LFF's Enigma (new from the maker of the Paradox)
Sep 28, 2014 at 2:31 PM Post #481 of 633
Well it took me long enough but I finally got to review the Enigma. Many thanks to Luis for providing me and audio360 with his Enigma prototype. The final review will be released in the next few weeks once one of our editors have had a chance to hear them. The review will be a multiple review consisting of me and 3 or 4 other members of staff.
I had a lot of fun listening to your newborn baby Luis, well done.

Great review but I got a couple of questions, what amp were you using? What does the final design of these look like? (Anyone) can you post some picks to show there relevant size to the alpha dogs? And finally could you tell More about the next headphones from mr spreaker?

Sep 28, 2014 at 5:16 PM Post #482 of 633
Great review but I got a couple of questions, what amp were you using? What does the final design of these look like? (Anyone) can you post some picks to show there relevant size to the alpha dogs? And finally could you tell More about the next headphones from mr spreaker?

The amps I used were the Schiit Vali and the iFi iCan with the CLAS -db handling DAC duties. Other combos I tried was the Aune T1 DAC/amp as well as the iDAC. I personally liked the CLAS -db Vali combo the best although the others weren't half bad either. The final design will look exactly like the proto in the video with the exception that the wood cups will consist of different woods and varnish choices that the consumer can pick out. The Enigma is roughly a third bigger compared to the Alpha Dog. As for the next headphone Mr Speakers may have planned, who knows. Thus far its only rumor and as such I'm treating it as only rumor and mentioned it only in passing. Whether its true or not remains to be seen. Considering its only rumor I wouldn't hold my breath.

Sep 29, 2014 at 11:11 AM Post #483 of 633
The amps I used were the Schiit Vali and the iFi iCan with the CLAS -db handling DAC duties. Other combos I tried was the Aune T1 DAC/amp as well as the iDAC. I personally liked the CLAS -db Vali combo the best although the others weren't half bad either. The final design will look exactly like the proto in the video with the exception that the wood cups will consist of different woods and varnish choices that the consumer can pick out. The Enigma is roughly a third bigger compared to the Alpha Dog. As for the next headphone Mr Speakers may have planned, who knows. Thus far its only rumor and as such I'm treating it as only rumor and mentioned it only in passing. Whether its true or not remains to be seen. Considering its only rumor I wouldn't hold my breath.

Thanks for thr info man. Only ever heard the paradox with the cavalli liquid gold so I am glad to see that lower priced gear can drive it well. I want to use a vorzuge pure with it on the go hopefully I'll get to try the enigma at the San Diego meet to see the fit.

I'll treat the mention of the next dog in the pack as a rumor then. I though maybe I missed an announcement. But to speculate I'm calling it here and now it's going to be called the LONE WOLF.

Sep 29, 2014 at 12:24 PM Post #484 of 633
Thanks for thr info man. Only ever heard the paradox with the cavalli liquid gold so I am glad to see that lower priced gear can drive it well. I want to use a vorzuge pure with it on the go hopefully I'll get to try the enigma at the San Diego meet to see the fit.

I'll treat the mention of the next dog in the pack as a rumor then. I though maybe I missed an announcement. But to speculate I'm calling it here and now it's going to be called the LONE WOLF.

I listen to the Enigmas with a Vali, a Lyr 2, and a Geek Out 720. The Lyr 2 definitely has the best bass and just sounds better than the other two. While the Enigma's are not too hard to drive, they really like the extra power of the Lyr 2. The Vali is OK, but the Lyr 2 has better bass and the highs are more detailed and open. I actually prefer the Enigma's driven straight out of the GO720 than with the Vali. When compared side by side, the Vali seems a little rolled off on the top and has less body in the bass.

I will have all of these options and my Enigma's at the San Diego meet, so you can try them. I know Luis will also be at the meet, so he should have plenty of options for you to try.

Oct 1, 2014 at 3:36 AM Post #486 of 633
Well, when I start writing, I really start writing.

http://www.head-fi.org/products/the-enigma/reviews/11657

tl;dr "I like them a lot."

Thanks again to gelocks for letting me borrow these. I'm going to miss them.

Oct 1, 2014 at 2:04 PM Post #487 of 633
  Well, when I start writing, I really start writing.

http://www.head-fi.org/products/the-enigma/reviews/11657

tl;dr "I like them a lot."

