LG V10 : New ESS Chipped Flagship Android Phone from LG
Apr 3, 2016 at 2:16 PM Post #2,326 of 3,525
Found something cool with the new poweramp alpha release. In the audio setting under advanced tweaks, you can set more volume steps. Really helps when the stock v10 volume is either too high or too low. Now I can set the volume more precisely.

Updated to Poweramp Alpha v702 last night and made this tweak. It really is a great, much needed addition. Thanks for posting about it.

Also found another new experimental tweak for Hi-Res output. I've yet to see any bitperfect option so, until now, everything seemed to output at 16/48 at the headphone jack. Now, after enabling hi-res, everything is upsampled to 24/192. Poweramp Alpha now sounds even more amazing and it's sound quality was already well ahead of most other music apps before these new options.

I also recommend checking "No Headphone Gain" in the hi-res settings otherwise the volume output sounds lower at the same level (I'm guessing to prevent clipping; not sure if Hi-Res also reduced the preamp level but I had to reset mine back to 0 level). I instead turned on the Limit next to the EQ and Tone controls for a similar effect without the volume penalty.

My Fostex mk3s were a good match before but, with these new tweaks, they now sound incredible out of the V10.

Apr 4, 2016 at 12:24 AM Post #2,328 of 3,525
Wow, I thanks gr8soundz. I played with the hi-res option and heard an improvement. But the volume was lowered and gave up on it. Not that I checked "No Headphone Gain",the volume is back again. Loving poweramp, this phone, and site even more.

Apr 4, 2016 at 1:18 AM Post #2,329 of 3,525
I only found it after trying the tweak you posted. Didn't even know about the 702 release. Even after updating, I assumed it was mostly bug fixes. Had no idea they added such great additional features. Best $3.99 I've spent on audio anything.

Apr 4, 2016 at 9:05 AM Post #2,331 of 3,525
That's right Vince..  Glad you finally caved in!     
wink.gif

Apr 4, 2016 at 3:26 PM Post #2,333 of 3,525
How is the V10 with the Sennheiser Momentum Black (a.k.a. Momentum 2.0 Over-Hear)?

I've used it with my HTC M8 for over a year and it's been great, but it's not very great for the low-end. E.g. a dedicated amp does wonders for the Momentums.

The V10 is quite a bit bigger than the M8 which might be an issue (see here http://www.phonearena.com/phones/size#/phones/size/HTC-One-M9,LG-V10/phones/9003,9679 (no M8 on that site)), but I would be ok with that if the V10 really is that much better than the HTC One M8.

Does anyone know if there's a place I could try out the V10 in Berlin before buying?

Apr 5, 2016 at 1:12 PM Post #2,334 of 3,525
Updated to Poweramp Alpha v702 last night and made this tweak. It really is a great, much needed addition. Thanks for posting about it.

Also found another new experimental tweak for Hi-Res output. I've yet to see any bitperfect option so, until now, everything seemed to output at 16/48 at the headphone jack. Now, after enabling hi-res, everything is upsampled to 24/192. Poweramp Alpha now sounds even more amazing and it's sound quality was already well ahead of most other music apps before these new options.

I also recommend checking "No Headphone Gain" in the hi-res settings otherwise the volume output sounds lower at the same level (I'm guessing to prevent clipping; not sure if Hi-Res also reduced the preamp level but I had to reset mine back to 0 level). I instead turned on the Limit next to the EQ and Tone controls for a similar effect without the volume penalty.

My Fostex mk3s were a good match before but, with these new tweaks, they now sound incredible out of the V10.

Does the hi res setting only work for lg v10? Testing the app now using my xperia z3 compact and am seeing this "variant: usb dac only" only able to adjust settings for usb dac. Don't see any other options

Apr 5, 2016 at 8:23 PM Post #2,335 of 3,525
I only have the V10 so not sure what options should appear on other phones. The tweak is experimental and it showed Snapdragon on the source even though the ESS dac was on. Z3 also has a Snapdragon but Sony may have implemented it differently.

Apr 10, 2016 at 5:24 PM Post #2,336 of 3,525
  How is the V10 with the Sennheiser Momentum Black (a.k.a. Momentum 2.0 Over-Hear)?

I've used it with my HTC M8 for over a year and it's been great, but it's not very great for the low-end. E.g. a dedicated amp does wonders for the Momentums.

The V10 is quite a bit bigger than the M8 which might be an issue (see here http://www.phonearena.com/phones/size#/phones/size/HTC-One-M9,LG-V10/phones/9003,9679 (no M8 on that site)), but I would be ok with that if the V10 really is that much better than the HTC One M8.

Does anyone know if there's a place I could try out the V10 in Berlin before buying?

Guess I'm going to find out. I've ended up buying it (that and the new wireless M2's which I'll occasionally use wired with the LG10). Gonna be exciting!

Apr 11, 2016 at 9:16 AM Post #2,339 of 3,525
Has anyone tried the asg 2.5 with V10? Does it need to be paired with an amp?
I use that exact combination. It does not need an amp. You can trigger the higher modes either by removing the cable from the earbuds, plugging the cable in and then the ear buds which will get you to aux mode or by using the dial voicemail hack for high gain mode. Both will bring the best out of your headphones. The sound is very good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back