LG V10 : New ESS Chipped Flagship Android Phone from LG
Sep 7, 2016 at 7:30 PM Post #2,836 of 3,525
So the V20 does have an entirely new chip: the 9218. Can't find detailed specs for it on ESS's site yet so no idea how LG got to the 'quad dac' marketing.

However, the 9218 has an integrated amp which should improve battery life. The V10's discrete 9602 amp still has some advantages (on paper at least) and both phones/chipsets appear to have the same 2Vrms max output.

No further mention (beyond a quote from an LG engineer several weeks ago) about the phone disabling some of it's internal dacs. Would also love to know if gain can be manually controlled this time or if the V20 will behave similar to the V10.

Look forward to hearing impressions and hopefully comparisons to the V10.

Sep 9, 2016 at 9:03 PM Post #2,837 of 3,525
So a couple days ago I pulled this from the inside of the headphone jack on my V10. Owned this phone since Oct 31st 2015. Lately I was having a couple separate issues prior to this. Phone was sometimes randomly skipping a song or starting over a song while using headphones while walking, like a button was pushed on a headset. Was getting the Google voice search pop-up again randomly. Was also beginning to notice that headphones weren't clicking in as firmly as they used to. I decided to stick something long and skinny in there and see if I was able to pull out any dirt or dust, and to my surprise this is what came out in one big chunk.

Sep 9, 2016 at 9:19 PM Post #2,839 of 3,525
What kind of headphones is everyone driving? I drove the Beyerdynamic DT1770 and the DT990 Pro 250 Ohm with no issues.

Had some AKG M220s for 3 days but they died last night, really disappointed in the build quality of it
mad.gif

Along with all my earbuds (some high ohm ones like Seahf 400ohm), JVC SZ2000, and KZ ZS3 on the rare occasion I want an IEM. V10 does well. I knew V20 was coming out when I bought mine, haha, might be why i got it for so little money
wink.gif

Sep 9, 2016 at 9:58 PM Post #2,842 of 3,525
So a couple days ago I pulled this from the inside of the headphone jack on my V10. Owned this phone since Oct 31st 2015. Lately I was having a couple separate issues prior to this. Phone was sometimes randomly skipping a song or starting over a song while using headphones while walking, like a button was pushed on a headset. Was getting the Google voice search pop-up again randomly. Was also beginning to notice that headphones weren't clicking in as firmly as they used to. I decided to stick something long and skinny in there and see if I was able to pull out any dirt or dust, and to my surprise this is what came out in one big chunk.

Invest in protective case like an otterbox defender, it works wonders.

Sep 9, 2016 at 10:24 PM Post #2,844 of 3,525
What kind of headphones is everyone driving? I drove the Beyerdynamic DT1770 and the DT990 Pro 250 Ohm with no issues.

Q701 mostly

Sep 10, 2016 at 12:04 AM Post #2,848 of 3,525
I used it with my Q701 as well, no problems driving them. That pairing was, however, a little too bright for my taste. Very detailed, though.

Bright and detailed is exactly what I like. I listen at a somewhat low volume, so a lot of detail is good for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back