LFF's Enigma (new from the maker of the Paradox)
Jun 5, 2014 at 2:47 PM Post #376 of 633
Definitely love how those blue ones turned out (from previous pics!).

These past few days I've been using the Enigma's at work and although huge, they look way better than some others I have at home (i.e. Spider Moonlight Studios, JVC DX700, etc.). The comfort level has not been an issue. They feel heavy but after a while it's all good! Seems leakage control is good as well because no co-worker has told me anything yet. Isolation is excellent and on-par if not more than the Alpha Dogs.

Still liking the sound, but just like with the Audeze LCD-XC, I feel there's something missing... it might be that's too natural sounding for my taste and I "miss" Alpha Dogs warmer/thicker mids??? Not sure yet. Also, if these are planar drivers then damn they do an excellent job in the upper region (T50RP mods I've listen to do Okay but NOT LIKE THIS) but who am I to say... I have never had Hifiman's/Audeze's extensively so maybe they are supposed to sound like this and I'm just talking out of my butt!?

Anyway, completely enjoying them.
Listening to Orquesta Zodiac - "Belleza Espiritual" (Genre: Salsa) right now, not the best recording, but sounds EXCELLENT on the Enigma's!

Jul 15, 2014 at 7:50 PM Post #378 of 633
Hey guys. This is my first post ever and im a complete newbie to head fi. Im sorry if this question is stupid and not even slightly part of this post but I was wondering if these headphones are different to lff slant paradox?? Ive been reading lots of threads on the paradox and im completely sold on them being the right headphones for me seeing as im looking for a headphone that is as neutral as can be. I understand that a neutral can is very objective and very hard to define but im sold that the paradox are the ones for me. Just want to know if these are newer or better versions of the paradox or a completely new beast all together. Appreciate any feedback. Thanks

Jul 15, 2014 at 7:58 PM Post #379 of 633
Enigma's completely different. 

From page 1 of this thread:
Quote: Muppetface
 LFF says his goal for the Enigma is to have a more easy-going sound compared to the Paradox, but one that could still be considered fairly neutral like his other headphones. 

Quote: Questhate
 Apparently, they're all custom made -- custom cups, custom drivers, custom headband assembly.

If you think the Paradox are what you're looking for, my advice is go for it. It strives for a different goal than the Enigma.

Jul 15, 2014 at 8:48 PM Post #381 of 633
Hey guys. This is my first post ever and im a complete newbie to head fi. Im sorry if this question is stupid and not even slightly part of this post but I was wondering if these headphones are different to lff slant paradox?? Ive been reading lots of threads on the paradox and im completely sold on them being the right headphones for me seeing as im looking for a headphone that is as neutral as can be. I understand that a neutral can is very objective and very hard to define but im sold that the paradox are the ones for me. Just want to know if these are newer or better versions of the paradox or a completely new beast all together. Appreciate any feedback. Thanks

There are actually three models. I am not sure if the original Paradox is still a current model or if it's been replaced by the Paradox Slants. But there are:
Paradox
Paradox Slants
Enigmas

I have Luis' Slants and Enigmas on loan. They are fairly different in terms of sound. The Slants are more neutral and have more highs. The Enigmas are what Luis call "romantic". They are less bright but still have a lot of detail. They also have more, harder hitting bass. I also think the Paradox's have more isolation. Even though my preference is for more neutral or brighter sound, there is something about the Enigmas that make everything sound good.

If you are looking for neutral, I'd go with the Slants though.

Jul 16, 2014 at 2:22 AM Post #382 of 633

I have Luis' Slants and Enigmas on loan. They are fairly different in terms of sound. The Slants are more neutral and have more highs. The Enigmas are what Luis call "romantic". They are less bright but still have a lot of detail. They also have more, harder hitting bass. I also think the Paradox's have more isolation. Even though my preference is for more neutral or brighter sound, there is something about the Enigmas that make everything sound good.

Im interested in the Enigmas or Paradox as im looking for a closed headphone..

Would you categories the Enigmas as being warm? Issit muddied at all? Does the mid bass leak to the mids?

I myself prefer a neutral signature with just a tiiiiiny bit of warmth...and what are the difference between stock Paradox and the slants anyways??

