LG V10 : New ESS Chipped Flagship Android Phone from LG
Jan 20, 2016 at 9:53 PM Post #1,848 of 3,525
Are you guys happy with the build quality? I'm not as happy as I was with Sammy. Back cover is peeling, USB port has become very loose, and my phone speaker works intermittently when on calls, but always works on music. That just started a few days prior. Still love the phone, and couldn't use a Sammy without battery and SD. I could just get another DAP, if I did have a Sammy, which I'm going to do anyway while owning this phone.

Jan 20, 2016 at 10:08 PM Post #1,850 of 3,525
Are you guys happy with the build quality? I'm not as happy as I was with Sammy. Back cover is peeling, USB port has become very loose, and my phone speaker works intermittently when on calls, but always works on music. That just started a few days prior. Still love the phone, and couldn't use a Sammy without battery and SD. I could just get another DAP, if I did have a Sammy, which I'm going to do anyway while owning this phone.

So far so good, its about what I expected for a rubber-ized plastic phone.  I use an otterbox defender, so its kind of a moot point.  Theres NO WAY I would use this phone without a very beefy case.  I am very rough with my phones.

I am coming from an iphone 5C which is built like a brick.  I also had a Sony xperia Z3 with its gloriously stunning tinted glass, rubber and brushed aluminum.  The V10 looks and feels cheap by that comparison.  By itself though it holds its own and feels just fine.

As far as physical robustness and durability goes... no contest the iPhone lightning connector (the actual connector plug) completely obliterates micro USB, the two aren't even in the same ball-park.

Regarding the peeling back cover... can't you buy a replacement?  I would MUCH rather have that than a glass case back that shatters.  My Xperia lasted 45 days (!!) before I destroyed it.  Glass case-backs, regardless of how pretty are THE major deal breaker in my book.  I mean Apple doesn't even do that anymore and they generally are like (what?) 1.5~2 years behind the technology curve?  I really don't understand it... I mean if they want glass on the case back, can't they use polycarbonate or plexi-glass... and have the consumer adhere an adhesive glass protector over it?  Or does that make too much sense?

Jan 20, 2016 at 10:35 PM Post #1,851 of 3,525
  So far so good, its about what I expected for a rubber-ized plastic phone.  I use an otterbox defender, so its kind of a moot point.  Theres NO WAY I would use this phone without a very beefy case.  I am very rough with my phones.

I am coming from an iphone 5C which is built like a brick.  I also had a Sony xperia Z3 with its gloriously stunning tinted glass, rubber and brushed aluminum.  The V10 looks and feels cheap by that comparison.  By itself though it holds its own and feels just fine.

As far as physical robustness and durability goes... no contest the iPhone lightning connector (the actual connector plug) completely obliterates micro USB, the two aren't even in the same ball-park.

Same here. Always go with Otterbox and wouldn't insert my sim into the V10 until after the Defender arrived. My brother, on the other hand, refuses to use a case and has cracked his Samsung phone twice in the past few months.

Haven't used a lightning port yet but I wasn't a fan of the change from mini-usb to micro, which has had durability issues from day one. My old Nokia N900 was known for bad micro-usb ports over time so I babied mine for 2 years (had an Otterbox for it too) and had no issues. Now I mostly use wireless charging on my V10 to save wear and tear on the usb port.

Jan 20, 2016 at 10:42 PM Post #1,852 of 3,525
Yeah I had the V10 barely 1.5 days without a case.  I figured I would surf around amazon and the youtube reviews and maybe order one once I make up my mind what case to get.  Pins and needles the whole time!!!  Marched right back into the Verizon store and got the otterbox.  Didn't even bother surfing the www for reviews, once I found out Lifeproof and griffin don't make V10 cases.  I do not regret that decision one bit.

Jan 20, 2016 at 10:49 PM Post #1,853 of 3,525
I use my V10 without a case and think the build quality is pretty fantastic.  I'll take the rugged aesthetic any day over the glass/fingerprint magnet you get from Samsung.  

