LFF Paradox Slant and the "Starving Student"
Apr 29, 2015 at 10:35 PM Post #76 of 92

Just sold my starving students and picked up fully customized slants.

Right off the bat, holy balls. I love this out of the balanced out of my Ragnarok + Yggdrasil. Crazy bass and imaging, especially for a closed back can.

Sweet. Custom paint etc.? What's the scheme?

Starlight black. I'll bring it to the May 2 meet this weekend and let one of the intrepid photographers like Bill capture it in all of it's glory.

Apr 29, 2015 at 10:39 PM Post #77 of 92

Right off the bat, holy balls. I love this out of the balanced out of my Ragnarok + Yggdrasil. Crazy bass and imaging, especially for a closed back can.

Sweet. Custom paint etc.? What's the scheme?

Starlight black. I'll bring it to the May 2 meet this weekend and let one of the intrepid photographers like Bill capture it in all of it's glory.

Well, from the color's name alone I can derive the fact that it's slick as frack. But yeah, I need to see this. 

Apr 30, 2015 at 4:37 AM Post #78 of 92

Congrats!  I had Louis do mine hardwired with his 8 conductor OFC copper wire.  I replaced his standard 1/8 neutriK with a valabs telerium copper and used mundorf silver gold soldrer....my favourite sounding solder.   That made a noticeable improvement over stock connector.

If I was doing it again I would save up the money and have Louis wire up a pair with Neotech Silver Gold wire.  That would double the price of the phones undoubtly.

Just hoping within the next year to save up for a pair of Code X if any are out there.  I suspect for me, based on the Sound Luis is able to create amazinging correct sound, that would be as far as I would ever want to go with Headphones.     Love my slants also.  I don't think there is anything that competes for the price. 

Happy Listening,

jgwtriode

Sep 20, 2015 at 11:13 PM Post #79 of 92
I just recently got the "Starving Students." So far, they're high on my list of favorite closed headphones. Possibly the best I've ever heard (although I haven't heard much in the realm of closed headphones).

Seeing all these T50RP mod posts are really dangerous to the dexterity-lacking. They encouraged me to try and paint mine. I painted the right side first, then the left. Overall, I'm not displeased with how it turned out --

Of course, that's the left side... the right side is a bit of a disaster...

I've chipped away at the overflowed paint with a small brush and some acetone (nail polish remover), which has allowed me to get quite a bit of it, but I still can't manage to get to the paint that's right underneath the bars connecting the cups to the headphones (are they called yokes even when they aren't rods?). If anyone has any tips, I'd be glad to give it a shot...

My advice to painters unwilling to disassemble the T50RP: use a lot of masking tape. Double up. make sure to cover every little thing you don't want to get paint on.

But these are truly A+ headphones. I'm shocked how rarely they are recommended -- I guess they're a little too obscure. We should strive to change that. :)

Sep 21, 2015 at 8:45 AM Post #80 of 92
I just recently got the "Starving Students." So far, they're high on my list of favorite closed headphones. Possibly the best I've ever heard (although I haven't heard much in the realm of closed headphones).

Seeing all these T50RP mod posts are really dangerous to the dexterity-lacking. They encouraged me to try and paint mine. I painted the right side first, then the left. Overall, I'm not displeased with how it turned out --

Of course, that's the left side... the right side is a bit of a disaster...

I've chipped away at the overflowed paint with a small brush and some acetone (nail polish remover), which has allowed me to get quite a bit of it, but I still can't manage to get to the paint that's right underneath the bars connecting the cups to the headphones (are they called yokes even when they aren't rods?). If anyone has any tips, I'd be glad to give it a shot...

My advice to painters unwilling to disassemble the T50RP: use a lot of masking tape. Double up. make sure to cover every little thing you don't want to get paint on.

But these are truly A+ headphones. I'm shocked how rarely they are recommended -- I guess they're a little too obscure. We should strive to change that. :)

I assume they are brighter now.

Nov 24, 2015 at 12:12 AM Post #82 of 92
Well no doubt they still sound amazing.  I burned a whole in my suspensions band. Soldering station accident.  So I customized the duck canvass band with alligator print felt. Came out pretty well.   Glued it down with Loctite Super Glue.  They are ridiculously over the top good.  You have no doubt read some of my statements regarding them.  With full Jplay running on a I7 laptop using a usb stick to allow it to run hibernate ultrastream(windows 10).  It runs through an IDSD micro with some very wonderful cable into my Neco V3.  My Slants are hardwired with Louis' OFC copper cables and a  rhodium platted copper 3.5mm plug.  I just tweaked the suspension under my IDSD/V3 stack.  The Slants are an audio microscope in allowing me to hear what each tweak did.

Suffice to say the sound is much better than what I previously described when I was running my Ultra Fi DAC 41 and the V4 will take it further over the top. Thinking of throwing an uptone usb regen into the equation. Although I am running Larry Moore's USB filter now into the DAC...it makes a suprising difference over any cable.  I am currently running an older Ultra Fi USB cable custom built by Larry.

The Slants are really only limited by what is in front of them.  The most stunning thing now is the sheer power and drive they allow the music to convey.   This is where the IDSD just plain kicks
ass and it is a perfect combo with the Slants which already have that quality in spades.  Soundstaging becomes the room.   PRAT is so much better.  And subtley detail and harmonic structure
are to die for.

Its all just to much fun.   Louis,Louis, Louis, Luahhhhhhhhhh!  If only I swing a pair of Code X much less find some!

Happy Listening.  Listening to U2 Songs of Innoncence Plus Acoustic cuts right now.    OHHHHHHHHHH!

jgwtriode

Feb 8, 2016 at 10:45 PM Post #86 of 92
PM him...that is how I got my first pair of hardwired Slants.  Had some problems with the left channel after a couple of years.  Louis is awesome and just fininished up a new pair
of Custom Slants for me.    Should have them in the next few days!   He is always busy but I am sure if you make arrangements with him you can still get a pair.  Cost has gone up a bit
but talk to Luis...he should be able to get you a pair.  The normal wait is 3 to 4 weeks...but he sometimes has things in stock.

Happy Listening,

jgwtriode

Feb 8, 2016 at 10:50 PM Post #87 of 92
LFF is his moniker on this site.   I most recently got a hold of him at his site phone number about 3 weeks ago.  After that I just texted him as necessary!

Happy Listening,

jgwtriode

Feb 14, 2016 at 7:47 PM Post #89 of 92
You may want to try again...just got a text from him yesterday!  He has been out of town for just over a week.  Family emergency...so give it another shot!

Happy Listening

jgwtriode

Mar 25, 2016 at 3:21 PM Post #90 of 92
My favourite headphones on the planet, the Paradox Slant.

And I own and have owned quite a few different models!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back