LG V10 : New ESS Chipped Flagship Android Phone from LG
Jan 21, 2016 at 12:29 AM Post #1,861 of 3,525
  Another fan of otterbox cases here. I've had one for my last 3 phones. My only beef is how it makes the fingerprint reader on the v10 useless. The only fix seems to be to put a strip of metallic tape on it. Which peels in a week or so, since adhesives don't work well on rubber. 

I know there's an update to address this. But I'm on t-mobile :frowning2:

Still not a fan of fingerprint readers. Rather not have my thumb print (no encryption is 100%) stored in a device that can be misplaced or stolen. Tried it once on my V10 but undid it; not reliable enough on the first try. Use the LG Knock Code instead which I think is brilliant.

So the V10 has great DAC/Amp, but how about the camera?  Here's the latest Gsmarena shootout between Iphone 6s Plus, Lumia 950XL, Note 5 and LG V10.

Spoiler, V10 wins all categories except one where it came second.

Camera is the second reason (read about the manual controls, laser and color sensors, and OIS) I jumped on the V10. As a former Nokia 808 user, camera specs now play a big role in my purchases. I knew the V10 had the best sound AND camera.

..... a $600- phone is a $600- phone and glass, whether double, triple or quadruple will eventually Break. Protecting investment was never overkill. If I did not (for now) fixed a very tough laminate on the touch screen since day 1 with my V10, this dual layer should've been a scratched dual layer... till now I'm still contemplating which case cover i'll use.....

Investment is right. Can't speak for others, but I for one can't afford to upgrade or replace my phone every 6 months.

Jan 21, 2016 at 12:37 AM Post #1,862 of 3,525
You don't need an impedance adapter to trigger the AUX mode.  Just a short 1/8 TRS M-F cable is all you need.

I tried to trick my V10 into the 50-600 ohm setting with 75 and a 125 ohm resistive adapters, and my Grados and it made the sound all muddy, distorted, quiet and congested.  Weird... no good.

Thanks. Can you send me a link to that particular item?

Jan 21, 2016 at 11:08 AM Post #1,864 of 3,525
What are the chances the upcoming LG G5 will have the same DAC as the V10?

There are rumors that the G5 will have an expansion slot that allows for different modules to be bought to expand functionality. An audio amplifier has been one of the possibilities mentioned. I imagine if that is accurate it could be an optional DAC/Amp combo similar to the V10.

Jan 21, 2016 at 11:44 AM Post #1,865 of 3,525
There are rumors that the G5 will have an expansion slot that allows for different modules to be bought to expand functionality. An audio amplifier has been one of the possibilities mentioned. I imagine if that is accurate it could be an optional DAC/Amp combo similar to the V10.

Similar ? No ways...we want a good DAC with Balanced connection :D

Jan 21, 2016 at 1:31 PM Post #1,866 of 3,525
What are the chances the upcoming LG G5 will have the same DAC as the V10?

Yeah I had the V10 barely 1.5 days without a case.  I figured I would surf around amazon and the youtube reviews and maybe order one once I make up my mind what case to get.  Pins and needles the whole time!!!  Marched right back into the Verizon store and got the otterbox.  Didn't even bother surfing the www for reviews, once I found out Lifeproof and griffin don't make V10 cases.  I do not regret that decision one bit.

I tried the Otter Box Defender :/ it wiggled on my v10 an I could never get the Screen protector it came with to sit even an cleanly on the phone imo 

Don't get me wrong, the V10 was built to be durable. The dual-layer Gorilla Glass and rubber back are there for a reason. It even has an IP67 rating and the drop test showed superior results:

But I ALWAYS get an Otterbox (except for the rare occasion when they don't make one for a phone I buy). Didn't even order the V10 until after I confirmed there was a Defender case available for it. May be overkill but the V10 is still a $600 phone.

Imagine how happy we'd be if Otterbox made Defender cases for DAPs like A&K, iBasso, Sony, or pretty much any player with a touchscreen.

as to the build, I can admit to dropping mine glass first a few times now q.q an aside from some scratches the screens held up really well. I'm currently waiting for either a Random Order or Tech 21 screen protector. I tried a cheapo on one Amazon... it didn't even fit :/ it was to big an not adhesive enough imo [plus you had to really dig into the screen for the Knock On an off to work]

I've heard the same as well, GSM is doing a good job reporting the rumors as they hit 

Jan 21, 2016 at 2:22 PM Post #1,867 of 3,525
" I tried the Otter Box Defender :/ it wiggled on my v10 an I could never get the Screen protector it came with to sit even an cleanly on the phone imo I tried the Otter Box Defender :/ it wiggled on my v10 an I could never get the Screen protector it came with to sit even an cleanly on the phone imo  "

This almost sounds like they sent you a counterfeit, or perhaps the wrong case.  The otterbox on my phone fits perfectly tight and snug.  There is absolutely NO wiggle or free space.

