LG-V10 Hi-Fi audio quality review on serious audio performance
Mar 31, 2016 at 5:14 PM Post #631 of 1,179
Hello,

Can anyone recommend some good-but-not-ridicoulusly-expensive on ear (or over ear) headphones for V10? Recently, I tried many various models in local store, but nothing fancy. I overall found that Sony MDR-1R (best bass and dynamics) and Philips Fidelio X2 (best balance and vocals) suits me best. The problem is, I've never had the opportunity to try Sennheiser Momentums (and Urbanites), any Beyerdynamic, akg Q701, any Bose, and so on with my new favorite phone.
Can You recommend me some good cans, that will sound good with V10 and I could use on the street (MDR-1R size is OK, Fidelios are too big) for reasonable price?
I listen almost every kind of music: from Andrea Boccelli and Chris Botti to Alter Bridge, Moby and Daft Punk. I like warm sound with good low-end bass (though, I'm not a basshead).
Thank You in advance. I appreciate every suggestion.

Mar 31, 2016 at 5:39 PM Post #632 of 1,179
Hello,

Can anyone recommend some good-but-not-ridicoulusly-expensive on ear (or over ear) headphones for V10? Recently, I tried many various models in local store, but nothing fancy. I overall found that Sony MDR-1R (best bass and dynamics) and Philips Fidelio X2 (best balance and vocals) suits me best. The problem is, I've never had the opportunity to try Sennheiser Momentums (and Urbanites), any Beyerdynamic, akg Q701, any Bose, and so on with my new favorite phone.
Can You recommend me some good cans, that will sound good with V10 and I could use on the street (MDR-1R size is OK, Fidelios are too big) for reasonable price?
I listen almost every kind of music: from Andrea Boccelli and Chris Botti to Alter Bridge, Moby and Daft Punk. I like warm sound with good low-end bass (though, I'm not a basshead).

For cheap, I would recommend Koss Portapros, for 150 or so, Sennheiser HD598's

Mar 31, 2016 at 6:23 PM Post #637 of 1,179
Actually, my favourite in-ears are Sennheiser's CX-400 (which I'm listening to in this particular moment), and most of my life spent with CX300's (like, last 15 years).
I just felt, like the 598's with V10 are too thin in medium frequencies.

Hmm, that's weird. I'm all about the midrange. I use HD650's in my main rig. Wonder if the 598's you listened to were beat or something. Maybe a little rolled off in the highs, a slightly warm tune, but the mids are definitely not recessed on mine...

Mar 31, 2016 at 6:29 PM Post #638 of 1,179
Hmm, that's weird. I'm all about the midrange. I use HD650's in my main rig. Wonder if the 598's you listened to were beat or something. Maybe a little rolled off in the highs, a slightly warm tune, but the mids are definitely not recessed on mine...

Hmm.. maybe they were a bit old and beat'up by life (channel crosstalk was off balance for sure). Maybe I'll give them another chance then.

Apr 2, 2016 at 8:15 AM Post #639 of 1,179
Hello,

For cheap, I would recommend Koss Portapros, for 150 or so, Sennheiser HD598's
Oppo PM-3 may be at the top end of your price range but they sound great with the v10.

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

Apr 2, 2016 at 12:59 PM Post #640 of 1,179
Tried the 598's today, and it didn't sound natural with V10 for me. I can spend 250-300 bucks if I have to, and Porta Pro always seemed ugly for me
smily_headphones1.gif

I have the HD598s and agree that the sound isn't very special on the V10.  I also have the Meze 99 Classics and they match incredibly well with the V10.  You should be able to find a 10% discount code and get them for $279 if that falls within your price range. 

Apr 6, 2016 at 4:17 PM Post #641 of 1,179
How is this phone's DAC better than a portable headphone DAC or a DAP when its audio output specs as quoted by GSM Arena are "Noise -93.3dB / Crosstalk -93.0dB"? This looks worse than your average PC's onboard DAC and worse than the onboard DACs of a lot of flagship phones from the past few years: Note 3, Note 4, Meizu MX5 etc. etc. I'm smelling marketing BS here.

Apr 6, 2016 at 4:59 PM Post #642 of 1,179
How is this phone's DAC better than a portable headphone DAC or a DAP when its audio output specs as quoted by GSM Arena are "Noise -93.3dB / Crosstalk -93.0dB
"? This looks worse than your average PC's onboard DAC and worse than the onboard DACs of a lot of flagship phones from the past few years: Note 3, Note 4, Meizu MX5 etc. etc. I'm smelling marketing BS here.

I recommend you read and search more about LG V10. The measurements from that site had been discussed many times before

Apr 6, 2016 at 5:37 PM Post #643 of 1,179
I recommend you read and search more about LG V10. The measurements from that site had been discussed many times before

Why go through the trouble of posting a reply if you're not going to include any actual information in it whatsoever? No link to what you think I should be looking at, not even a simple clarification like "those GSM Arena measurements are wrong" or "high resolution is more important than SNR" or anything. You're just sending me out to blindly search through all the discussions ever mentioning the LG V10 in hopes of finding something relevant.

No, thanks. I asked a question. I'll keep waiting, I'm sure there are people in this forum who know how to answer a question.

Apr 6, 2016 at 5:44 PM Post #644 of 1,179
Why go through the trouble of posting a reply if you're not going to include any actual information in it whatsoever? No link to what you think I should be looking at, not even a simple clarification like "those GSM Arena measurements are wrong" or "high resolution is more important than SNR" or anything. You're just sending me out to blindly search through all the discussions ever mentioning the LG V10 in hopes of finding something relevant.

No, thanks. I asked a question. I'll keep waiting, I'm sure there are people in this forum who know how to answer a question.

Fair enough, the V10 has 2 built in DAC, and it will always default onto the V10 on the older firmware. Even turning on Hi-fi function, only the stock playback app can access the ESS Sabres DAC, and only high impedance headphones will trickle it into high-gain mode. The consensus is that GSMarena made those measurements on the apps that could not access into the ESS DAC, but rather the Snapdragon DAC in the V10.

I just didn't want to explain it because for however many positive feedbacks, you still think it is marketing BS, which is a bit too harsh for something you didn't really read up into.

Cheer

Apr 6, 2016 at 6:21 PM Post #645 of 1,179
OK, thanks, that was actually helpful. :)

To clear that up, I assumed marketing BS because I found similar measurements for another phone hyped as being "for audiophiles" - the Vivo X5 Max - and because I'm the kind who trusts measurements and numbers over subjective opinions no matter how many there are of the latter (even in a forum like this I can't know what percentage of the users actually know what they're talking about - it's still the Internet, or humanity if you will).

On one hand, that means they must've made the same mistake when assessing the Vivo and possibly also some of the hyped models from Meizu (MX4?), but on the other it also has to mean that support for the high-end DACs in these phones is still pretty flimsy, considering you have to jump through so many hoops just to get them activated. What remains strange about this is that I'm supposed to believe people who know how to make SNR and crosstalk measurements would make such a stupid mistake as to not make sure they've activated the right DAC... orrr... if the measurements are actually just quoted from the manufacturers' documentation, that these manufacturers are putting out awesome devices without publishing (and emphasizing!) their awesome specs.

Anyway, it looks like I do have to look more deeply into this. There are definitely strange things going on with the information being published by the manufacturers and GSM Arena alike.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back