Thanks again to gelocks for letting me borrow these. I'm going to miss them.

Great review!

And no problem! :)
I might actually stick with them and sell the Alpha Dogs instead! LOL
I guess I'll know for sure in my upcoming battle (Enigmas vs ZMFxVibro vs ADs...)

Oct 1, 2014 at 4:09 PM Post #489 of 633
Luis has been busy with school.
Just got into contact with him.
Suffice, he does also like one on one conversation, so I assume he is easier to reach via e-mail.

Among other things, I was curious in getting a consensus. I've already PMed a few people asking, and i've read through the threads and frequency charts, and opinions.
I was hoping to have a few people comment on why they chose the Paradox/Slant over the Enigma, or the Enigma over the Paradox/Slant - in their own words.
I realize frequency wise, the differences are obvious. I was hoping to see peoples subjective reasons, why they chose though, having tried both.

Thanks for taking the time to help mine and others decisions too.

Oct 1, 2014 at 4:27 PM Post #490 of 633
I love both. I prefer the Enigma after a long day of working. It's like a fine scotch while relaxing in a comfy chair. Definitely neutral leaning with a bit more of a fun tilt.

I prefer the Slants for critical listening. The stage seems bigger than the original paradox but, most importantly, there's a tad bid of extra bass and the extension/control is awesome. 

Gungnir > SWA Krell Klone > Slants is a seriously damn good system. I'd be happy with it as my main rig.

Oct 2, 2014 at 11:15 AM Post #491 of 633
Luis has been busy with school.
Just got into contact with him.
Suffice, he does also like one on one conversation, so I assume he is easier to reach via e-mail.

Among other things, I was curious in getting a consensus. I've already PMed a few people asking, and i've read through the threads and frequency charts, and opinions.
I was hoping to have a few people comment on why they chose the Paradox/Slant over the Enigma, or the Enigma over the Paradox/Slant - in their own words.
I realize frequency wise, the differences are obvious. I was hoping to see peoples subjective reasons, why they chose though, having tried both.

Thanks for taking the time to help mine and others decisions too.

I spent some time with Luis at the SF meet up earlier this year when he had the Paradox and Slant for demo'ing.  People like different sound signatures and my preferred sound signature has always been a more mid-centric can that handles vocals and guitar well while having enough bass response and soundstage to keep it interesting.  Paradox are very neutral, with nice crisp highs, but I felt the mids were a little recessed as a result.  Slants bump the mids up a bit with slightly rosy hue and a little bit more bass but were still not as 'fun' as I like my headphones.  

I tried these two on and pretty much told Luis at the time that they were nice but not quite what I like in headphones.  Luis was great at seeking feedback and I had a nice discussion about the two headphones on the table.  At this point, Luis pulls out the Enigma prototype he was working on at the time, saying he felt they would match my presentation preference and gave me a chance to listen to it for a bit.  He was right and I ended up pre-ordering in the following days.  

Oct 2, 2014 at 2:23 PM Post #492 of 633
Anybody know where LFF has been? I'm surprised he hasn't been around the last few days.

I'm always around. I just tend not to post unless I'm asked a direct question.

Yes, I'm busy with school and some other things soon to be announced....

That said, I am ALWAYS available for anyone interested in talking about headphones, amps, dacs, etc. I love to talk shop and ALWAYS welcome an email and I'm usually good at responding within a few hours, if not, immediately. 
normal_smile .gif

Oct 2, 2014 at 11:05 PM Post #493 of 633

I'm always around. I just tend not to post unless I'm asked a direct question.

Yes, I'm busy with school and some other things soon to be announced....

That said, I am ALWAYS available for anyone interested in talking about headphones, amps, dacs, etc. I love to talk shop and ALWAYS welcome an email and I'm usually good at responding within a few hours, if not, immediately. 
normal_smile%20.gif

in that case can you tell us what kind of driver you have in the enigma?  Don't need to be super specific just, planner or dynamic?

Oct 2, 2014 at 11:55 PM Post #494 of 633
  in that case can you tell us what kind of driver you have in the enigma?  Don't need to be super specific just, planner or dynamic?

Sure. Many reviewers have already said it. It's an isodynamic driver.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back