The clear plastic screen protector is integral and attached to the case  Its not an adhesive type though.  So its not as clean looking as a peel and stick protector.

Jan 21, 2016 at 3:10 PM Post #1,868 of 3,525
  " I tried the Otter Box Defender :/ it wiggled on my v10 an I could never get the Screen protector it came with to sit even an cleanly on the phone imo I tried the Otter Box Defender :/ it wiggled on my v10 an I could never get the Screen protector it came with to sit even an cleanly on the phone imo  "

This almost sounds like they sent you a counterfeit, or perhaps the wrong case.  The otterbox on my phone fits perfectly tight and snug.  There is absolutely NO wiggle or free space.

The clear plastic screen protector is integral and attached to the case  Its not an adhesive type though.  So its not as clean looking as a peel and stick protector.

well it's not a counterfit, it was just opened on the sales floor far to many times. An yea I'm not really crazy about the non Adhesive types imo 

Jan 21, 2016 at 4:02 PM Post #1,869 of 3,525
  well it's not a counterfit, it was just opened on the sales floor far to many times. An yea I'm not really crazy about the non Adhesive types imo 

Got mine direct from Otterbox this time (paid close to full price). Didn't want to risk getting a fake like one I returned for my Note 3. Made it easier to sell the Note too since it looked absolutely brand new after 2 years encased usage.

For me, the hard screen protector is the best part of the Defender. Without it the case would just be another slip on cover that doesn't protect the most delicate part of phone. Not 100% ideal for touch sensitivity and glare but I've had no issues using it with my V10 (although I'm used to the cases after so many years).

Jan 21, 2016 at 5:17 PM Post #1,870 of 3,525

Got mine direct from Otterbox this time (paid close to full price). Didn't want to risk getting a fake like one I returned for my Note 3. Made it easier to sell the Note too since it looked absolutely brand new after 2 years encased usage.

For me, the hard screen protector is the best part of the Defender. Without it the case would just be another slip on cover that doesn't protect the most delicate part of phone. Not 100% ideal for touch sensitivity and glare but I've had no issues using it with my V10 (although I'm used to the cases after so many years).

well I've used stick on Screen Protectors with even better protection :/ the brands I like just have not made a screen protector for it yet >.> I'd like to see a commuter series for the V10 to 

Jan 21, 2016 at 5:44 PM Post #1,871 of 3,525

I tried the Otter Box Defender :/ it wiggled on my v10 an I could never get the Screen protector it came with to sit even an cleanly on the phone imo 

as to the build, I can admit to dropping mine glass first a few times now q.q an aside from some scratches the screens held up really well. I'm currently waiting for either a Random Order or Tech 21 screen protector. I tried a cheapo on one Amazon... it didn't even fit :/ it was to big an not adhesive enough imo [plus you had to really dig into the screen for the Knock On an off to work]

I've heard the same as well, GSM is doing a good job reporting the rumors as they hit 

whas funny about that glass, is that I've dropped phone couple of times with no case just a screen protector and nothing but a couple of dings.

My friend had his phone in is pocket with a gopro in the upper pocket while we were snowboarding.  sometime during the day he pulled out his phone and the screened was cracked.  I was with him all day and he didn't fall.

We came up with the conclusion that some how when we were sitting down in between runs.  Maybe the corner of the gopro pressed up against his phone and put enough presure to crack it.

Just thought it was odd after seeing this video and the guy said that the screen didn't crack till the last toss in the air.

Edit, He also was using a case and glass protector 

Jan 21, 2016 at 5:54 PM Post #1,872 of 3,525
I use a tempered glass screen protector from Yootech along with a thin TPU case made by Pleson (and I added some aluminum tape so the fingerprint scanner works). Doesn't offer Otterbox level protector, but it keeps down the bulk and should help with small drops

Jan 21, 2016 at 5:59 PM Post #1,873 of 3,525
I use a tempered glass screen protector from Yootech along with a thin TPU case made by Pleson (and I added some aluminum tape so the fingerprint scanner works). Doesn't offer Otterbox level protector, but it keeps down the bulk and should help with small drops

I tried the Yootech screen protector and I couldn't get it to stick onto my V10 an even when it was partially on there it made things harder to do, touch wise

and fyi I work in Wireless sales, I apply at least 3-4 screen protectors daily 

Jan 21, 2016 at 6:05 PM Post #1,874 of 3,525
I tried the Yootech screen protector and I couldn't get it to stick onto my V10 an even when it was partially on there it made things harder to do, touch wise

Interesting, I haven't noticed any touch screen issues personally, and application was a breeze

Jan 21, 2016 at 6:18 PM Post #1,875 of 3,525

Interesting, I haven't noticed any touch screen issues personally, and application was a breeze

meh I'm going to try another brand and see how that goes it's rated with eqaul amounts of positivity 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back