LG V10 : New ESS Chipped Flagship Android Phone from LG
Jan 29, 2016 at 9:13 PM Post #1,981 of 3,525
Should give Neutron MP a try too. Many overlook this player probably because the UI isn't that attractive but personally I feel this player gives the best audio quality on Android, even better than the new poweramp alpha build.

Jan 29, 2016 at 9:32 PM Post #1,982 of 3,525
Should give Neutron MP a try too. Many overlook this player probably because the UI isn't that attractive but personally I feel this player gives the best audio quality on Android, even better than the new poweramp alpha build.

I've been using Neutron for years. Had in on my Galaxy S4 and M9. I may end up trying it on my V10 here eventually too i guess. I've been happy with the stock lg music app, then tonight decided to try the new Poweramp. I've purchased both.

Jan 29, 2016 at 10:23 PM Post #1,983 of 3,525
I don't know if this has been discussed before, but has anyone noticed that using Direct Volume Control in Poweramp breaks the precision volume controls for the V10? With it checked, I can still adjust the volume by single steps visually, but it only actually makes an actual difference in sound every 5 steps, so 75 steps really become 15. If I uncheck the option, the single steps actually do something. Anyone else seen this?

Jan 29, 2016 at 11:15 PM Post #1,984 of 3,525
I don't know if this has been discussed before, but has anyone noticed that using Direct Volume Control in Poweramp breaks the precision volume controls for the V10? With it checked, I can still adjust the volume by single steps visually, but it only actually makes an actual difference in sound every 5 steps, so 75 steps really become 15. If I uncheck the option, the single steps actually do something. Anyone else seen this?

Just tried this. With it on, i press the volume toggles, it goes +- 5. Howevrer, I can still manually adjust by increments of 1 on the notification slider, though each step is just a little bit more volume, slightly noticeable.

But when I turned Direct Control off, the volume was not as loud on the same volume.

Jan 29, 2016 at 11:38 PM Post #1,985 of 3,525
Neutron does something similar. It has 100 levels of volume but the V10 still maxes at 75. Unless you adjust the slider manually each time, volume up/down on the phone sometimes skips around on the first press until both are back in sync.

I have both Neutron and Poweramp Alpha installed and running with the Dac Fix on. Neutron still sounds great but (imo) the Alpha sounds a bit smoother, fuller, and more cohesive.

Jan 30, 2016 at 12:13 AM Post #1,986 of 3,525
Just tried this. With it on, i press the volume toggles, it goes +- 5. Howevrer, I can still manually adjust by increments of 1 on the notification slider, though each step is just a little bit more volume, slightly noticeable.

But when I turned Direct Control off, the volume was not as loud on the same volume.

Are you sure there's a difference when you use the increments of 1? I can move the slider either way, but I can't hear any difference moving from, say 31 to 32 with Direct Control on, there's only a difference between 30 and 35. With it off, moving the slider in increments of 1 actually makes a difference. 

Jan 30, 2016 at 12:18 AM Post #1,987 of 3,525
Are you sure there's a difference when you use the increments of 1? I can move the slider either way, but I can't hear any difference moving from, say 31 to 32 with Direct Control on, there's only a difference between 30 and 35. With it off, moving the slider in increments of 1 actually makes a difference. 

For me, yes. But really it's very very slight, gets more apparent as I hit every 5 volume

Jan 30, 2016 at 12:21 AM Post #1,988 of 3,525
For me, yes. But really it's very very slight, gets more apparent as I hit every 5 volume

Hmm, interesting. For me there's only a noticeable difference between single increments with the Direct Volume Control off. I've tested with different headphones, and it's the same. 

Jan 30, 2016 at 3:21 AM Post #1,989 of 3,525

If you don't have high impedance headphones (50ohms+), this will trigger the 32 bit Hi-Fi DAC in AUX mode...

Use an adapter before plugging in the headphones...like this one
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KE5NJ7W/ref=s9_simh_gw_g107_i1_r?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=desktop-1&pf_rd_r=00QG93QGGDGC1PAAH602&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=2079475242&pf_rd_i=desktop

I use the extended headphone adapter that comes with LifeProof smartphone case, which works well for my SONY MDR-XB90EX IEMs.

If you have headphones that have a detachable cable, plug the cable in first without the headphones and then connect the headphone...this will also trigger AUX mode.

I using fullsized at home, but during commute and at work I used Fidue A83 Iems. So you are saying if I don't use such a cable I won't able to enjoy the benefits of high quality sound quality with the V10? I felt the G4 lacked compared to my Fiio X1 for example and if it was really loud it wasn't able to push enough volume. So without this it will use the Qualcom chip, same as in G4 or am I misunderstanding something? 

Shipping of that cable is 13 $

I rather not go through hassle and buy something else if you have go lot of hassle to get benefit of the sound chip in v10

Jan 30, 2016 at 3:33 AM Post #1,990 of 3,525

I using fullsized at home, but during commute and at work I used Fidue A83 Iems. So you are saying if I don't use such a cable I won't able to enjoy the benefits of high quality sound quality with the V10? I felt the G4 lacked compared to my Fiio X1 for example and if it was really loud it wasn't able to push enough volume. So without this it will use the Qualcom chip, same as in G4 or am I misunderstanding something? 

Shipping of that cable is 13 $

I rather not go through hassle and buy something else if you have go lot of hassle to get benefit of the sound chip in v10

This method is only to trigger the AUX mode of the Sabre Amp and utilize it at full power.
Same as using high impedance headphones.

The Sabre 32 bit Hi-Fi DAC will still be activated, but based on the V10's auto adjustment for "Normal" impedance level for headphones that are lower than 50ohms.

The use of the adapter is to bypass the auto function.

Jan 30, 2016 at 3:44 AM Post #1,991 of 3,525

This method is only to trigger the AUX mode of the Sabre Amp and utilize it at full power.
Same as using high impedance headphones.

The Sabre 32 bit Hi-Fi DAC will still be activated, but based on the V10's auto adjustment for "Normal" impedance level for headphones that are lower than 50ohms.

The use of the adapter is to bypass the auto function.

Is the auto mode bad and will it still sound better than G4? I am not really an expert in this, I just enjoy good quality? So my purchase was not in vain even if I don't use the extra cable?

Jan 30, 2016 at 3:52 AM Post #1,992 of 3,525

Is the auto mode bad and will it still sound better than G4? I am not really an expert in this, I just enjoy good quality? So my purchase was not in vain even if I don't use the extra cable?

The output in "Normal" mode will be slightly lower in volume compared to "High" and "AUX" mode.
It really depends on the headphones and its sensitivity also...I would say that if the usual volume for normal will be about 30...in AUX/High it will be about 20.
The max volume is 75 on the V10's Hi-Fi DAC/Amp.

The audio will definitely be better than the G4...no comparison, so don't worry about that!

Jan 30, 2016 at 3:59 AM Post #1,993 of 3,525
I don't see why not...
Since the V10 already has the Sabre 32 bit DAC and Amp already built in...why would you "need" to go external?
[/quote]

Maybe to connect a mojo in the future. So there are no reported issues yet for the usb dac amp function? Or no one has tried yet?

Jan 30, 2016 at 4:06 AM Post #1,994 of 3,525
I don't see why not...
Since the V10 already has the Sabre 32 bit DAC and Amp already built in...why would you "need" to go external?

Maybe to connect a mojo in the future. So there are no reported issues yet for the usb dac amp function? Or no one has tried yet?[/quote]

Yes, I see.
I don't have any experience regarding this, so I'm not able to help you with this question.

I'm sure someone will chime in who does...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back