LG V10 : New ESS Chipped Flagship Android Phone from LG
Jun 18, 2016 at 12:17 AM Post #2,522 of 3,525
Method for streaming 24bit files to LG V10 Marshmellow Localy.

1. Store your 24bit files on a Linux or Windows based server same LAN as the LG V10.

2. Setup Http File Server (HFS) to Share and Link your 24bit files via Intranet Website.
http://www.rejetto.com/hfs/

3. Install ServeStream Player on LG V10 Marshmellow. 
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.sourceforge.servestream&hl=en
HIFI Mode should work by default when 3.5mm plugged in.

4. Create M3U Playlist with HFS links, i personaly use a webrowser drag drop to VLC player to make M3U.

5. Open M3U playlist with HFS Link in SeverStream.

6. Keep Wifi ON when Screen is Off in Advance wifi settings.

The instructions are very basic i'm assuming you can figure it out.
Sorry for repeating post. I just hope more people see it.

Jun 24, 2016 at 4:14 AM Post #2,523 of 3,525
Anyone here able to compare the V10 to a Fiio E10k? because if this phone can come close to an E10K I'm buying one right now...
Also looking on XDA it seems like you can edit Mixer_paths.xml and make the lower gain modes go to the same analog hardware volume as "Line out" and "High-Gain" mode... as well as the 6.0 update apparently just keeping the ESS DAC on at all times now?

Jun 24, 2016 at 6:30 PM Post #2,524 of 3,525
Im willing to bet it sounds better than the E10K.

Jun 24, 2016 at 6:58 PM Post #2,525 of 3,525
Hi there
I'm a  new to all tjis and Im sure you guys don't have much time for people like me but I really need help. I like music and needed to buy a decent smartphone and not have to buy a DAP as well. The LGV10 came up here on your site as besides being a good phone, great camera etc, (bit big) but I was willing to buy it for the 32bit ESS DAC . I bought Poweramp more than a year ago and had it on my old Moto G2 and Moto G3, I sold the G3 and I know have the LGV10 bought it on amazon Germany as it's not sold here in Ireland on in the UK. Anyway installed Poweramp and Poweramp Alpha so the Hifi DAC would work with other apps. Problem is when Im listening with my headphones (ATH M50) and I switch the hi-fi DAC button on and off theres no difference in the sound quality. The sound seems like it could go louder. But Poweramp Alpha is much better than the stock music player but when I use that I can hear the difference when the h fi dac is on or off. Should I just install Poweramp Alpha on its own instead of installing Poweramp from Play store first and then download Poweramp alpha and install it on top of regular Poweramp? I like the phone but if it can't "handle" headphones with 28ohms what can I do? Is it me, what Im I doing wrong or are there any suggestions for a fix (Im running Kit kat) should I install Marshmallow will this help the sound improve? I know it's a pain having to answer but please help me out or Ill have to return the phone and probably continue to try and find a phone with decent loud sound. Appreciate your time in answering. Many thanks
Lorenzo

Jun 24, 2016 at 7:42 PM Post #2,527 of 3,525
It sounds like you listen at really loud volumes (which isn't a good thing). If you want the extra power you should consider getting a portable amplifier to piggy back the V10.

The V10 is one of the most powerful and best sounding phones there is.

It's the best phone I ever had.  I should have this one for a while..
wink.gif

Jun 24, 2016 at 7:44 PM Post #2,528 of 3,525
It sounds like you listen at really loud volumes (which isn't a good thing). If you want the extra power you should consider getting a portable amplifier to piggy back the V10.

The V10 is one of the most powerful and best sounding phones there is.

I agree, what a great sounding, and powerful phone the v10 is, I am enjoying having high quality sound with me at all times. It's great value to have this sort of sound built into the phone.
Hi there
I'm a  new to all tjis and Im sure you guys don't have much time for people like me but I really need help. I like music and needed to buy a decent smartphone and not have to buy a DAP as well. The LGV10 came up here on your site as besides being a good phone, great camera etc, (bit big) but I was willing to buy it for the 32bit ESS DAC . I bought Poweramp more than a year ago and had it on my old Moto G2 and Moto G3, I sold the G3 and I know have the LGV10 bought it on amazon Germany as it's not sold here in Ireland on in the UK. Anyway installed Poweramp and Poweramp Alpha so the Hifi DAC would work with other apps. Problem is when Im listening with my headphones (ATH M50) and I switch the hi-fi DAC button on and off theres no difference in the sound quality. The sound seems like it could go louder. But Poweramp Alpha is much better than the stock music player but when I use that I can hear the difference when the h fi dac is on or off. Should I just install Poweramp Alpha on its own instead of installing Poweramp from Play store first and then download Poweramp alpha and install it on top of regular Poweramp? I like the phone but if it can't "handle" headphones with 28ohms what can I do? Is it me, what Im I doing wrong or are there any suggestions for a fix (Im running Kit kat) should I install Marshmallow will this help the sound improve? I know it's a pain having to answer but please help me out or Ill have to return the phone and probably continue to try and find a phone with decent loud sound. Appreciate your time in answering. Many thanks
Lorenzo

Hi Lorenzo,

Try the hi-fi every where dac fix app,
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.phascinate.lgv10.dacfix

it's needed to trigger the ESS Sabre 9018C2M digital to analog converter chip inside, as well as an ESS 9602C headphone amplifier, in earlier versions of Android and 3rd party apps. And makes a huge difference once triggered.

