LG V10 : New ESS Chipped Flagship Android Phone from LG
Nov 7, 2015 at 12:33 PM Post #571 of 3,525
I dont use a case or the fingerprint scanner, so I dont care.

I do know that this thing still impresses me for music listening with headphones.

Nov 7, 2015 at 4:35 PM Post #574 of 3,525
Incorrect, my assumption is based on no word on LG's website or V10 product page about an ESS dac/amp and then calling both T-Mobile and LG receiving both no answers. I've also ESS and ESS rep Diane called and am awaiting a return. Also no it is not on LGs website about having ESS but a 32bit high definition upsampling dac that could VERY easily be LGs own chip.

As for the variants that's a very likely outcome. The Korean version gets the ess sabre and the U.S. gets the 32 bit upsampling one.

All a company has to do to legally be able to say it offers something is offer it on a model somewhere. That's it, sales are also the same concept but different conversation entirely.

As said before I'd love to be proven wrong....

Going to assume you're not trolling...I get that you're worried that this may not be an ESS DAC and Amp, but really, just go listen to the thing in a T-Mobile store. Should be all the 'proof' you need!

ESS or not, I don't really care. All I know is it has a built-in headphone amp that gets loud enough and sounds goid enough that I dont have to take my FiiO stack out of the house with me to get good sound. That plus it's a pretty nice phone and the 2nd screen is very cool. It's a great upgrade from my Xperia Z3. I'm a total Sony fanboy and I really wanted to like the Z5, but from all accounts this V10 smokes it in audio quality. Heck, the V10 can drive my Sony MDR-Z7 headphones satisfactorily so it's got some power under the hood. My educated guess is ESS, lolz

This. I've owned Samsung Wolfson phones as well as HTC flagships...my T-Mobile V10 has better audio quality than any phone I've owned -- hands down. Don't care if it has a BSS chip...it's one slim device that easily fits in your pocket and is an excellent DAP and phone.

Works well with LG Music Player (FLAC) and USB Audio Player PRO.

Nov 7, 2015 at 5:22 PM Post #575 of 3,525
Yup, the LG music player and Tidal. Thats all I need. Best portable music player or phone I've heard yet, even beats the HTC M9.

Nov 7, 2015 at 5:53 PM Post #576 of 3,525
  The way lg has placed the buttons, its real convenient to use the finger scanner.  Had a g3 before and i'm glad im going back to a lg again.

First phone that i'm not going to use a case most of the time.

Just gonna get insurance and say **** it.

Ha, I did the same thing. With the rubber back, the phone just feels too nice in the hand to stick a case on it, thereby making the unlock more difficult. Also, the thing is already huge to me. Insurance it is for me too! :)

The DAC discussion is starting to remind me of the iPod 6th gen discussion where they were talking about what color sounds the best. I'll add my vote that I highly doubt they somehow removed it out of the US versions. I just took a five hour flight today and was literally smiling the entire way with my whole Tidal library downloaded to a 128gb SD card and my DN-2000Js in my ear. I have not heard audio like this on any mobile device, period. iPhone 6S+ that I just bought is going up for sale. Well-done, LG, well-done. 

By the way, go figure that a day after I bought it, T-Mobile decides it should be $100 cheaper. It is now $499 from T-Mobile! That is insane. I paid close to that for a terrible Nexus 5X with tax and shipping. Hope more people jump on this deal from T-Mobile. 

For anyone interested: http://www.t-mobile.com/offer/super-smartphone-deals.html?clickid=wTt0NFSKcT3h239UDhUKd0DPUkXQXxSp2XgT1Y0&iradid=189313&cmpid=WTR_AF_189313&irpid=10078&irgwc=1

-Collin-

Nov 7, 2015 at 6:13 PM Post #577 of 3,525

Anyone tried the Fostex mk3 with this phone yet? Curious to know if the amp (with hifi enabled) is powerful enough to run some hungry planars.

Also, how do you guys feel about the size of the phone (phablet really)? Said I'd never buy a phone bigger than my already large Note 3 but sound quality is king.

Nov 7, 2015 at 6:16 PM Post #578 of 3,525

Anyone tried the Fostex mk3 with this phone yet? Curious to know if the amp (with hifi enabled) is powerful enough to run some hungry planars.

Also, how do you guys feel about the size of the phone (phablet really)? Said I'd never buy a phone bigger than my already large Note 3 but sound quality is king.

I can only comment on the size, and it's pretty dang large. I had the Note 4, Note 5 and iPhone 6S Plus and it feels the largest of them all. That said, it feels smaller than the Nexus 6 (because it is), but overall it feels good in the hand. It's just large, but ergonomically I have no complaints. 

The form factor isn't my favorite, but it's awfully easy to forget once you plug some headphones into it :)

-Collin-

Nov 7, 2015 at 8:08 PM Post #580 of 3,525
looks like t-mobile is killing it right now with their plans and phone prices.  Wish I can jump ship....I need the verizon coverage.

yeah with all the DAC talk, I was over it awhile ago.  People get the panties all bunched up for no reason.  if it does have it.. good.. if it doesn't.. o'well.  From everyones impressions, the phones sounds real good.  Plus I'm not getting this phone specifically for that.  It was just a bonus.

Yes the Dac does work with tidal.  With other apps, you have to kind of manipulate it in order for it to work.

Nov 7, 2015 at 10:26 PM Post #582 of 3,525
Picked mine up today, it's almost great, really need it rooted to get Titanium backup on it so I can restore all my data.

As far as sound goes, it's on par with my iBasso D-Zero Mk2, bass is a bit more controlled i think on the V10. (or not as rumbley)
Either way I'm happy with the sound, no more need to cart around my headphone DAC's anymore. Will be selling my FiiO Q1 now at least.

It normally takes me a week to get a new phone to the point where I'm happy with it, but considering this is so new and all the things
I want to do require root and roms etc.. will be a p.i.t.a. for months.

Nov 8, 2015 at 9:57 AM Post #584 of 3,525
Nice pairings that I have:

IEMS - IE80, Ostrys...both very nice
- a surprise...really liking the XBA-H1s (haven't really been in the rotation for months)

HPs - M80, Amperiors...both very nice
- a surprise...really liking the HPH-200s and WS55s (neither have been in the rotation for months)
- another surprise, thought they'd be nice with the K518LEs...meh

Nov 8, 2015 at 10:46 AM Post #585 of 3,525
How does the audio quality compare with expensive DAPs out there?

I think it's mentioned in this thread that it's at least on par with DX50, so that's pretty good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back