LG G5, Possible DAC or Camera modules. Audiophiles enjoy ?
Feb 21, 2016 at 8:00 PM Post #61 of 1,050
I am not sure if this is correct...

----

Modular design aside, the Hi-Fi Plus’ most intriguing features are its 32bit Sabre ES9028C2M DAC (digital to analog converter), and its Sabre9602c amplifier, which will allow the device to playback 24bit/192kHz hi-res tracks. A trusted brand in hi-fi, Sabre makes components for a wide array of high-end receivers and other audio components for brands like Pioneer, Yamaha, and others. That kind of quality circuitry is something audiophiles have been looking for in a smartphone for years.

The system also comes with a headphone upgrade in Bang & Olufsen’s H3 in-ear headphones, which will run you around $200 on their own. That leads us to wonder what it will cost you to buy the module for your G5 — all LG is saying is present is that the pricing will be “reasonable,” but there’s no telling what that will translate to in dollars and cents. Then again, even a modest hi-res portable audio player will usually cost around $500-1,000, so anything under that healthy sum may be worthwhile considering.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/lg-g5-hi-fi-plus-modular-hi-res-dac/

Feb 21, 2016 at 8:08 PM Post #62 of 1,050
This sounds good, only if we had balanced out as well :D...dang it. Es9028 is the newest DAC just announced this year I believe.

Es9028 has 2x DAC (Dual-DAC) inside it...wow! Vivo x6 plus will also have the same but built in

http://www.esstech.com/index.php/en/news/newsroom/ess-premieres-new-es9028-sabre-mobile-dac-es9603-headphone-amplifier/

Feb 21, 2016 at 8:25 PM Post #63 of 1,050
Now I heard that the module will get 3rd party support, I can imagine people selling their DAP en mass to buy G5 if somehow many audio manufacturers starts to make their own module. I know I'll be selling my DP-X1 if a brand makes true balanced setup and tune it very well because this is pretty much the future that I've been waiting for.

Feb 21, 2016 at 8:31 PM Post #64 of 1,050
Now I heard that the module will get 3rd party support, I can imagine people selling their DAP en mass to buy G5 if somehow many audio manufacturers starts to make their own module. I know I'll be selling my DP-X1 if a brand makes true balanced setup and tune it very well because this is pretty much the future that I've been waiting for.

Yes, and I am too. There is nothing better than a powerhouse (also a phone) to help playback music, and the unlimited apps + possible things we can enjoy on it, where as audiophile players are very limited, and totally decades behind in processing power and Operating system. I mean...what a shame, they all cost so much...Now, what else out there will be making module as well ?

I know I am damn interested to have this newest 9028 Sabres and amp module. But when will it be available will be a question. There is a rumor from Asia countries that this module cost $300. I don't really need that B&O in ear monitors....lol....another way to bundle stuff up and boost up sell :frowning2:

Feb 21, 2016 at 8:39 PM Post #65 of 1,050
I wonder kind of stock DAC/AMP is already in the G5 when someone can't afford the B&O module, if it's bundled or not?

Feb 21, 2016 at 8:42 PM Post #66 of 1,050
I wonder kind of stock DAC/AMP is already in the G5 when someone can't afford the B&O module, if it's bundled or not?

Seeing how the S7 will bundle offer of free gear VR in early adopters, the G5 may just bundles the Hi-Fi Plus or Camera Plus upon your choices ? Lol....LG loves to compete against Samsung.

If LG doesn't say anything about it built in DAC on the G5, I suspect that it will be the Snapdragon one :xf_eek:

Feb 21, 2016 at 8:44 PM Post #68 of 1,050
Seeing how the S7 will bundle offer of free gear VR in early adopters, the G5 may just bundles the Hi-Fi Plus or Camera Plus upon your choices ? Lol....LG loves to compete against Samsung.

If LG doesn't say anything about it built in DAC on the G5, I suspect that it will be the Snapdragon one
redface.gif

It would be awesome to have my choice of bundle.  This is an audiophile site so we all know what we're choosing.  I'm due for my next phone and this Sony Z3 is showing it's age (I'm using my free 99 HTC M9 right now).

Is the snapdragon decent?

Feb 21, 2016 at 8:46 PM Post #69 of 1,050
It also kind of sucks that LG decided to partner up with B&O for the DAC.  It's an unnecessary vanity tax to make this thing appear like luxury.  The LG V10 was completely fine with it's awesome DAC/AMP combo. 