Jul 16, 2014 at 11:54 AM Post #383 of 633
The Alpha Dogs are another option to look at in the closed, neutral, with a hint of warmth category.

Jul 16, 2014 at 1:10 PM Post #384 of 633
  Im interested in the Enigmas or Paradox as im looking for a closed headphone..

Would you categories the Enigmas as being warm? Issit muddied at all? Does the mid bass leak to the mids?

I myself prefer a neutral signature with just a tiiiiiny bit of warmth...and what are the difference between stock Paradox and the slants anyways??

I suppose you could call the Enigma's a little warm, but I hesitate to use that description since they certainly don't lack detail. But compared to say Stax 009 or HD800, then yes, the Enigmas are warmer for sure. Or the highs are less elevated and airy than the Stax 009. But it's hard to compare open headphones to closed. Neither are muddy at all or muffled.

Both the Enigmas and Slants have lots of detail, but they are not as open and airy compared to Stax. However, for closed headphones, they sound the least closed of the closed headphones I have tried, if that makes any sense at all. The Slants are more open and airy sounding than the Enigmas. Both headphones have incredible bass. The Enigmas a little more. The Enigmas also isolate more than the Slants.

I personally prefer either Paradox headphones over the LCD-XC.

The Alpha Dogs are another option to look at in the closed, neutral, with a hint of warmth category.

I don't have much experience with the Alpha Dogs. I have heard them briefly at a meet. They are definitely worth looking at too due to all the great reviews. Plus since they are also based on the TR50p's, they would have a similar basic signature.

Jul 19, 2014 at 1:41 AM Post #385 of 633
Why oh why did I come back to this website... 
rolleyes.gif

These are REALLY piquing my interest. I asked this a while back, but does anyone have any impressions of these compared to the Ultrasone Sig Pros? I've seen a few faces in here that I recognize from the Ultrasone threads, I'd really appreciate some perspective.

Or even better, anyone have these that lives near Chicago? I'll buy you a drink and bring my Ultrasones if someone wants to meet up.

Jul 19, 2014 at 5:37 AM Post #386 of 633
So... a couple of pics... 

[COLOR=FF4400]
[/COLOR]

And I finally got an Audeze cable... so listening to them at the moment.
Fit is a bit tight but they are comfortable (way more comfortable than the Audeze LCD-XCs, I still find the Alpha Dogs a bit more comfortable, probably due to the headband). Listening to a bit of Jon Cleary. Bass lines sound excellent to me, notes don't linger, high notes on the piano though are bothering me a bit some times, vocals are up-front and good sounding. Sounds a bit closed-in. 
I'll be doing more listening this week and comparos, especially against:

:D  

P.S. As a photographer I'm an excellent engineer!!! 

those pads are mega-thick. what's the reason for that?

Jul 20, 2014 at 10:47 PM Post #387 of 633
those pads are mega-thick. what's the reason for that?

Same pads as the Alpha Dogs (Alpha pads) and yes, they are indeed big but they are my favorite! Have used the Alpha pads on my Yammies, my SZ2000, etc. I think Luis was going to actually use some custom made ones but it seems Alpha's does the job to complete the sound signature.

Jul 20, 2014 at 10:53 PM Post #388 of 633
  Why oh why did I come back to this website... 
rolleyes.gif

These are REALLY piquing my interest. I asked this a while back, but does anyone have any impressions of these compared to the Ultrasone Sig Pros? I've seen a few faces in here that I recognize from the Ultrasone threads, I'd really appreciate some perspective.

Or even better, anyone have these that lives near Chicago? I'll buy you a drink and bring my Ultrasones if someone wants to meet up.

I haven't had the Sig Pros in quite a while, but the Ultrasones as a whole is warmer and I find the level of clarity of the Enigma's to be superior from bass to treble. Imaging in particular is definitely improved as sometimes (on some genres) the SIg Pro's to me sounded a bit congested (i.e. the Sig DJs improved on this further as well). 

Jul 20, 2014 at 10:56 PM Post #389 of 633
looks like they'd isolate well but their massive size strikes me as overkill. anyways so long as you're happy with them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back