LG V10 : New ESS Chipped Flagship Android Phone from LG
Apr 12, 2016 at 7:54 AM Post #2,341 of 3,525
I'm also going to be upgrading from the LG G3 to the LG V10 so excited!! 

Did the exact thing a few months ago...very happy I did; a solid DAP and phone all-in-one! Has allowed me to listen to headphones while traveling and is amazing at how well it drives them.

Do yourself a favor get an 'extender cable' that everyone talks about. Being able to put it in 'Aux mode' definitely makes a difference for some IEMs and many headphones.

Apr 12, 2016 at 11:44 AM Post #2,342 of 3,525
Updated to Poweramp Alpha v702 last night and made this tweak. It really is a great, much needed addition. Thanks for posting about it.

Also found another new experimental tweak for Hi-Res output. I've yet to see any bitperfect option so, until now, everything seemed to output at 16/48 at the headphone jack. Now, after enabling hi-res, everything is upsampled to 24/192. Poweramp Alpha now sounds even more amazing and it's sound quality was already well ahead of most other music apps before these new options.

I also recommend checking "No Headphone Gain" in the hi-res settings otherwise the volume output sounds lower at the same level (I'm guessing to prevent clipping; not sure if Hi-Res also reduced the preamp level but I had to reset mine back to 0 level). I instead turned on the Limit next to the EQ and Tone controls for a similar effect without the volume penalty.

My Fostex mk3s were a good match before but, with these new tweaks, they now sound incredible out of the V10.

Hey everyone!
Just testing Poweramp alpha v702 and was wondering why the volume goes down when I enable the hi-res output and even get some distortion. I tried all various kind of settings, also headroom gain en-/disabled, but enabling the audiotrack output or opensl es output are much louder and of better quality, with any flac- or mp3-files. The sound there with my Beyerdynamics t90 is quite awesome actually :) Hifi Dac fix app is enabled too.
Anyone with similar experiences or any idea what else to change on the settings?
thanx in advance!

Apr 12, 2016 at 12:42 PM Post #2,343 of 3,525
The hi-res is still experimental so we may see different behaviors but I found that turning it on disabled the opensl output (at least for the headphone jack). Re-enabling opensl for headset/wired also disables hi-res on the same output.

There seems to be no way to have both enabled at the same time for the headphone jack. Even though each setting appears to be on or active, once you touch on the settings for each (to the right), you'll see which one is on.

This is why I recommended turning off headphone gain and using the limiter.

Apr 13, 2016 at 8:01 AM Post #2,344 of 3,525
Thank you for replying, gr8soundz!
Yes, only 1 output option - AudioTrack, Hi-Res or OpenSL - can be enabled. I was, as said, just surprised to see /hear the decrease in quality with the Hi-Res output no matter what other settings I change, as most here described it as an improvement. But maybe, as you mentioned, it is due to the experimental status and will change with the official release of poweramp v3.
I'm also wondering, if the phone will sound even better with android 6.0, but I can't update yet.

Apr 13, 2016 at 9:54 AM Post #2,345 of 3,525
New owner of V10 here! Out of the box the sound is indeed amazing. Probably the best sound from a phone I've ever heard (the Xiaomi Mi Note coming close second). Have some questions regarding the sound though:

1. At high gain near max volume, do you hear the amp straining/struggling to deliver the volume? (At near max volume my V10 sounds a little harsher which is slightly unpleasant)

2. Does the sound change/improve with burn-in? If yes, how many hours is recommended?

Appreciate it if someone could answer my questions. Thanks in advance!

Apr 13, 2016 at 1:58 PM Post #2,346 of 3,525
I own it since last November and I use a high impedance Headphones (AKG K7XX) and no changes with burn in and no problems with high volume in high gain mode.

I'm still in love with this phone and I just can't imagine anything better than this. I hope to keep it for a loooong time.

