LG G6 Sound Quality
Oct 5, 2018 at 9:37 PM Post #436 of 453
Seeing how many people point out they don't have noise floor issues with their IEMs (including a CIEM pair), may I ask: how come? I just received my LG G6+, the HiFi DAC is turned on and my Shure SE535s hiss as much as on my old phone. They don't hiss with my Fiio X5 II, so the problem should be with the phone. The hiss is very audible with Google Music, PowerAmp and the stock app.

By the way, I don't see any settings related to the DAC other than enabling it and adjusting left/right channel balance. No digital filters, etc. Maybe this has something to do with the noise floor?
Funny, you might not want to complain about audio quality when using services like Google Music here. Clearly there's a chink in your armor or a weak link in your audio.

Btw, Shure se535 kinda sucks compared to the offerings of today. Just saying, time to upgrade. Try the ath-e70

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2018 at 8:14 AM Post #437 of 453
Funny, you might not want to complain about audio quality when using services like Google Music here. Clearly there's a chink in your armor or a weak link in your audio.

Btw, Shure se535 kinda sucks compared to the offerings of today. Just saying, time to upgrade. Try the ath-e70

I see your point, but for the record Google Music can still play FLAC files from the phone's storage, which is what I was actually testing with. Also, I'll be upgrading to CIEMs :).

Upon investigating further, I noticed LG's stock music app annotates some files with a HiFi icon that surprisingly didn't hiss with any app and sounded quite good. Turned out those were 24-bit FLAC files with varying sampling rates. Long story short, my subsequent online research lead me to believe LG may have simply turned on a setting called audio.offload.pcm.24bit.enable in build.prop, but turned off audio.offload.pcm.16bit.enable. I think the quad DAC only handles 24-bit files directly (regardless of sampling rate) and 16-bit files have to go through some other process first, which may or may not include upsampling to 48 kHz.

I didn't bother investigating much further after that. I might be wrong with my assumptions; I don't care. The bottom line is that most of my music is ripped from CDs, meaning 44.1 kHz/16-bit FLAC files, they hiss, updating the firmware didn't help and the possible fixes would've required rooting the phone, which would've voided the warranty. I returned the phone.

Oct 6, 2018 at 10:18 AM Post #438 of 453
I see your point, but for the record Google Music can still play FLAC files from the phone's storage, which is what I was actually testing with. Also, I'll be upgrading to CIEMs :).

Upon investigating further, I noticed LG's stock music app annotates some files with a HiFi icon that surprisingly didn't hiss with any app and sounded quite good. Turned out those were 24-bit FLAC files with varying sampling rates. Long story short, my subsequent online research lead me to believe LG may have simply turned on a setting called audio.offload.pcm.24bit.enable in build.prop, but turned off audio.offload.pcm.16bit.enable. I think the quad DAC only handles 24-bit files directly (regardless of sampling rate) and 16-bit files have to go through some other process first, which may or may not include upsampling to 48 kHz.

I didn't bother investigating much further after that. I might be wrong with my assumptions; I don't care. The bottom line is that most of my music is ripped from CDs, meaning 44.1 kHz/16-bit FLAC files, they hiss, updating the firmware didn't help and the possible fixes would've required rooting the phone, which would've voided the warranty. I returned the phone.
Nah, Google converts flac files to mp3. You can change the 16 bit offload as well or just use usb audio player pro and or the lg music app.

Oct 6, 2018 at 10:45 PM Post #439 of 453

Some have investigated, and found that if the file is 16bit, it sends it through the Qualcom ASRC. This is unlikely to be of the highest quality to save battery power. I don't know if this is the source of your issues, however if you convert some of your 16 bit FLAC files to 24 bit with no added dither, they take up the same space, and it seems get pushed directly to the QUAD DAC. Give this a try and you may find it fixes the issue. I can check as I use insensitive over ear headphones, so no hiss even with high impedance mode.

Are you using high impedance mode? It will also make the noise floor higher.

Oct 7, 2018 at 11:51 AM Post #440 of 453
Some have investigated, and found that if the file is 16bit, it sends it through the Qualcom ASRC. This is unlikely to be of the highest quality to save battery power. I don't know if this is the source of your issues, however if you convert some of your 16 bit FLAC files to 24 bit with no added dither, they take up the same space, and it seems get pushed directly to the QUAD DAC. Give this a try and you may find it fixes the issue. I can check as I use insensitive over ear headphones, so no hiss even with high impedance mode.

