LG G6 Sound Quality
Oct 23, 2017 at 9:14 AM Post #391 of 453
I have the G6 and can't hear any difference between the different settings, except of course more power. I think this is the key point. We always assume more power/higher volume to sound better.

I have tried different iems/headphones at the different settings and(as good as I can) to match the volume. I am not saying that this is the truth but I can't hear any difference. Of course some headphones require more power than the default settings can give. I trigger my Ultrasone Signature Pro into aux mode, if not I would have to go very high on volume in the default mode. Up to about 60/75 and this is for me to high. But for easy to drive iems/headphones i can't hear any difference at all.

I also tried to a/b with my FiiO X7ii and X5iii and my conclusion is the same.

Thanks your assessment seems very logical and helpfully

May I request you to pls help us with your comparison with G6 sound quality is fiio x7ii and x5iii since you seem to have these DAPs

As per your assessment would you recommend anyone to buy any of these fiio standalone player if someone already have G6 with Quad DAC?

Thanks in advance ....

Oct 23, 2017 at 9:50 AM Post #392 of 453
Thanks your assessment seems very logical and helpfully

May I request you to pls help us with your comparison with G6 sound quality is fiio x7ii and x5iii since you seem to have these DAPs

As per your assessment would you recommend anyone to buy any of these fiio standalone player if someone already have G6 with Quad DAC?

Thanks in advance ....

This is just my opinion, always use your own ears, we all hear different. And I don't spent a lot of time a/b i mostly just listen and enjoy music.

There are already several comparisons in this and other treads between V20/G6/V30 and different daps. For my ears the difference in sound quality is small though still noticeable. G6 vs X5 3rd: the X5 is slightly warmer(more smooth) with a better low end, the G6 has slightly more detail in the treble. With the DT 1990 I prefer the X5, with the B&W P7 I prefer the G6. Overall the difference between these 2 is not big in my opinion and more comes down to preferences. The X7ii is a refined G6 :). A level above but definitely not night and day difference.

LG makes serious good daps.... :)

Oct 23, 2017 at 10:07 AM Post #393 of 453
This is just my opinion, always use your own ears, we all hear different. And I don't spent a lot of time a/b i mostly just listen and enjoy music.

There are already several comparisons in this and other treads between V20/G6/V30 and different daps. For my ears the difference in sound quality is small though still noticeable. G6 vs X5 3rd: the X5 is slightly warmer(more smooth) with a better low end, the G6 has slightly more detail in the treble. With the DT 1990 I prefer the X5, with the B&W P7 I prefer the G6. Overall the difference between these 2 is not big in my opinion and more comes down to preferences. The X7ii is a refined G6 :). A level above but definitely not night and day difference.

Thanks I don’t have fiio x5 iii or even x7 ii, and I trust your assessment since x7 ii also has ESS dac but a Pro one hence should be refined G6 sound like you mentioned

So basically if it’s not night and day difference then I believe I have made a good choice in getting G6 Quad DAC Verizon which will serve me as a decent secondary phone and a full fledged DAP , most importantly in my country G6 with Quad DAC is at same cost as X5 iii hence I thought G6 will be a good option

X7 ii is anyways quite expensive but if you saying it’s refined G6 and not a night and day difference to your ear then it’s good enough for me

Cheers buddy

Oct 23, 2017 at 10:26 AM Post #395 of 453

Btw what's your take on the whole G6 quad DAC triggering full DAC node only for high impedence mode etc ?

Oct 23, 2017 at 11:12 AM Post #396 of 453
Not quite sure why you make this claim concerning the activation of the Quad DAC. Is the G6 different from the V20 in this regard? It has already been established and confirmed by LG, that as long as the source is high quality all four DAC's are active whether in normal, external device, or high impedance mode with the V20. You can read the V20 Sound Quality thread for confirmation of this fact.

Is the G6's implementation of the Quad DAC different than the V20?

I have the G6 and can't hear any difference between the different settings, except of course more power. I think this is the key point. We always assume more power/higher volume to sound better.

I have tried different iems/headphones at the different settings and(as good as I can) to match the volume. I am not saying that this is the truth but I can't hear any difference. Of course some headphones require more power than the default settings can give. I trigger my Ultrasone Signature Pro into aux mode, if not I would have to go very high on volume in the default mode. Up to about 60/75 and this is for me to high. But for easy to drive iems/headphones i can't hear any difference at all.