Jan 20, 2016 at 11:14 PM Post #1,854 of 3,525
Don't get me wrong, the V10 was built to be durable. The dual-layer Gorilla Glass and rubber back are there for a reason. It even has an IP67 rating and the drop test showed superior results:

But I ALWAYS get an Otterbox (except for the rare occasion when they don't make one for a phone I buy). Didn't even order the V10 until after I confirmed there was a Defender case available for it. May be overkill but the V10 is still a $600 phone.

Imagine how happy we'd be if Otterbox made Defender cases for DAPs like A&K, iBasso, Sony, or pretty much any player with a touchscreen.

Jan 20, 2016 at 11:31 PM Post #1,855 of 3,525
Another fan of otterbox cases here. I've had one for my last 3 phones. My only beef is how it makes the fingerprint reader on the v10 useless. The only fix seems to be to put a strip of metallic tape on it. Which peels in a week or so, since adhesives don't work well on rubber. 

I know there's an update to address this. But I'm on t-mobile :frowning2:

Jan 20, 2016 at 11:46 PM Post #1,857 of 3,525
  Another fan of otterbox cases here. I've had one for my last 3 phones. My only beef is how it makes the fingerprint reader on the v10 useless. The only fix seems to be to put a strip of metallic tape on it. Which peels in a week or so, since adhesives don't work well on rubber. 

I know there's an update to address this. But I'm on t-mobile :frowning2:

Yeah the V10 finger print sensor is buggy.... with or without the case for me.  When I first got the phone (without case for a couple days)  it worked OK some of the time.  Then I got the otterbox and it didn't work at all.  So I just turned it off for about a week and ignored it.  A week later I figure what the heck, and tried it out and it worked fine... 100% perfect.  Then it completely dies on me 3 days later.... I mean NOTHING at all from it.  I can't even re-program it.  Someone on the android central forum said I needed to re-set the phone (not reboot mind you... re-set).  So I did that and its been fine for a week now after the re-set.  Fortunately theres multiple ways to unlock the phone from a standby.  I guess if it ever permanently dies we have alternatives.

Jan 20, 2016 at 11:54 PM Post #1,858 of 3,525
What are the chances the upcoming LG G5 will have the same DAC as the V10?

.... According to a reliable 'phone review, there may be no more G5. The V10 is a first in a new series for LG... i.e. the start of the G series, G1, G2, G3, G4 last of the G series...

Jan 21, 2016 at 12:01 AM Post #1,859 of 3,525
  Don't get me wrong, the V10 was built to be durable. The dual-layer Gorilla Glass and rubber back are there for a reason. It even has an IP67 rating and the drop test showed superior results:

But I ALWAYS get an Otterbox (except for the rare occasion when they don't make one for a phone I buy). Didn't even order the V10 until after I confirmed there was a Defender case available for it. May be overkill but the V10 is still a $600 phone.

Imagine how happy we'd be if Otterbox made Defender cases for DAPs like A&K, iBasso, Sony, or pretty much any player with a touchscreen.

..... a $600- phone is a $600- phone and glass, whether double, triple or quadruple will eventually Break. Protecting investment was never overkill. If I did not (for now) fixed a very tough laminate on the touch screen since day 1 with my V10, this dual layer should've been a scratched dual layer... till now I'm still contemplating which case cover i'll use.....

Jan 21, 2016 at 12:28 AM Post #1,860 of 3,525
.... According to a reliable 'phone review, there may be no more G5. The V10 is a first in a new series for LG... i.e. the start of the G series, G1, G2, G3, G4 last of the G series...

Uhhhh....what? Where did you hear that?

The G5 is rumored to be unveiled at the MWC next month. There's been a lot of buzz about it lately.

http://www.techradar.com/au/news/phone-and-communications/mobile-phones/lg-g5-what-we-want-to-see-1299722

http://www.androidauthority.com/lg-g5-design-diagram-668118/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back