LFF's Enigma (new from the maker of the Paradox)
Jun 14, 2016 at 7:18 AM Post #616 of 633
Oh yes, the vegan pads, we talked about it on the previous pages but let's stress again the big difference with them (thx again for the tip Jozurr) - there were few guys at the NY meet that had heard the Enigmas before and all were surprised how much better they sounded than what they recall, and I contribute large of it part to the pads. Highly recommended to get a pair, if those seem too expensive get ZMF's protein pads that work just the same and will save $30.

Nov 14, 2017 at 7:19 AM Post #617 of 633
Can anyone compare the Enigma to the ZMF Blackwoods? I was about to pull the trigger on some of those, but as luck would have it, I found raving reviews of these. I assume that since one poster said the Enigma’s beat the Omni in every way that the same would be true of the Blackwoods, but I just want to make sure. Also if anyone could comment on whether the ZMF’s are harder to drive or not I’d appreciate it.

Nov 14, 2017 at 7:37 AM Post #618 of 633
I have ZMF"s Omni (currently named Ori) as well as the Enigma - haven't heard the Backwoods, but based on my feelings about the previous two I'd strongly recommend getting the Enigmas, if one can afford it. Very strongly. The main difference is in the soundstage where the latter are superior, though I find them also a bit more resolving across the entire spectrum, with incredible lows. Hope that helps.

Nov 14, 2017 at 12:40 PM Post #619 of 633
I have ZMF"s Omni (currently named Ori) as well as the Enigma - haven't heard the Backwoods, but based on my feelings about the previous two I'd strongly recommend getting the Enigmas, if one can afford it. Very strongly. The main difference is in the soundstage where the latter are superior, though I find them also a bit more resolving across the entire spectrum, with incredible lows. Hope that helps.
Wow, that sounds perfect! Man I’m getting excited, I think you’ve finalized the decision...

Nov 15, 2017 at 4:03 AM Post #620 of 633
The real question is, what are you looking for in terms of sound? Enigma is super, super laid back and relaxing with very rich texture. I haven't heard Alpha Prime, but I understand it's much brighter (at least in terms of planar magnetics) and more forward. The Enigma is probably a better headphone from a technical standpoint, but if you don't care for the sound that doesn't make a huge difference. I personally really loved it, but there's no way it could be my only headphone.

If you're looking for something with a sound somewhere between these two I thought the ZMF Blackwood was a really excellent all-rounder. I ultimately preferred my Ultrasone Sig Pros but I would be more than happy with only the Blackwood.

I know you posted this a great while ago, but I had to respond because you’ve experienced the rare trio I’m considering. Can you give any more detail on the Enigma vs Blackwood vs Sig Pros? I’m aiming for something that is good for “pleasure” listening (aka not analytical) with great sub-bass extension. I’m worried the Sig Pros may be too bright and the others too dark lol. Particularly how is the impact/dynamics between them?

Nov 17, 2017 at 6:39 PM Post #621 of 633
Enigmas are better than both the Omni and Blackwoods, specially in soundstaging and detail retrieval. I would never choose either of the ZMF over the Enigmas.

Nov 27, 2017 at 10:16 PM Post #624 of 633
So, how's sound isolation on these?

Nov 27, 2017 at 11:31 PM Post #625 of 633
Isolation's pretty good, just about as good as any other closed-end cans I've heard - enclosures are made from solid wood after all. Earpads would make some difference in allowing external sounds to leak (or not), I suppose, I don't hear anything coming thru though, using ZMF's protein pads which I also find to deliver the best musical fit for my ears.

Jul 21, 2018 at 9:18 AM Post #627 of 633
Personally I'll probably never part with mine, though some do every now and then so check the classified section occasionally. I just did that, and there's actually an offer from a couple of months ago that may not be sold yet, in the UK though, which may be the reason they're not sold.

Aug 5, 2018 at 4:19 PM Post #628 of 633
Hello,
I have become interested in the Enigma's since I have been reading the reviews. It sounds like a headphone that I would really enjoy. I know that he makes these by hand and was wondering if anyone could give me an idea of the time from ordering to delivery, or give me an idea of where I could discover that information.
Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back