LG V10 : New ESS Chipped Flagship Android Phone from LG
Nov 5, 2015 at 9:49 AM Post #512 of 3,525
  An add and an official product are two very different things. The original product was supposed to have it but either the contract fell through or something else happened

I doubt they would leave "sabre hifi" up on the product page a month after release if it didn't have it but we will have to wait for someone to do a teardown to know the truth I guess. 

http://www.lgmobile.co.kr/lgmobile/front/main/mainList.dev?mdlName=LG-F600S#cur

Nov 5, 2015 at 9:54 AM Post #513 of 3,525
Ok so one plus so the Korean version might have it but 2 reps from LG and 1 from T mobile that say there's no mention of it in their site and if they'd return a call an ESS rep to chime in. As for the can of worms I'm just ticket cause I put off getting another phone for this one and feel other did and/or are doing the same and should know.

Nov 5, 2015 at 9:55 AM Post #514 of 3,525
Nov 5, 2015 at 10:01 AM Post #516 of 3,525
Could be the case. We'll have to wait for a teardown of US V10 to be sure, I wouldn't trust anything a customer service rep says one way or the other. 

True enough, I never take customer service rep to know any things about techs related though. I doubt the us version is different than the Korean version. There were 2 members that bought it from tmobile and reported similar findings as what I found from the Korean version I used to had.

Nov 5, 2015 at 10:06 AM Post #519 of 3,525
OK, so had a live chat with another LG rep. But first the website saying it has a dac that is "32 bit HiFi Digital Audio" is completely irrelevant unless it's specifically branded, else wise it's to be considered LG's own DAC. But here's my conversation with the rep

Eunice: Hello Jonathan West. Welcome to LG Electronics U.S.A. Support only. How may I provide you with excellent service today?
Jonathan West: Hello, I have a simple question. Does the LG V10 contain the ESS Sabre dac and headphone amp.? There's no indication of it anywhere on either yours or T mobiles website but there was mention of itEunice: No, Jonathan, the device does not have those.Jonathan West: OK, can you tell me why they don't and what happened http://www.esstech.com/files/2314/4372/5609/Clean_LG_Press_Release_0-01-2015.pdfJonathan West: I meant to space but I was excited about that aspect when it was announced on the press release but since it's not I would like some information as to what happened from then to nowEunice: I do apologize but we do not have the information as to why it does not have those, Jonathan.Jonathan West: Fair enough, does the Korean version still posess the amp & dac? It's website does still list something of it.Eunice: That we could not tell for we only support LG for US market, Jonathan.Jonathan West: Understood, and finally can you agree that the above answers are true and officialEunice: Yes!Jonathan West: Alrighty, thank you very kindly for your help. Have a blessed rest of your day.

Nov 5, 2015 at 10:09 AM Post #521 of 3,525
OK, so had a live chat with another LG rep. But first the website saying it has a dac that is "32 bit HiFi Digital Audio" is completely irrelevant unless it's specifically branded, else wise it's to be considered LG's own DAC. But here's my conversation with the rep

[COLOR=3300FF]Eunice:[/COLOR] Hello Jonathan West. Welcome to LG Electronics U.S.A. Support only. How may I provide you with excellent service today?

[COLOR=CC0000]Jonathan West:[/COLOR] Hello, I have a simple question. Does the LG V10 contain the ESS Sabre dac and headphone amp.? There's no indication of it anywhere on either yours or T mobiles website but there was mention of it
[COLOR=3300FF]Eunice:[/COLOR] No, Jonathan, the device does not have those.
[COLOR=CC0000]Jonathan West:[/COLOR] OK, can you tell me why they don't and what happened http://www.esstech.com/files/2314/4372/5609/Clean_LG_Press_Release_0-01-2015.pdf
[COLOR=CC0000]Jonathan West:[/COLOR] I meant to space but I was excited about that aspect when it was announced on the press release but since it's not I would like some information as to what happened from then to now
[COLOR=3300FF]Eunice:[/COLOR] I do apologize but we do not have the information as to why it does not have those, Jonathan.
[COLOR=CC0000]Jonathan West:[/COLOR] Fair enough, does the Korean version still posess the amp & dac? It's website does still list something of it.
[COLOR=3300FF]Eunice:[/COLOR] That we could not tell for we only support LG for US market, Jonathan.
[COLOR=CC0000]Jonathan West:[/COLOR] Understood, and finally can you agree that the above answers are true and official
[COLOR=3300FF]Eunice:[/COLOR] Yes!
[COLOR=CC0000]Jonathan West:[/COLOR] Alrighty, thank you very kindly for your help. Have a blessed rest of your day.

Well, let's wait for the Tear down ? This will make sure of it. I am curious, if not ESS Sabres then what DAC for 32 bits ? Certainly not snap dragon, and especially the amplifier chips

Nov 5, 2015 at 10:20 AM Post #522 of 3,525

Eunice: Hello Jonathan West. Welcome to LG Electronics U.S.A. Support only. How may I provide you with excellent service today?
Jonathan West: Hello, I have a simple question. Does the LG V10 contain the ESS Sabre dac and headphone amp.? There's no indication of it anywhere on either yours or T mobiles website but there was mention of itEunice: No, Jonathan, the device does not have those.Jonathan West: OK, can you tell me why they don't and what happened http://www.esstech.com/files/2314/4372/5609/Clean_LG_Press_Release_0-01-2015.pdfJonathan West: I meant to space but I was excited about that aspect when it was announced on the press release but since it's not I would like some information as to what happened from then to nowEunice: I do apologize but we do not have the information as to why it does not have those, Jonathan.Jonathan West: Fair enough, does the Korean version still posess the amp & dac? It's website does still list something of it.Eunice: That we could not tell for we only support LG for US market, Jonathan.Jonathan West: Understood, and finally can you agree that the above answers are true and officialEunice: Yes!Jonathan West: Alrighty, thank you very kindly for your help. Have a blessed rest of your day.

You should've asked what the hi-fi toggle in the UI does. lol

I'm very skeptical that rep knows what they are talking about.

Nov 5, 2015 at 10:27 AM Post #523 of 3,525
Despite all of the "can of worms" unleashed by the potential of the v10 not having and ESS chip, I personally do not care a whole lot.  Here is what I know, this phone sounds amazing sound quality whether it is using an ESS DAC or LG or whatever.  The results speak for themselves!

Nov 5, 2015 at 10:29 AM Post #524 of 3,525
The phone itself has the hifi toggle, which on one screen says 32bit. I'd never trust a rep.

Monday, bought a v10 off contract, paid in full. Tmobile store guy told me one thing to get the Sim unlocked, 4 phone calls to tmobile customer care, all different answers to same question.

Nov 5, 2015 at 10:31 AM Post #525 of 3,525
The ESS press release is from October 1st...

It would be completely impossible for LG to re-engineer the motherboard to use a different DAC/amp, change the production line, recode the firmware to support it, and still release the phone in under a month.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back