LG V10 : New ESS Chipped Flagship Android Phone from LG
Oct 10, 2015 at 5:09 AM Post #121 of 3,525
Any chance you tried the phone with hi-end lower impedance IEMs like the shure se846??
Another quick question, how the sq compare to other top of the line andriod flagship phones like htc m9/m9+ or z5??

I didn't really have the chance to use high-end IEMs per-say. I'm more of a headphone guy. I did use a pair of old Sleek Audio CT7 CIEM and they sounded great. Dead black. No hissing. Gain is a little touchy (like each click of the volume buttons is a little too much for me. I want smaller increments). 

Better than M9. Haven't used Z5.

First of all can you please tell me where do you buy it and how much did you pay?
Do you try any iems with it? Is it hissing with sensitive iems? How was the sound? Any EMI or noise from the main board? Is it possible get a lineout from the device? Any gain settings? Do you have a chance to try it with a DT150, Fidelio X2 and K7XX or other K/Q7... series?

I'm a pretty popular tech reviewer, so LG sent it for review purposes ahead of launch. I'm apparently one of 30 that has the phone ahead of launch. Feeling special to be one of them! :D The device will be released in Korea later this month and while they won't give me a firm date, I'm betting it will make it to the US and other major countries in November. Unfortunately, they haven't disclosed price, but I'm betting that it will be $600-750 unlocked. Flagship pricing. Luckily, the only model sold is 64GB with optional SD expansion.

The CIEMs I was using weren't super sensitive, but man, is this black! So quiet. No EMI noise when on battery but when the device is plugged in via QuickCharge, there is some buzz. Haven't tried it with any of the cans you've mentioned. Don't own them. Sorry! Unfortunately, there is no line out at this time. I don't think it's a hardware limitation—LG just hasn't implemented it. Got an OTA update yesterday which fixed a lot of bugs and I have been told they'll be coming 2x a week. Software is very beta still. I could send in a request to my rep there so she can forward it to the engineering team (idk, maybe they could fulfill a few of our wishes!)

I hope you can include a mini section about ESS dac/amp and sound quality from the headphone jack in your full review. It's so annoying to see most reviewers (aside from phonearena and gsmarena) only take into account SQ from speakers and ignore the SQ from the headphone jack.

I'll surely make it my my objective to have the information in the full video review. I actually kinda spaced including it since I was trying to cover everything I could without making an "OMG this is way too long" initial impressions video. My reviews are always a little longer. :D

Oct 10, 2015 at 5:23 AM Post #123 of 3,525
Oh man, this pretty much seals the deal for me, no more Pioneer and Onkyo. Shame, if only Onkyo gives a certain time frame I would probably think twice but well, LG is getting my money.

by the way, is there any kind of comparison between LG's 9018c2m and the other 9018k2m which is inside Pioneer's new DAP? Is the potential difference going to be significant?

Oct 10, 2015 at 5:26 AM Post #124 of 3,525
LG wins! The first audiophile phone which eliminates the need of carry extra dap and amp for commonly used headphones. If it gets there to the level of Fiio X5, it is just good !

Just because, smooth android UI, removable battery and micro SD slot !!! Definitely replacing note 4 :D

There are a few unlocked on eBay for 870-1000$....but seeing how LG phones all depreciate like a rolling coaster......I am waiting until it is available in the U.S. At a lower price. Unlocked Note 5 goes for 670$ as the lowest....so there is no reason for unlocked LG V10 to be higher than that. Just a pure fact that in Korea, this phone is cheaper than Note 5. On top of that, while waiting, we all may hear something from G5 :wink:. Or Sony Z5 Ultra ? Who knows....may be Sony decides to get serious....because the year 2016 is their last chance as a mobile division....make it, or break it.

Oct 10, 2015 at 5:55 AM Post #125 of 3,525
This is it. I'm sold already.

Hope it comes to our shore soon. :)

Oct 10, 2015 at 6:38 AM Post #126 of 3,525
LG wins! The first audiophile phone which eliminates the need of carry extra dap and amp for commonly used headphones. If it gets there to the level of Fiio X5, it is just good !

Just because, smooth android UI, removable battery and micro SD slot !!! Definitely replacing note 4 :D

There are a few unlocked on eBay for 870-1000$....but seeing how LG phones all depreciate like a rolling coaster......I am waiting until it is available in the U.S. At a lower price. Unlocked Note 5 goes for 670$ as the lowest....so there is no reason for unlocked LG V10 to be higher than that. Just a pure fact that in Korea, this phone is cheaper than Note 5. On top of that, while waiting, we all may hear something from G5 :wink:. Or Sony Z5 Ultra ? Who knows....may be Sony decides to get serious....because the year 2016 is their last chance as a mobile division....make it, or break it.

First audiophile phone are you serious? I guess you haven't heard Meizu Mx4 pro which was the first audiophile phone in the market. It shares the same dac used in Dx90 and with high gain switch. I have a Meizu M1 Note and I can easily claim it trumps Ap100. Can't even imagine how much better Meizu Pro 5 will sound.

Oct 10, 2015 at 6:59 AM Post #127 of 3,525
First audiophile phone are you serious? I guess you haven't heard Meizu Mx4 pro which was the first audiophile phone in the market. It shares the same dac used in Dx90 and with high gain switch. I have a Meizu M1 Note and I can easily claim it trumps Ap100. Can't even imagine how much better Meizu Pro 5 will sound.

Well, I meant the first Audiophile phone to get into the USA.....and that it works on US LTE....the first one !

Oct 10, 2015 at 9:40 AM Post #128 of 3,525
Well, I meant the first Audiophile phone to get into the USA.....and that it works on US LTE....the first one !

