LG V10 : New ESS Chipped Flagship Android Phone from LG
Nov 17, 2015 at 6:55 AM Post #841 of 3,525
Rpg2
yes, i would understand that, if the quality will change, but not! There's no changes, zero! Maybe for a lower impedance headphones the ESS dac is on on stock and the toggle the button on/off do it nothing? Hmmm... for 100%, i know when i plug a much more Ohm headphones the change is POWERFULL, the volume is rise a lot and the quality also, so I know that the ESS works... any of You guy's maybe know's more than I?

Nov 17, 2015 at 7:21 AM Post #842 of 3,525
For lower impedance stuff im sure the dac and amp are still beijg used. When you switch the hifi toggle on and off do you hear a slight drop in volume for a half of a second or so? When the phone switches from one amp and dac to another youll hear a slight drop of the volume.

In terms of the ess amp, it is adaptive, so with low impedance stuff you really wont notice much of a change in volume. But again, if you hear the sound drop out for a half a second of so when you press the toggle, it is working. If you press the toggle in an app that doesnt work with the ess chips you wont experience the half a second or so of audio dropout. Thats how you can tell its working or not.

Nov 17, 2015 at 7:53 AM Post #843 of 3,525
In a low impedance headphones, like my XBA-H3 when I toggle the Hi-Fi on/off there is a pause in music - like U say, drop out in a half of second, but nothing else... no change in volume or quality! Realy, nothing! (i have a good hearing). But the situation is different when i plug the Sennheiser's headphones with 200(or 250?)Ohm, then the different is! The volume is mouch louder and quality is much better when the toggle is ON. So, the problem is why on XBA-H3 are no (0%) diffrence with Hi-Fi On or Off? This is very strange for me... one thing, I always use the stock player, not any others.

Nov 17, 2015 at 8:30 AM Post #845 of 3,525
I highly doubt that.

Nov 17, 2015 at 8:45 AM Post #846 of 3,525
  In a low impedance headphones, like my XBA-H3 when I toggle the Hi-Fi on/off there is a pause in music - like U say, drop out in a half of second, but nothing else... no change in volume or quality! Realy, nothing! (i have a good hearing). But the situation is different when i plug the Sennheiser's headphones with 200(or 250?)Ohm, then the different is! The volume is mouch louder and quality is much better when the toggle is ON. So, the problem is why on XBA-H3 are no (0%) diffrence with Hi-Fi On or Off? This is very strange for me... one thing, I always use the stock player, not any others.

So it's safe to assume that most of the improvement comes from the amp section, not the DAC. You're basically saying you can't hear any difference at all on headphones that don't need much amping. And that you have good ears.

Do you have another phone or a DAP to compare to?

Nov 17, 2015 at 8:55 AM Post #847 of 3,525
So it's safe to assume that most of the improvement comes from the amp section, not the DAC. You're basically saying you can't hear any difference at all on headphones that don't need much amping. And that you have good ears.

Do you have another phone or a DAP to compare to?

Hardly safe to say that improvement comes from amp instead of DAC. IME, source makes a bigger difference than amp as long as headphones are getting the power they need and noise floor of amp is low enough for headphones used. In this case, I'm also not sure we can tease apart the contributions of amp and DAC.

Nov 17, 2015 at 9:10 AM Post #848 of 3,525
Maybe the xba-h3 isnt resolving enough to tell the difference. I can tell the difference with my RE-Zero.

Nov 17, 2015 at 9:14 AM Post #849 of 3,525
Hardly safe to say that improvement comes from amp instead of DAC. IME, source makes a bigger difference than amp as long as headphones are getting the power they need and noise floor of amp is low enough for headphones used. In this case, I'm also not sure we can tease apart the contributions of amp and DAC.

Well, if we assume that Slaviola has critical listening skills, and that no technical error comes into play only with his IEMs plugged in (unlikely?), we must also assume that the v10s DAC is not making any difference. Right?

I can't find the error in my logic, please explain.

Nov 17, 2015 at 9:15 AM Post #850 of 3,525
Maybe the xba-h3 isnt resolving enough to tell the difference. I can tell the difference with my RE-Zero.

But they're mid-to-top-tier IEMs, they should be more than good enough? 
confused_face(1).gif

Nov 17, 2015 at 9:21 AM Post #852 of 3,525
But they're mid-to-top-tier IEMs, they should be more than good enough? :confused_face(1):

Could be the listener, could be the music, could be the files, could be a noisy envirenment making it hard to pick out any differences.

Nov 17, 2015 at 9:23 AM Post #853 of 3,525

Well, if we assume that Slaviola has critical listening skills, and that no technical error comes into play only with his IEMs plugged in (unlikely?), we must also assume that the v10s DAC is not making any difference. Right?

I can't find the error in my logic, please explain.

Honestly, I'm not sure what is going on there for Slaviola. But if the DAC made little difference, why add it as an option to the phone, instead of just adding the ESS amp? 

And in this implementation, as I understand it, the ESS DAC and amp are a package deal, so on this phone, we won't be able to hear the amp without the DAC and vice versa. 

Nov 17, 2015 at 9:54 AM Post #855 of 3,525
Guy's, i think u don't understand me :/
When the "HI-FI" toggle is off, then i press it and change to ON i hear the PAUSE (half of second), but after this, the volume and even quality don't change, but if i put the Sennheiser's (much more impedence) the situation is change dramaticaly - when i press ON of the HI-FI, again i hear the PAUSE, but after this now i can hear the diffrence very well - the volume increase much louder and quality also has improve! This is looking like when i plug the XBA-H3 the toggling ON/OFF HI-FI doesnt change enything (maybe the DAC is active, i only tell that is no changes in sound),but when I plug Sennheiser's headphones the change of toggling ON/OFF work's perfect!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back