I also tried to a/b with my FiiO X7ii and X5iii and my conclusion is the same.

did you guys tried with 60 ohms above earphone or headphone?

"The Quad DAC’s low power mode shuts down three of the four DACs when they’re not needed, to increase battery life when playing lower quality audio or using lower quality headsets. – Ken Hong, global communications director for LG"

"The signals from each DAC path adds together but noise does not, resulting in higher signal with less increase in noise. Each doubling of converters results in half the decimation noise – Ken Hong, global communications director for LG"

https://www.androidauthority.com/lg-v20-quad-dac-explained-713587/

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2017 at 11:40 AM Post #397 of 453
"The Quad DAC’s low power mode shuts down three of the four DACs when they’re not needed, to increase battery life when playing lower quality audio or using lower quality headsets. – Ken Hong, global communications director for LG"

"The signals from each DAC path adds together but noise does not, resulting in higher signal with less increase in noise. Each doubling of converters results in half the decimation noise – Ken Hong, global communications director for LG"

Hmm. I read this as meaning that "low power mode" is when not using the HIFI Mode ! And not the "low impedance" mode when HIFI Mode is on... LG clearly states that HIFI mode on the LG G6 Uses more power than normal mode. So believe that the Quad Dac's are being used whenever the HIFI Mode is turned on; regardless of the Impedance.. Wish this issue could be confirmed by LG. "Low Power Mode" is not a clear term....

Anyway, sound signature using 1 vs 4 dacs should be same, just S/N goes beyond already inaudible levels... The Amp(s) used for Non-HIFI Mode, for Low Impedance HIFI Mode, and for High Impedance HIFI modes could all be different ? And that could affect sound signature between modes...

Oct 23, 2017 at 11:57 AM Post #398 of 453
did you guys tried with 60 ohms above earphone or headphone?

https://www.androidauthority.com/lg-v20-quad-dac-explained-713587/

Yes to your first question.

How does the quad dac recognize "lower quality audio" or "lower quality headsets".... A headset with less than 50 ohm are low quality? Another thing, Ibasso DX200 has 2 dacs the FiiO X7ii only one, but the G6 has a quad dac.... :) For me it's more marketing than anything else!

For the fun of it I just tried my DT 1990 in both AUX mode and high impedance mode. I can't really hear a difference except I have to go very high on volume in AUX mode. Maybe I can hear a little bit background noise in AUX mode, but really not sure and maybe just because I have to go so high in volume.

Again I am not saying I am correct, it's just what I am hearing and I only use my ears to match the volume. I don't have any equipment to do proper volume match.

Anyway I am not complaining about the sound quality :)

Oct 23, 2017 at 12:12 PM Post #399 of 453
Yes to your first question.

How does the quad dac recognize "lower quality audio" or "lower quality headsets".... A headset with less than 50 ohm are low quality? Another thing, Ibasso DX200 has 2 dacs the FiiO X7ii only one, but the G6 has a quad dac.... :) For me it's more marketing than anything else!

For the fun of it I just tried my DT 1990 in both AUX mode and high impedance mode. I can't really hear a difference except I have to go very high on volume in AUX mode. Maybe I can hear a little bit background noise in AUX mode, but really not sure and maybe just because I have to go so high in volume.

Again I am not saying I am correct, it's just what I am hearing and I only use my ears to match the volume. I don't have any equipment to do proper volume match.

Anyway I am not complaining about the sound quality :)

I don’t thing any dac or amp can ever determine quality of audio themselves ... but I think G6 has a way to determine impedance of the attached headphone which is logical

But it’s still not clear if for normal device mode all quad dacs are used or just 1 or 2 etc ?

As far as I read and experienced personally with my set of headphones the volume does increase but quality like you mentioned here don’t necessarily.... so based on impedance of the headphone connected may be the power of its amp is adjusted to utilise less power and save battery but in either case all quad dacs are used

Oct 23, 2017 at 1:13 PM Post #400 of 453
There is a post somewhere in the V20 Sound Quality thread where someone who was in direct contact with someone at LG reiterates what LG told them, that if the phone is in hifi mode all four DAC's are being utilized.

Oct 24, 2017 at 9:45 AM Post #402 of 453
If that is the case, if one's want to trigger high impedance mode with 16 Ohm IEMs, is just because of dynamics, since there will be more bass, etc.

With high impedance there will be more power out of amp mostly so which you were to listen at 60 with normal mode , and same stuff with high impedance mode it can be easily played at 40

Users who are viewing this thread

Back