For me, it's quite major because Chinese phones have the stigma of having crap after service and it has happened to me and people I know several times. LG on the other hand is a very well known brand with strong base and very good after service here, so that's that.

Oct 10, 2015 at 9:46 AM Post #129 of 3,525
For me, it's quite major because Chinese phones have the stigma of having crap after service and it has happened to me and people I know several times. LG on the other hand is a very well known brand with strong base and very good after service here, so that's that.

Exactly, it is so clear as day light, the reason why those Chinese phones can not get into the U.S...google patents...no google store ? U.S. Strict customer services for after sale. Unless someone want to risk it, and buy online, but then...no google store.

On top of that, android has several major security flaws, and if anyone is going to fix these first, it would be the bigger company such as LG, Samsung, Sony....etc....otherwise, they would always have to pay for reimbursement by the U.S. Strict laws.

So, in the end, LG V10 is the best for the U.S. Market right now ! If somebody care about audio quality. Live streaming anything from 720p and higher will have huh-res audio....it sucks when you can't benefit from it

Oct 10, 2015 at 9:50 AM Post #130 of 3,525

I didn't really have the chance to use high-end IEMs per-say. I'm more of a headphone guy. I did use a pair of old Sleek Audio CT7 CIEM and they sounded great. Dead black. No hissing. Gain is a little touchy (like each click of the volume buttons is a little too much for me. I want smaller increments). 

Better than M9. Haven't used Z5.

I'm a pretty popular tech reviewer, so LG sent it for review purposes ahead of launch. I'm apparently one of 30 that has the phone ahead of launch. Feeling special to be one of them! :D The device will be released in Korea later this month and while they won't give me a firm date, I'm betting it will make it to the US and other major countries in November. Unfortunately, they haven't disclosed price, but I'm betting that it will be $600-750 unlocked. Flagship pricing. Luckily, the only model sold is 64GB with optional SD expansion.

The CIEMs I was using weren't super sensitive, but man, is this black! So quiet. No EMI noise when on battery but when the device is plugged in via QuickCharge, there is some buzz. Haven't tried it with any of the cans you've mentioned. Don't own them. Sorry! Unfortunately, there is no line out at this time. I don't think it's a hardware limitation—LG just hasn't implemented it. Got an OTA update yesterday which fixed a lot of bugs and I have been told they'll be coming 2x a week. Software is very beta still. I could send in a request to my rep there so she can forward it to the engineering team (idk, maybe they could fulfill a few of our wishes!)

I'll surely make it my my objective to have the information in the full video review. I actually kinda spaced including it since I was trying to cover everything I could without making an "OMG this is way too long" initial impressions video. My reviews are always a little longer. :D

All great news.
beerchug.gif
 Any measurements or output impedance info? Sounds right regarding making mid priced DAPs superfluous for most users. It only has to beat an Iphone on standard def to be a real winner in the market. Great that they were careful about noise getting into the audio. Likely some compromises involved to get that done but obviously not enough to make it less than VG and great for a phone.
smile.gif

Oct 10, 2015 at 11:46 AM Post #131 of 3,525
Why does it default to the SoC DAC? I'm betting battery. Since I started writing this on my laptop 17 minutes ago (phone screen has been off), TIDAL (and the DAC/amp) have consumed 7% of battery. It's pretty brutal. Obviously, the more power hungry the headphone, the more adverse the drainage. Good thing for Qualcomm QuickCharge and removable batteries!

Yeah, I think that's helpful for audio-book users to conserve battery. I wish there will be a small widget that we could throw onto the top screen. I'm so excited!! I just hope the sq of the v10 won't disappoint!!

Also, it seems that the H.O. Would have ample power to drive many full-size cans but I wish the sweet spot would land on iems with relatively low impedance coz we are talking about a portable rig after all.

Oct 10, 2015 at 12:37 PM Post #132 of 3,525
So I emailed LG UK to ask if it was being released, and gave some qq about the EU customers being left out on such a cool product. I am to lazy to host screen shot of the email but here was the reply.

Good Afternoon xxxxx.

Thank you for your email. Hope you are having a lovely day. I have had a look into this for you and I am not entirely sure where you got this from. We are expecting to release this fully in the UK. However, as this has not actually been announced within the UK as of yet.

As we in the UK always try to release the newer models as soon as possible and looking at the specifications this looks like it will be a great phone.

The best thing you can do is to keep an eye on our website and when this is announced and we have more information we will post a link on our website to advertise this.

So we EU types might get lucky after all, or it maybe just some customer service rep saying nice soothing things to get me to leave them alone :)

Oct 11, 2015 at 11:04 AM Post #133 of 3,525
So I emailed LG UK to ask if it was being released, and gave some qq about the EU customers being left out on such a cool product. I am to lazy to host screen shot of the email but here was the reply.
So we EU types might get lucky after all, or it maybe just some customer service rep saying nice soothing things to get me to leave them alone
smily_headphones1.gif

As the UK does not obey to all the EU laws(the current for example) it may be exclusive to the UK as it may do not have these loudness limits as they do not adapt to all EU laws....(just a thought, I would be glad if someone proved me wrong...)

Oct 11, 2015 at 11:58 AM Post #135 of 3,525
  I don't think they don't sell in Europe cause of the sound limitation. It could be simply be added by little built in app as a toggle switch in the settings as there used to be on old ipods

There are 2 volume limits in EU iPhones and iPods. First one can can be turned off in the settings and 2nd one cannot. Even if you turn off the 1st limit in the settings, it will still be much lower volume compared to a non-EU device. The maximum volume is set to 80% of the amp's potential in EU iPhones and iPods. You have to use a file manager or jailbreak the device in order to have full volume.

No device that comes with headphones can bypass the EU volume limit with a simple app. EU regulations are very strict and the company would be fined a huge amount of money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back