LG V10 : New ESS Chipped Flagship Android Phone from LG
Nov 5, 2015 at 10:32 AM Post #526 of 3,525
  You should've asked what the hi-fi toggle in the UI does. lol

I'm very skeptical that rep knows what they are talking about.

It's true that SO OFTEN people that answer us in technical support don't know much........and it's hard to be in touch with the engineers so in fact will have to wait the teardown...

I remember once asking on the Apple forum if there was Intel Quick Sync support on FinalCutPro X and they couldn't answer. They said no.......but looking at the test of Mac with intel HD GPU and those without there was such a gap in performance indicating it was definitely be using Intel Quick Sync............so yeah even from my experience you can't trust people on chat etc...about too technical details..............

Ps : intel quick sync is just a technology developped by intel for the intel i cpu that come with intel HD GPU which permit gpu hardware acceleration to encode and decode video in ultra fast way...

Nov 5, 2015 at 10:42 AM Post #527 of 3,525
  It's true that SO OFTEN people that answer us in technical support don't know much........and it's hard to be in touch with the engineers so in fact will have to wait the teardown...

I remember once asking on the Apple forum if there was Intel Quick Sync support on FinalCutPro X and they couldn't answer. They said no.......but looking at the test of Mac with intel HD GPU and those without there was such a gap in performance indicating it was definitely be using Intel Quick Sync............so yeah even from my experience you can't trust people on chat etc...about too technical details..............

Ps : intel quick sync is just a technology developped by intel for the intel i cpu that come with intel HD GPU which permit gpu hardware acceleration to encode and decode video in ultra fast way...

Yeah. Even if the rep was right and the phone in fact did not contain the ess dac, the rep should be able to give details. 

Nov 5, 2015 at 10:53 AM Post #528 of 3,525
The reps being unable to provide specific technical details like your above question about it working with a program sure I doubt very seriously they'll be able to answer but rather or not it having the Sabre or not is a pretty straight forward question. And they're not redoing the motherboard or anything like that but using their own 32bit chip where the Sabre would have gone. Nothing super difficult at all especially if they only designed a sabre for the korean versions and the us versions never had it to begin with

Nov 5, 2015 at 11:03 AM Post #530 of 3,525
  CS reps only know what is in their script. I doubt the guy even knows what a DAC is.

Exactly.  I doubt they are allowed to say "I don't know."  So instead of wasting his time he just said "no" because he has no idea what you're talking about so that he could move to the next person.  And I doubt he went to that link. Probably not allowed to clink on links or download files.

Nov 5, 2015 at 11:15 AM Post #531 of 3,525
The reps being unable to provide specific technical details like your above question about it working with a program sure I doubt very seriously they'll be able to answer but rather or not it having the Sabre or not is a pretty straight forward question. And they're not redoing the motherboard or anything like that but using their own 32bit chip where the Sabre would have gone. Nothing super difficult at all especially if they only designed a sabre for the korean versions and the us versions never had it to begin with

This could very well be true. Could explain the differences between what Whitigir heard when toggling the hifi button. He couldn't get it to work on certain apps, then the us variant seem to work with more apps.

Nov 5, 2015 at 11:16 AM Post #532 of 3,525
Was finally able to get the demo from my local t-mobile store out to my car to listen to it on my stereo as well as on the headphones I brought into the store and I have to say it's as good as my iBasso d-zero mark 2.
In fact it may even have better low end control.

Nov 5, 2015 at 12:35 PM Post #534 of 3,525
  I tried calling ESS but I haven't been able to get a hold of anyone besides the operator. 

(408) 643-8800

Yup did that whole thing as well and left a call back number (still nothing) as well as calling the woman whos contact info is at the bottom with the same result

Nov 5, 2015 at 12:48 PM Post #535 of 3,525
Its in there. The reps just dont know anything, and LG isnt hyping it like they should.

Nov 5, 2015 at 12:59 PM Post #536 of 3,525
So some random guy goes hey guys this doesn't have a Sabre DAC out of no where and he is getting everyone riled up? That is his goal. You all saw the press release it is impossible for the phone to be re-engineered that quickly. Army-Firedog can you please stop trolling and give us actual proof instead of dumb cs agents that think a dac has nothing to do with music. You literally just said that theres no ess dac and here and say so because two cs agents have 0 clue about it. Go away get some real proof and then come back and stop trying to troll everyone in here. Thanks bud.

