LG G7 ThinQ DTS-X
Jun 18, 2018 at 9:36 AM Post #31 of 292
Looks like it kept the flac at 16 bit 44.1 kHz on neutron. I'm using the Eval version, don't know if that limits the feature set or anything.

Good. Thanks for the test! :)

In the V30 it can't play at 44.1khz 16 bit on PCM, so it always moves to 24bit or 48khz even on the eval version of neutron.

My main music source is Tidal hi-fi 44/16 so now i'm pretty sure i'll get the G7. thanks !

Jun 25, 2018 at 9:25 AM Post #36 of 292
It's worth it.

What do you like the most about your V30?

Audio quality, clarity obviously. Thinness.

I would like to go for dual sim somehow so thinking to go for V30+ or G7 via eglobalcentral.

Or buy a second phone, if audio is not significantly better, for example because of 3D sound.

Is that really value adding for music or just a gimmick with e.g. Tidal? This never mentioned in reviews....

Jun 25, 2018 at 9:45 AM Post #37 of 292
Audio quality, clarity obviously. Thinness.

I would like to go for dual sim somehow so thinking to go for V30+ or G7 via eglobalcentral.

Or buy a second phone, if audio is not significantly better, for example because of 3D sound.

Is that really value adding for music or just a gimmick with e.g. Tidal? This never mentioned in reviews....

The 3D audio feature is fully separate from the Quad-DAC. It's probably good for videos/movies, but not for music.

I used the V30 and now the G7 as a DAP and hardly for watching movies. So, as a DAP, they both sound just as good.

Also, the boombox speaker is pretty cool.

Jun 28, 2018 at 9:17 AM Post #38 of 292
Anyone know the output impedance on the G7? Did it maintain the 1ohm output impedance of the V30? Looking for a good pairing for the Massdrop Plus Universal IEMs, which are sensitive and perform best with a source output impedance of <1ohm. Trying to decide between the V30 and G7 ThinQ from T-mobile for my next phone. Will also be occasionally driving a variety of other cans.

Jun 29, 2018 at 2:41 AM Post #40 of 292
So i'm going to chime back in on this thread. I've had the phone for a little more than a week now and I'm very happy with it. Battery life is much better than i expected, the user experience is good, and the sound has been excellent. No regrets upgrading from a V20 to this. Sound wise it should be very similar to the v30, but the rest of the phone is a solid upgrade. Way better screen (glad they brought back IPS, their OLED was blotchy) super responsive. Big thumbs up from me.

Jul 1, 2018 at 2:12 PM Post #41 of 292
I ended up picking up the G7 and I love it. Audio blows me away, and really defies what I would expect out of a cell phone. I tried out my HD 6XXs and Massdrop Plus Universal IEMS, and both were driven perfectly be the phone. Detected them correctly, as they ended up being around the same volume (30-40 out of 75). I did a little back to back comparison of both of them on my Mimby-Jotunheim combo vs the G7 and left impressed. I didn't perfectly volume match, and I could tell which was which, but for a portable solution, I was amazed at how close the sound was. Only big negative I would bring up is the battery life. I am not a power user by any means, but I can easily see myself not lasting the day compared to my Note 8 when I never had a problem.

For those using the Quad DAC, what digital filter do you end up using/liking? I am typically a default setting, no EQ guy, so having to choose one of the filters is driving me a bit crazy.

Jul 2, 2018 at 11:02 AM Post #42 of 292
I'm like you. Flat equalization, sound preset is normal and digital filter set to "sharp". I will, in time, change the EQ for a little emphasis in a certain midrange band for "presence". I'm not sure where exactly, Must take time to experiment. Only thing I dislike is Google Assist button.

Jul 3, 2018 at 10:12 PM Post #43 of 292
The 3D audio feature is fully separate from the Quad-DAC. It's probably good for videos/movies, but not for music.

I used the V30 and now the G7 as a DAP and hardly for watching movies. So, as a DAP, they both sound just as good.

Also, the boombox speaker is pretty cool.

This, I've tried the 3d audio and it felt so natural the first time I listen with it on, but after discovering it, I had to disable it for listening to music. I'm surprised how powerful it is, Its much powerful than S8...it made me want to switch phone with my mother lol.

Jul 3, 2018 at 11:37 PM Post #44 of 292
Good. Thanks for the test! :)

In the V30 it can't play at 44.1khz 16 bit on PCM, so it always moves to 24bit or 48khz even on the eval version of neutron.

My main music source is Tidal hi-fi 44/16 so now i'm pretty sure i'll get the G7. thanks !
My G6 sounds fantastic and in Neutron it appears that there is no upsampling as I see files as 16bit 44.1kHz. But yes, if I didn't get the G6 recently I would totally grab the G7, but be careful, LG drop their prices. Not 2 months after I picked up my G6 on a 2 year contract with Virgin Mobile, the G6 dropped by over $400. I was not happy, bad timing, but still, a company should never do that. As it is now I will never buy another LG flagship until it has been out close to a year, just not worth it. The specs are never so far away that the previous model isn't still very close on most things.

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2018 at 1:06 AM Post #45 of 292
I ended up picking up the G7 and I love it. Audio blows me away, and really defies what I would expect out of a cell phone. I tried out my HD 6XXs and Massdrop Plus Universal IEMS, and both were driven perfectly be the phone. Detected them correctly, as they ended up being around the same volume (30-40 out of 75). I did a little back to back comparison of both of them on my Mimby-Jotunheim combo vs the G7 and left impressed. I didn't perfectly volume match, and I could tell which was which, but for a portable solution, I was amazed at how close the sound was. Only big negative I would bring up is the battery life. I am not a power user by any means, but I can easily see myself not lasting the day compared to my Note 8 when I never had a problem.

For those using the Quad DAC, what digital filter do you end up using/liking? I am typically a default setting, no EQ guy, so having to choose one of the filters is driving me a bit crazy.
I'm waiting on my Massdrop HD 58x Jubilee's, i'm glad to hear your G7 drives the 6XX with no sweat; as long as it triggers high impedence mode i'll be set.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back