LG-V10 Hi-Fi audio quality review on serious audio performance
Apr 8, 2016 at 7:31 PM Post #661 of 1,179
Hey guys.

I'm reading around, and have read that there's 3 gain settings on the V10? I can get my phone into aux mode no problem, with my 16ohm IEMs. Is there a way for me to trick it into high gain mode, by doing more than disconnecting my left bud, plugging into the phone, then reconnecting my left bud?

Apr 8, 2016 at 7:37 PM Post #662 of 1,179
Well, right out of the box, even with equalizer, it sounds poor compared to the ASUS Strix Raid DLX with the ESS SABRE 906 DAC, which is more or less in the same category. DAC enabled, of course. Will burn it in for some 50 hours, let's see how does sound changes... Have seen great changes especially with Plenue D and Plenue 1 more recently, so still got some faith.

Just out of curiosity the ASUS Strix DLX fares well against Plenue 1, thats why I had high hopes for V10. It's no P1 in terms of resolution and finesse, but it's not too distant. I hope to see V10 there. Have to look for a better EQ too.

Apr 9, 2016 at 12:29 AM Post #663 of 1,179
Hey guys.

I'm reading around, and have read that there's 3 gain settings on the V10? I can get my phone into aux mode no problem, with my 16ohm IEMs. Is there a way for me to trick it into high gain mode, by doing more than disconnecting my left bud, plugging into the phone, then reconnecting my left bud?

Not trying to hate on your post but why on earth do you want your phone on high gain mode with 16ohm IEMs?

Apr 9, 2016 at 1:26 AM Post #664 of 1,179
Not trying to hate on your post but why on earth do you want your phone on high gain mode with 16ohm IEMs?

Until someone proves otherwise, I'm convinced the V10's amp chip only activates in aux or high gain modes. No matter the headphones or iems being used, its not always the extra power but the additional damping factor that makes a huge difference in how dynamic everything sounds.

Apr 9, 2016 at 9:08 AM Post #667 of 1,179
Trick it into aux mode
biggrin.gif
= high gains

It's more like mid gain. Output still isn't as strong as "high impedance" mode, but it's respectable 

Apr 9, 2016 at 9:14 AM Post #668 of 1,179

Fair question. I'm going to say it comes down to dynamics. In “normal” mode, the phone sounds a bit flat, and as a basshead, flat won't do. So I go to “aux” mode, and the dynamics improve drastically. I just wanted to try “high gain” and see if there's a perceived difference between it and aux.

Apr 9, 2016 at 12:46 PM Post #674 of 1,179
It's a new player. Much better dynamics. Perfect. At this stage (burn-in, high-gain) I would say it's competing with Cowon Plenue D easily. Maybe a bit superior. Still burning-in as it does not even have 24hrs.

Apr 9, 2016 at 12:56 PM Post #675 of 1,179
It's a new player. Much better dynamics. Perfect. At this stage (burn-in, high-gain) I would say it's competing with Cowon Plenue D easily. Maybe a bit superior. Still burning-in as it does not even have 24hrs.

That is why I always call it to be a competition in mid-tier DAP :D. The G5 with the hifi module is like $650+$230. I think it is safe to stick with V10, if you want audio quality :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back