Nov 5, 2015 at 1:11 PM Post #537 of 3,525
  So some random guy goes hey guys this doesn't have a Sabre DAC out of no where and he is getting everyone riled up? That is his goal. You all saw the press release it is impossible for the phone to be re-engineered that quickly. Army-Firedog can you please stop trolling and give us actual proof instead of dumb cs agents that think a dac has nothing to do with music. You literally just said that theres no ess dac and here and say so because two cs agents have 0 clue about it. Go away get some real proof and then come back and stop trying to troll everyone in here. Thanks bud.

Firstly my friend I'm not trolling at all for I've been keeping up with this phone wanting to upgrade myself but find it funny for a company with such a prestigious amp./dac to not advertise it at all so I looked into it more than I guess any of you did and have received nothing but zero proof that it does. You told me to provide proof that it doesn't and I literally have, from 2 phone calls and I even had it written out for you. On the contrary can you provide proof that it DOES have the ESS? 

Secondly, It's very understandable you getting defensive seeing as you must've purchased the phone yourself and don't want to learn you didn't get what you thought which is why IVE been looking so deep into it for I'm stuck with a phone for 2 years I want to make sure I get what I want. 

If noone would take time to look into things and just went with what others said there'd be no advancement, I'm quite surprised this site of all places is off put by learning that the marketing they've seen isn't quite as true as they'd hoped. I honestly wish the V10 had the ESS and would love to be proven wrong for now I'm back on the search for a new phone. 

I work in retail and people blow me off all the time thinking I don't know what I'm talking about in audio because I'm "only a sales rep" perhaps they do know? But as someone previously said until there's a breakdown video (I believe they called it) that proves it the only proof (for or against) is what I've been told and written.

Nov 5, 2015 at 1:11 PM Post #538 of 3,525
popcorn.gif

even if it doesn't have the chip.  It's still a badass phone thats sounds great and if they would have added a stylus, it would have been game over.  Samsung.... Apple.... catch up

Nov 5, 2015 at 1:16 PM Post #539 of 3,525
That's probably the case for I haven't heard any complaints on the sound but I never got into the stylus feature. And I couldn't care less about selfy cams or dual screens the audio is what I'm primarily into which is what irritates me about this thing. Also it has to be carried by T mobile so I can afford it :p

Nov 5, 2015 at 1:29 PM Post #540 of 3,525

Firstly my friend I'm not trolling at all for I've been keeping up with this phone wanting to upgrade myself but find it funny for a company with such a prestigious amp./dac to not advertise it at all so I looked into it more than I guess any of you did and have received nothing but zero proof that it does. You told me to provide proof that it doesn't and I literally have, from 2 phone calls and I even had it written out for you. On the contrary can you provide proof that it DOES have the ESS? 

Secondly, It's very understandable you getting defensive seeing as you must've purchased the phone yourself and don't want to learn you didn't get what you thought which is why IVE been looking so deep into it for I'm stuck with a phone for 2 years I want to make sure I get what I want. 

If noone would take time to look into things and just went with what others said there'd be no advancement, I'm quite surprised this site of all places is off put by learning that the marketing they've seen isn't quite as true as they'd hoped. I honestly wish the V10 had the ESS and would love to be proven wrong for now I'm back on the search for a new phone. 

I work in retail and people blow me off all the time thinking I don't know what I'm talking about in audio because I'm "only a sales rep" perhaps they do know? But as someone previously said until there's a breakdown video (I believe they called it) that proves it the only proof (for or against) is what I've been told and written.

LG's own website says it has it. LG's marketing material says it has it. 

I'd trust that over what some CS rep in india says to you when he can't find the words ESS sabre in his support script.

Even ESS facebook page is linking to LG V10 reviews!

You have zero proof of anything. It would be impossible for LG to reengineer the phone in under a month to use a different DAC/amp setup. It would take months to change it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back