LFF's Enigma (new from the maker of the Paradox)
May 30, 2016 at 7:15 PM Post #601 of 633
If anyone is looking to sell their enigma's, please pm me with details, thank you!

May 31, 2016 at 1:10 PM Post #604 of 633
They weigh exactly 500g, just shy of 18oz, so yes they fall on the heavy side but are rather comfortable to wear. I find mine to be extremely comfortable, though after I made some improvement to the suspension (an elastic pilot band which helps distribute the weight very evenly), can wear them for hours at a time without any signs/feelings of discomfort.

May 31, 2016 at 2:09 PM Post #605 of 633
  They weigh exactly 500g, just shy of 18oz, so yes they fall on the heavy side but are rather comfortable to wear. I find mine to be extremely comfortable, though after I made some improvement to the suspension (an elastic pilot band which helps distribute the weight very evenly), can wear them for hours at a time without any signs/feelings of discomfort.

This is very helpful info, thank you.  My TH900's weight 400g and my Stax SR-007A's weigh ~390g w/o the cable, but I'd guess a bit over 400g with the weight of the cable that's not laying elsewhere.  The Audeze are over 600g w/o cable.

HS

May 31, 2016 at 2:39 PM Post #606 of 633
I think Luis did an excellent job with the Enigmas at balancing the comfort and functionality, while leaving it easy for further improvements. And a marvelous job in the sound department - as we speak I have in my possession Alpha Dogs and ZMF Omnis, both highly praised and indeed very capable headphones across the board; well, Luis' Enigmas easily wins over either, in every single department. I can't stop raving about them, if you have 1K to spend on a pair of cans, imho this has to be it, period.

May 31, 2016 at 3:03 PM Post #607 of 633
They're even more comfortable and sound better with the vegan pads.

Jun 13, 2016 at 10:44 PM Post #609 of 633
I had a chance to do compare my Enigmas to the Ether C, on the same amp switching from one to the other by unplugging and plugging them a number of times (my thanks to Dan for graciously allowing me). It wasn't exactly apples to apples comparison as the Ethers had far superior cable, by far indeed, still to my ears the Enigmas are better soundwise just about across the spectrum. And the two areas that stand out were lows (no surprise here for anyone that has heard the Enigmas) and soundstage - the latter I thought will be a close call, it wasn't as the Enigmas' sound is very notably wider and deeper. So, for me the Ether C was the last contender for the best closed can, and the Enigmas retained the title unanimously.

This is not to say anything bad about the Ethers, if I never heard/owned the Enigmas they would rule supreme in my court, great headphones without any doubt. But as I told Dan, I ain't trading my Enigmas now or ever.

Also had a chance to listen to the Ether E, the electrostatics - now this is a different story, very different, I'd love to have a pair of those. Dan and Co are looking to get them to the market by year end, along with or to be followed by a e-stat amp. I'm eagerly awaiting to see the prices. Until then, I plan to sell my Primes and Omnis and acquire another pair of Enigmas. They rule in my book big time, there's really no competition left in the closed end market.

Jun 14, 2016 at 12:25 AM Post #611 of 633
I had a chance to do compare my Enigmas to the Ether C, on the same amp switching from one to the other by unplugging and plugging them a number of times (my thanks to Dan for graciously allowing me). It wasn't exactly apples to apples comparison as the Ethers had far superior cable, by far indeed, still to my ears the Enigmas are better soundwise just about across the spectrum. And the two areas that stand out were lows (no surprise here for anyone that has heard the Enigmas) and soundstage - the latter I thought will be a close call, it wasn't as the Enigmas' sound is very notably wider and deeper. So, for me the Ether C was the last contender for the best closed can, and the Enigmas retained the title unanimously.

This is not to say anything bad about the Ethers, if I never heard/owned the Enigmas they would rule supreme in my court, great headphones without any doubt. But as I told Dan, I ain't trading my Enigmas now or ever.

Also had a chance to listen to the Ether E, the electrostatics - now this is a different story, very different, I'd love to have a pair of those. Dan and Co are looking to get them to the market by year end, along with or to be followed by a e-stat amp. I'm eagerly awaiting to see the prices. Until then, I plan to sell my Primes and Omnis and acquire another pair of Enigmas. They rule in my book big time, there's really no competition left in the closed end market.

No interest in the Slants, rather than another pair of Enigmas?

Jun 14, 2016 at 1:00 AM Post #612 of 633
I'd like to listen to the Slants and hopefully the opportunity will present itself one of those days, especially put them thru the test alongside the Enigmas. Until then though, my understanding is that the Slants (as well as Paradox) somewhat lack the Enigma's prowess in the low frequency and have more linear mids. And so likely lack the overall excitement of the Enigmas too.

Few head-fiers stopped by expressing interest in them, naturally, everyone was very impressed with them and without exception noted how 'live' the music sounds thru them. Maxx134 was one of those, he spent rather long time listening to the Enigmas and we chatted about them and various other subjects quite a bit, and he was extremely impressed how they sounded which to me speaks volumes given his exposure to TOTL cans thru owning them and otherwise. He also noted how 'live' the sound is and how it 'pulls' you into the music, and we pretty much agreed that from here on there isn't much more to look forward to, it is just about end of game as far as pure enjoyment goes.
beerchug.gif

And btw, my wallet doesn't like me either (not to mention other living and breathing members of the household
blink.gif
) which is why I must let go of some stock in order to acquire new one...oh well, such is life 
rolleyes.gif
... but it is also true that I have no desire to listen to any other headphones since I got the Enigmas fully burnt in, and I want to have a pair of them at work to take the Primes' place and so there will be an Enigma everywhere I go
atsmile.gif

Jun 14, 2016 at 1:24 AM Post #613 of 633
i have one incoming, and like jozurr i will then have three of LFF's headphones- slants, enigmas and code-x. But is the Audeze vegan the most recommended for the enigma?

Jun 14, 2016 at 2:19 AM Post #614 of 633
So, for me the Ether C was the last contender for the best closed can, and the Enigmas retained the title unanimously.

Yeah, Ether C is no match for Enigma. The weak Bass was the main deal breaker. Still the best closed HP that I have heard.

Jun 14, 2016 at 4:27 AM Post #615 of 633

Felt the same way about the Ether C. The Enigmas are still the best closed cans Ive heard. The Enigmas just have something very special yes that draws you into the music and makes you want to not take the headphones off.

i have one incoming, and like jozurr i will then have three of LFF's headphones- slants, enigmas and code-x. But is the Audeze vegan the most recommended for the enigma?

Well I sold my slants after I compared them side by side with the Enigmas for a while. Except for the bass quantity and comfort, the Enigmas do everything better. Nothing stuck out and it didnt have the feeling of drawing me into the music. For me they arent even comparable. The Enigmas are just that good. The vegan pads make the enigmas more comfortable and sound more linear/less dark.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back