Apr 13, 2016 at 3:22 PM Post #2,348 of 3,525
  Thank you for replying, gr8soundz!
Yes, only 1 output option - AudioTrack, Hi-Res or OpenSL - can be enabled. I was, as said, just surprised to see /hear the decrease in quality with the Hi-Res output no matter what other settings I change, as most here described it as an improvement. But maybe, as you mentioned, it is due to the experimental status and will change with the official release of poweramp v3.
I'm also wondering, if the phone will sound even better with android 6.0, but I can't update yet.

Try using the LG Bridge software. My V10 said it was up to date but the Bridge software found and installed the update today. Took a little over an hour.

My V10's theme and settings stayed mostly the same but the Dac Fix app is indeed no longer needed. Not sure yet if music sounds better but I'll keep listening.

Apr 13, 2016 at 5:54 PM Post #2,349 of 3,525
Try using the LG Bridge software. My V10 said it was up to date but the Bridge software found and installed the update today. Took a little over an hour.

My V10's theme and settings stayed mostly the same but the Dac Fix app is indeed no longer needed. Not sure yet if music sounds better but I'll keep listening.

I tried to update via LG Bridge, but it couldn't identify my software. I got in touch with the support and they said, although the update is available in Germany with the same model (LG-H960a), the update is not available for Switzerland, where I live, yet.
Well, Marshmallow is (or will be for me hopefully soon :wink:) already more convenient concerning not to be dependent anymore on the Hifi everywhere app, as thankful as we can be it was created. I would be even more happy, if LG could still come up with a manual high gain on/off for the fabulous Sabre DAC.

Apr 13, 2016 at 6:48 PM Post #2,350 of 3,525
Having issues with LG Bridge update as well, I'm on a Polish H960 in the UK and am getting the 'cannot check software version' error which is I presume because the update is not available for the UK.

Is there any way to make LG Bridge think you are somewhere else? (I'm using the Mac version)

Apr 13, 2016 at 6:57 PM Post #2,351 of 3,525
Jesus Christ the amp is insanely good for driving the Momentum Black wired.

Someone mentioned that you can't use the remote-mic cable and the hi-fi DAC, but in my case I can. I did use the DAC fix from the play store, but it does work.

Apr 13, 2016 at 7:27 PM Post #2,352 of 3,525
I tried to update via LG Bridge, but it couldn't identify my software. I got in touch with the support and they said, although the update is available in Germany with the same model (LG-H960a), the update is not available for Switzerland, where I live, yet.
Well, Marshmallow is (or will be for me hopefully soon :wink:) already more convenient concerning not to be dependent anymore on the Hifi everywhere app, as thankful as we can be it was created. I would be even more happy, if LG could still come up with a manual high gain on/off for the fabulous Sabre DAC.

Yes, lack of manual gain is the only thing keeping the V10 from being a near perfect DAP (with a built-in phone).

Jesus Christ the amp is insanely good for driving the Momentum Black wired.

Someone mentioned that you can't use the remote-mic cable and the hi-fi DAC, but in my case I can. I did use the DAC fix from the play store, but it does work.

Remote cables work fine in normal and aux mode. The V10 will never go into high with that type of cable (the Momentums are lower impedance anyway) but I did a swap using using an extender and a remote cable on high. The V10 just ignores any button presses on the remote.

Apr 13, 2016 at 7:37 PM Post #2,353 of 3,525

Yes, lack of manual gain is the only thing keeping the V10 from being a near perfect DAP (with a built-in phone).

Remote cables work fine in normal and aux mode. The V10 will never go into high with that type of cable (the Momentums are lower impedance anyway) but I did a swap using using an extender and a remote cable on high. The V10 just ignores any button presses on the remote.

The remote works fine with me! And unlike using it with the HTC One M8 the volume buttons actually work with the V10 instead of acting as previous / next song buttons.

Apr 13, 2016 at 7:44 PM Post #2,355 of 3,525

I agree though using HI-FI mode doesn't make the sound louder. But the controls do seem to work.

Yeah I can definitely confirm this about the cable situation. The non-mic cables enable better amplification when HI-FI DAC mode is enabled compared to the mic ones. The mic cables controls work nicely though, so there's that. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back