The Vivo Six Plus seems to be using the exact same dac/amp combo, so if for nothing- we have alternatives that won't be trying to nickel and dime us.

Feb 21, 2016 at 8:51 PM Post #70 of 1,050
It also kind of sucks that LG decided to partner up with B&O for the DAC.  It's an unnecessary vanity tax to make this thing appear like luxury.  The LG V10 was completely fine with it's awesome DAC/AMP combo. 

The Vivo Six Plus seems to be using the exact same dac/amp combo, so if for nothing- we have alternatives that won't be trying to nickel and dime us.

Agreed, however instead of having the DAC built-in, LG did us a favor and allow us to update our DAC. See ? ESS release new DAC every year just like smartphones nowadays....so if you have v10, you can't upgrade the DAC....however G5 ? Buy another module lol...

Modules = unlimited possibility to upgrades. If this idea is welcom by many 3rd party, we will be looking into ground breaking trend, where portable audio will no longer mean a stacked up of gears, expensive standalone dap...but simply a phone with attached module and the ability to upgrade, swap at ease.

Snapdragon DAC had been known to be the worse in audio performances....however it had been slowly improving

Feb 21, 2016 at 8:53 PM Post #71 of 1,050
On a personal
Agreed, however instead of having the DAC built-in, LG did us a favor and allow us to update our DAC. See ? ESS release new DAC every year just like smartphones nowadays....so if you have v10, you can't upgrade the DAC....however G5 ? Buy another module lol...

Modules = unlimited possibility to upgrades. If this idea is welcom by many 3rd party, we will be looking into ground breaking trend, where portable audio will no longer mean a stacked up of gears, expensive standalone dap...but simply a phone with attached module and the ability to upgrade, swap at ease.

Snapdragon DAC had been known to be the worse in audio performances....however it had been slowly improving

On a personal level, DAC's can only get so "good".  The real meat and potatoes is how the amp is going to perform. Will it really be able to power our HD650/HD800s?  Plenty of guys on this site scoff at the very notion, but the reality is- lounging around in my HD650s is the best way to listen to them.  

So I'm extremely excited to see just how that pans out. 

Feb 21, 2016 at 8:58 PM Post #72 of 1,050

I can see a gigantic module still though lol, I know I would be willing to put a 1cm thick module that almost cover up the whole backplate but with the performance of at least DP-X1 or rival that of HM901s even.

Feb 21, 2016 at 9:26 PM Post #73 of 1,050
Some early impressions on the sound:
http://www.whathifi.com/lg/g5/review

While we weren’t able to A/B between a G5 with and without the Hi-Fi Plus module, we listened to a 24-bit/192KHz recording of A-Ha’s Take On Me, and Glen Hansard’s Winning Streak in 24-bit/96KHz using the B&O-tuned module.

Take On Me showed off the G5’s great sense of timing, with plenty of drive to keep pushing the upbeat track forward with enthusiasm. It does itself proud with dynamics too, with enough space in its presentation for the choruses to build to their high-pitched conclusion.

Its subtle side is uncovered in Winning Streak, the G5 doing well to pick out texture and detail in the guitar strums and vocals – we love just how clear and spacious both tracks sound too.

There could perhaps be a little more bite to its character but it’s far from lackadaisical. There’s still plenty of punch there to keep it engaging.

Feb 21, 2016 at 9:39 PM Post #74 of 1,050
Thanks for sharing and well done What Hi-Fi!

So it's decent sounding, and according to the reviewer G5 drives the headphone well, which is a great news since smartphone playback quality depends on amplification, more so than on DAC.

What's left is a price.

And I wonder if the development of the modules requires LG's approval or it's open sourced?

Feb 21, 2016 at 10:18 PM Post #75 of 1,050
Well, for a bit of contrast, here is a diffferent opinion;
the writer of the artcle below feels the new G5 modular approach is a gimmick.

he makes some interesting points.
ie why would a company partner with LG and spend so much money making modules when they're not as big a
player as samsung or apple...so the payback / return on time and investment might not warrant it.
my view: well they might use LG's name brand to gain more leverage for their own product, to find a company's with
LG brand presence to help bring them to market.

always good to consider an alt point of view for some balance and friendly debate.

http://www.ibtimes.com/lg-g5-hands-are-modular-smartphones-future-2316418

Cant wait to compare the upcoming dragonflys against it..so at least we'll have alternatives.

This said, however, I do hope the modules are well priced for LG's sake,
and that sales really take off such that LG finds many partners offering to work with them.
I also enjoy supporting the smaller players, trying to take risks.
:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back