LG G6 Sound Quality
Dec 10, 2017 at 8:10 AM Post #421 of 453
The andromeda is around 12.8 ohms. I don't really care if all four dacs are activated. 4 doesn't necessarily better 1. If they push out too much voltage it'll ruin the sound too anyway, plus you'll have little control of the volume. Using it I'm aux mode would just push the highest power it can. With sensitive iems this could damage it.

I have tried and tested G6 for 2 months with all aux adapters etc

Fact is unless g6 dac doesn’t goes to high impedance mode the sound quality is not good along with volume

Compare it with any ESS dac DaP with your same headphone and Then with G6 you will experience the difference

LG should have given a simple option to switch on and off the full power of dac not do this automatically which kills a fantastic music phone

Dec 14, 2017 at 7:46 PM Post #423 of 453
I have Exynos Galaxy S8 and I will buy G6 without Quad DAC. Is it downgrade from Galaxy S8?

I'm sorry but I cannot comment on the difference. However why would you do that? The Samsung out performs the G6 in many ways, apart from the DAC, and I have the G6 (because of the Quad DAC). I like LG phones, but...

Is it a region thing and you can only get the non Quad DAC where you live? If so, get the V30 with the Quad DAC.

Dec 15, 2017 at 6:40 PM Post #424 of 453
I have the LG quad DAC variant without the wireless charging. Is there a way I can add this by simply charging the glass back? Reason I'm asking is that I use an external dac and it can't be charged simultaneously while in use and have yet to find a split cable does provide power

Dec 24, 2017 at 11:47 PM Post #425 of 453
Has anybody tried listening to HD 598 with the LG G6 Quad DAC variant.Does the 598 trigger the Quad DAC?

Because this is the headphone I use for serious listening at home with my HTC One A9.(Source 256/320 kbps files on Apple Music etc.)

Jan 20, 2018 at 6:16 AM Post #427 of 453
To all of you with the QuadDac version I recommend you to try the USB Audio Player Pro Beta. You have to request it to the developer. Check the thread:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/usb...-usb-audio-support-for-android.704065/page-92

They use directly a driver to access the internal Sabre DAC without resampling, so whe get a great bitperfect mode with standard and High Res files. It works great and the sound quality is the best I heard since I've been using LG with Hifi Dacs (I'ts my third).

I edit to say that Neutron player has already this support for bit perfect and hi res files without resampling. The results are absolutely stellar. I've been comparing a chord mojo to the direct driver playback from Neutron and it's stunning to feel how close they are... There is only the difference of the sound signature between the warmer mojo and the brighter Sabre DAC, but quality wise are very similar. This is so great.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2018 at 12:32 AM Post #428 of 453
Hi there,

LG G6 quad dac user here.
Has anyone has white noise issues when pairing the G6 with BA iems?
I had this issues when I pause a song and doing other things such as receiving a call and replying a message...

Feb 1, 2018 at 1:52 AM Post #429 of 453
Absolute zero white noise with my ciem.
in fact, lg g6 with quad DAC is the only dap I've heard that offers complete silence.
Not sure about receiving call messages though.

Feb 1, 2018 at 7:40 AM Post #430 of 453
Absolute zero white noise with my ciem.
in fact, lg g6 with quad DAC is the only dap I've heard that offers complete silence.
Not sure about receiving call messages though.
With more test were done just now, I can confirm the source of the problem is the left driver and not the phone :relieved:
Anyway, thanks for the reply... It has been bothering me since I had the new iem last Sunday :confounded:
and yes the phone is very quiet indeed :)

Feb 11, 2018 at 12:01 PM Post #431 of 453
This is great fix for LG phones:

This may not be practical for everyone, and I haven't seen it mentioned (though it may have been).

In order to get around the 44/16 resampling issue in LG music (both on the V20 and my new V30+). I simply increase the bit depth on all my files to 24 bit.

Ithis has no effect on sound quality as you are not upsampling.

Really easy with something like dbpoweramp batch converter. Run all my files through it, with change bit depth to 24 bit, leaves high-res untouched and changes 44/16 to 44/24.

Now red book gets the all important "Hi-Fi-flag" in LG music and no SRC.

Essentially, this is exactly what neutron is doing on the fly to defeat SRC. If you like the LG music app better, you have an option.

Sure there are other solutions like Neutron or rooting your phone, but this bypasses the android sample rate converter converting to 48kHz when you have 44.1kHz 16 bit files. It seem this sample rate converter is not well implemented, probably to save power. If you make sure you switch off adding dither, the files will not be bigger. I've found they are slightly smaller when you allow the conversion to take longer and optimise.

I still haven't done blind listening, but I think this is not a small improvement on lossless files.

May 22, 2018 at 5:28 PM Post #433 of 453
Hi guys,

Could you tell me how is the sound quality of the LG G6 version without the quad dac? It still has a DAC at least? How is it comparable to other phones like Galaxy S7/S8?

I know it's been a really long time but I just wanted to answer this question in case someone else is interested.
I just got a NON QUAD DAC LG G6, and I can tell you that it has noticeable better audio quality vs the Galaxy s7 Exynos version, which was my previous phone.

The s7 sound was "muddy", less detailed, and less powerful. In the S7 I had to turn up the volume to about 80% to get the same power output as the LG g6 is giving me at about 60%.

I am totally pleased with the upgraded sound I'm getting from the G6.

NOTE: I use RHA T20 IEM. I also use mostly Spotify with Extreme quality audio.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2018 at 8:01 AM Post #434 of 453
Hi,

Hopefully someone can help me. I've had my G6 from a year now and have spent numerous hours researching the ess sabre DAC. When listening via Spotify and having the Hi-Fi Quad DAC option turned on will I be utilising the Sabre DAC or not?

Everything I read seems to constantly contradic its self!

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2018 at 7:15 AM Post #435 of 453
Seeing how many people point out they don't have noise floor issues with their IEMs (including a CIEM pair), may I ask: how come? I just received my LG G6+, the HiFi DAC is turned on and my Shure SE535s hiss as much as on my old phone. They don't hiss with my Fiio X5 II, so the problem should be with the phone. The hiss is very audible with Google Music, PowerAmp and the stock app.

By the way, I don't see any settings related to the DAC other than enabling it and adjusting left/right channel balance. No digital filters, etc. Maybe this has something to do with the noise floor?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back