LG G3 as a portable source?
Jun 17, 2014 at 2:16 AM Post #17 of 228
I have both the M8 and the G3 in front of me right now and have spent a while over the past few days listening to determine which I thought had the superior sound quality. In general I found that the numbers reflected what I was hearing, with the M8 seeming ever so very slightly superior. There were some times the M8 seems just a little more smooth and resolving but it is such a small difference it could just be mismatched listening levels between the two phones.

The G3 running with Poweramp is absolutely outstanding and I have no issues with sending the M8 back now and using the G3 as an every day carry.

The volume is certainly louder on the M8 and it's the only Android phone that I am not able to listen to at full volume. But with the rather undemanding phones I use (B&W C5, Sony MDR-E888) this is not an issue on the G3 and it was loud enough. One interesting thing I did notice is that the native music app on the G3 would go considerably louder than Poweramp and pretty much as loud as the M8, although with reduced sound quality as compared to Poweramp or the M8.

Even though I was comparing SQ I feel it bears mentioning that the G3 display is fantastic, and the image quality is worth whatever hit you may take in battery life. The M8 is only two months old and it appears positively antique next to the G3. The clarity, color and size of the G3 display seems to increase the utility of the phone and it looks like the QHD displays will be everywhere soon. Those gorgeous album covers...   

Jun 17, 2014 at 8:43 AM Post #18 of 228
  I have both the M8 and the G3 in front of me right now and have spent a while over the past few days listening to determine which I thought had the superior sound quality. In general I found that the numbers reflected what I was hearing, with the M8 seeming ever so very slightly superior. There were some times the M8 seems just a little more smooth and resolving but it is such a small difference it could just be mismatched listening levels between the two phones.

The G3 running with Poweramp is absolutely outstanding and I have no issues with sending the M8 back now and using the G3 as an every day carry.

The volume is certainly louder on the M8 and it's the only Android phone that I am not able to listen to at full volume. But with the rather undemanding phones I use (B&W C5, Sony MDR-E888) this is not an issue on the G3 and it was loud enough. One interesting thing I did notice is that the native music app on the G3 would go considerably louder than Poweramp and pretty much as loud as the M8, although with reduced sound quality as compared to Poweramp or the M8.

Even though I was comparing SQ I feel it bears mentioning that the G3 display is fantastic, and the image quality is worth whatever hit you may take in battery life. The M8 is only two months old and it appears positively antique next to the G3. The clarity, color and size of the G3 display seems to increase the utility of the phone and it looks like the QHD displays will be everywhere soon. Those gorgeous album covers...   

that's interesting.  the sony's only 16ohms while the b&w's are 32, both are high sensitivity.  i would have figured that the g3 could drive the former pretty well, but was unsure about the latter as compared with the m8.  

tell me, how do you find the SQ of the g3 for phone calls?

all the reviews say the s5 and g3 are both kind of mediocre for actual calls.

Jul 6, 2014 at 10:29 AM Post #20 of 228
I upgraded from a Wolfson DAC Galaxy S3 and am totally satisfied with the G3 audio quality through ear phones. I use the Beyer MMX101. The sound is very detailed and clean and improves with burn-in. It struggled to drive my HD650 but it's not made to drive such phones!

I was glad to hear that it sounds better then my S3. The sound may lack a touch of drive but it's no shortfall due to the great clean sound on offer. I've always used Google's Play Music as I believe it provides the most clean and detailed sound that has not been tampered with. For those interested, as a comparison I also had my Audiolab M-DAC at hand.

On a mobile phone note, the G3 is fantastic all round and in my opinion currently the best mobile phone available unless you're a die-hard iOS fan. True the battery could be better but does okay considering it's powering the world's best screen!

Jul 6, 2014 at 11:02 AM Post #21 of 228
I upgraded from a Wolfson DAC Galaxy S3 and am totally satisfied with the G3 audio quality through ear phones. I use the Beyer MMX101. The sound is very detailed and clean and improves with burn-in. It struggled to drive my HD650 but it's not made to drive such phones!

I was glad to hear that it sounds better then my S3. The sound may lack a touch of drive but it's no shortfall due to the great clean sound on offer. I've always used Google's Play Music as I believe it provides the most clean and detailed sound that has not been tampered with. For those interested, as a comparison I also had my Audiolab M-DAC at hand.

On a mobile phone note, the G3 is fantastic all round and in my opinion currently the best mobile phone available unless you're a die-hard iOS fan. True the battery could be better but does okay considering it's powering the world's best screen!

Good to hear. My Note 2 is almost paid off, so in a couple of months, I'll be thinking about upgrading. I'm glad I'll have the G3, Oppo 7, and Note 4 to choose from. I can't go back to a smaller screen. :)

How are you liking LG's Android implementation vs. Samsung's?

Jul 7, 2014 at 3:39 PM Post #24 of 228
  By chance, do you have an Apple or Samsung/Wolfson device to compare?

I have a Wolfson Note 2 and I would say there is no doubt that the G3 is better for me. The Note 2 does have that fluid Wolfson sound, and when comparing you can really sense the difference, but overall the Note 2 is too unresolving for me.

The real question is whether or not the G3 is superior to the M8, and that's a bit more difficult. We did some side by sides here and the M8 does sound really good. The G3 is almost as good, within a hair of the M8. Without a doubt the G3 is the better phone overall, I feel it's the best phone I have ever used. 

Jul 7, 2014 at 5:15 PM Post #25 of 228
At first it seemed a little less clear cut than the Samsung but once I got used it I prefer the G3. It seems more vanilla kit kat than what Samsung do - less intrusive and a much better dual window design if you ever use the feature...
I've not heard a M8 or Sony Z2 but the G3 doesn't leave me wanting. I admit I had concerns after reading G2 reviews.

Good to hear. My Note 2 is almost paid off, so in a couple of months, I'll be thinking about upgrading. I'm glad I'll have the G3, Oppo 7, and Note 4 to choose from. I can't go back to a smaller screen. :)

How are you liking LG's Android implementation vs. Samsung's?

Jul 7, 2014 at 5:33 PM Post #26 of 228
At first it seemed a little less clear cut than the Samsung but once I got used it I prefer the G3. It seems more vanilla kit kat than what Samsung do - less intrusive and a much better dual window design if you ever use the feature...

That's good. I could do without a lot of the Samsung software, and I never use my stylus.

Looks like I might be headed for the G3 in a couple of months :)

Jul 16, 2014 at 10:21 PM Post #28 of 228
I am curious that would a phone like the G3 or M8 sound better than an entry level DAP like the Ipod Nano or the Fiio X1? I am waiting for the release of X1 but after seeing the G3 I am considering to just use it as my portable source for daily use. Anyone can share their opinions? 

Thanks

Jul 20, 2014 at 3:23 PM Post #30 of 228
I have the G3 and I have been listening to it for about 10 days. I was impressed immediately but didn't trust my ears. The only issue I have with it is the volume output. In its stock configuration, it will not drive most headphones very loud. If you can root, there is an easy modification to some system files which allow the G3 to take full advantage of its internal amp and go very loud. Needless to say, it is capable but as with many phone manufacturers they are limiting its performance. 

As for the sound I spoke of originally, I should have trusted my ears. In this review:

http://www.gsmarena.com/lg_g3_vs_htc_one_m8-review-1094p7.php

It edges out the HTC M8 and iPhone 5s which puts it in good company.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back