The only thing big volumes will do is destroy the future enjoyment of your music listening. Please consider this.
All those great sounds will only be a memory once you can not hear it anymore.

Jun 24, 2016 at 9:22 PM Post #2,529 of 3,525
  Hi there
Lorenzo

Agreed, Poweramp (Alpha especially) is the best sounding music player.

But you need 50+ ohm headphones (and no mic/remote on the cable) to get the most power from the V10's internal amp.

However, here is a workaround:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/785335/lg-v10-hi-fi-audio-quality-review-on-serious-audio-performance/360#post_12119129

Also, if you don't upgrade to Marshmallow, get the Dac Fix app to ensure the dac works with Poweramp (MM does this automatically).

Jun 24, 2016 at 9:46 PM Post #2,530 of 3,525
Guys, is this bad feeling in my gut the chrones telling me that LG will not be releasing a v10 successor? I've been holding out on buying a v10 for a month hoping for an announcement, to no avail. I know some of you will say, "just buy the v10 you *****, it's amazing." Well I'm sure it is a-hole, but the processor is a little underpowered and I need this phone to last me at least 2 years. Is there any precedent for when LG will announce the new Fall flagship model??

Jun 24, 2016 at 9:49 PM Post #2,531 of 3,525
Well, the V10 came out last October. I'd assume if they were to have a successor it would come out about a year later. It hasn't been a year yet, it's only June. 

I got mine October 31st, which was launch day on Verizon. I still love it and have no real complaints. I don't think it's slow or underpowered at all. I remember immediately thinking it actually seemed quicker and smoother than the HTC One M9, that My V10 replaced, which had the 810, instead of the 808, but only 3gb of ram, instead of 4 on the V10. I plan on keeping my V10 for a while. 

Jun 24, 2016 at 10:32 PM Post #2,532 of 3,525
Guys, is this bad feeling in my gut the chrones telling me that LG will not be releasing a v10 successor? I've been holding out on buying a v10 for a month hoping for an announcement, to no avail. I know some of you will say, "just buy the v10 you *****, it's amazing." Well I'm sure it is a-hole, but the processor is a little underpowered and I need this phone to last me at least 2 years. Is there any precedent for when LG will announce the new Fall flagship model??

Underpowered for what exactly?

The V10 has a hexacore cpu with 4GB RAM and the the so-called higher power chips (810 and 820) are too often synonymous with overheating. I've yet to experience any lag on my V10 since getting it 8 months ago. Granted, I'm not doing VR but even that requires a very high-end PC.

I think the G5 and dac module were supposed to succeed the V10 but LG botched it by not releasing that module stateside. So you get a slightly faster cpu but have to spend more (for the newer phone plus the module; if it works were you live). Besides, V10 prices have fallen a since I got mine. I've seen them around $400 more than once. Most good daps cost more than that (believe me; I've got a draw full of players that I rarely touch since getting the V10).

Seems we get too caught up in specs instead of just enjoying what's there and that includes listening to our music.

Jun 24, 2016 at 11:26 PM Post #2,533 of 3,525
Underpowered compared to other new phones obviously. While benchmarks are overused and not particularly useful, the v10 does get crushed by other phones. I agree that it's probably fine for anything I will throw at it, but I thought the same about my HTC m8, and it's starting to crap out on me and lag after a year and a half. I'd prefer to get a newer processor for future-proofing purposes. Overheating is a problem though, so maybe I'll have to weigh plus/minus of the 820 processors.

Jun 25, 2016 at 12:32 AM Post #2,534 of 3,525
Snap dragon 808 isn't a slug by any means, but in real world usage. If it meant I would loose runtime for a slightly faster CPU, I would stick with the 808. It's fast in real life usage.
Quite often the slow down of the phone's happen because they are running to many installed apps in the background. That never ever close once you use them, hogging valuable CPU cycles.

But back to the 808, it's running liquid smooth for music and everything I do. I do use Shut App to close all running background apps, that don't need to be there. Highly recommend people do this.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.yirga.shutapp&hl=en

It will gift back a lot of battery run time.
As well as freeing up heaps of system resources, giving you back a smooth operating system.

Jun 25, 2016 at 7:40 PM Post #2,535 of 3,525
Agreed, Poweramp (Alpha especially) is the best sounding music player.

But you need 50+ ohm headphones (and no mic/remote on the cable) to get the most power from the V10's internal amp.

However, here is a workaround:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/785335/lg-v10-hi-fi-audio-quality-review-on-serious-audio-performance/360#post_12119129

Also, if you don't upgrade to Marshmallow, get the Dac Fix app to ensure the dac works with Poweramp (MM does this automatically).

Hi gr8soundz
Thanks for your reply so you think the athm50x Im using aren't the best headphones for this phone? I thought having a lower impedance 28ohms If Im correct would be easier for the dac to drive.Ive downloaded the hifi dac fix but as I can't get MM on this phone (it says the software is up to date) Do you think I should get MM with LG Bridge or just wait and see if Ill get an OTA update. Phone was bought on amazon Germany and Im in Ireland where LG doesn"t sell this model. Many thanks for your time I really appreciate it and all the people who helped & answered my question.
Regards
Lorenzo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back