Are you using high impedance mode? It will also make the noise floor higher.

This confirms my suspicions and I'm virtually certain this is the source of my issues. You know, this is exactly what I thought at one point: LG wanted to save battery power and that's why they decided to reroute 16-bit files to the Qualcomm DAC, but I thought I was wrong, because people kept saying the quad DAC is always active if HiFi mode is enabled.

By the way, I wasn't using high impedance mode. The phone correctly identified the Shures as low impedance and I didn't try any hacks to force it into high impedance mode.

It's too late for me to try your suggested fix, since I already returned the phone, but I appreciate your input. Now that I know the actual source of the problem, I can check in advance whether other LG quad DAC-enabled phones exhibit this behavior and whether it's fixed. I haven't entirely given up on LG, but one other reason I returned the G6+ was because I had trouble turning the screen off with the power button being on the back and all. Now I'm eyeing the G7 :).

Nov 26, 2018 at 6:12 AM Post #441 of 453
I have the lg g6 with the quad dac.
I broke the headphone jack so resorting to using a digital USB dongle to connect to my wired headphones.
However now it won't allow me to enable the hifi quad dac option in the drag down menu and more as it thinks there is no headset connected.
Is there a way to permanently enable to hifi quad dac?

Nov 26, 2018 at 8:18 PM Post #442 of 453
I have the lg g6 with the quad dac.
I broke the headphone jack so resorting to using a digital USB dongle to connect to my wired headphones.
However now it won't allow me to enable the hifi quad dac option in the drag down menu and more as it thinks there is no headset connected.
Is there a way to permanently enable to hifi quad dac?
If you're using the USB connection, the DAC will be in the USB device (like Dragonfly, etc.) and then pushed out the 3.5mm/your headphones. You'd be bypassing the on board LG G6 Quad DAC.

Nov 26, 2018 at 9:53 PM Post #444 of 453
I'm not using a dac/amp combo, just a usb dongle from google play store therefore it'll still be using the internal dac.

https://store.google.com/product/usb_c_headphone_adapter

You might not be aware, but these dongles have D/As built in them, otherwise they won't work.

You can read more on the teardown of the Google USB-C Digital to 3.5mm Adapter here.

Google-USB-C-digital-audio-adapter22.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2018 at 11:08 PM Post #445 of 453
in the large V30 music app thread, are those same settings and apps relevent to the G6+ I am currently using the stop app and its leave lots to be desired.

Jan 19, 2019 at 10:25 AM Post #446 of 453
Just have received a used LG g6 quad dac version. Sounds very good, even with my focal Elear.
Just have two questions :
- does the phone work with usb Dac on otg? For example the Mojo. Cause I try several cables and it doesn't work but maybe I don't have an otg cable usb c.
- with UAPP, I have a problem. Dsd files are not native and convert at 172 kHz it seems. With neutron, I have native dsd. What settings I have to make to play native dsd on UAPP?
Thanks !!

Jan 20, 2019 at 4:36 PM Post #447 of 453
Just have received a used LG g6 quad dac version. Sounds very good, even with my focal Elear.
Just have two questions :
- does the phone work with usb Dac on otg? For example the Mojo. Cause I try several cables and it doesn't work but maybe I don't have an otg cable usb c.
- with UAPP, I have a problem. Dsd files are not native and convert at 172 kHz it seems. With neutron, I have native dsd. What settings I have to make to play native dsd on UAPP?
Thanks !!
If it has the same dac as the v30, you shouldn't need an external dac.

May 5, 2019 at 5:28 AM Post #448 of 453
Just bought the LG G8. I am recovering from a cold, but early signs with less than clear sinuses suggest an improvement on my G6 into my Sines. It doesn't say it is in high impedance mode, but it is definately louder when I do the inpedance trick.

May 6, 2019 at 11:51 PM Post #449 of 453
Just bought the LG G8. I am recovering from a cold, but early signs with less than clear sinuses suggest an improvement on my G6 into my Sines. It doesn't say it is in high impedance mode, but it is definately louder when I do the inpedance trick.

Interesting. It appears the G8 needs BOTH channels to be 600>R>50 ohms to get high impedance mode.

Dec 10, 2019 at 12:31 PM Post #450 of 453
I found cheap LG G6 korean G600 online . this is Quad Dac right? Anything quirky I should know about? hoping to make this daily DAP

Users who are viewing this thread

Back