LFF Paradox Slant and the "Starving Student"
Jul 2, 2014 at 3:18 PM Post #61 of 92
  I have some questions.

Has anyone compared the Alpha Dogs to these already? Is there anyone out there who's heard both? May I ask for a comparison? 

Also, would anyone whose heard both the Paradox Slant and the standard Paradox tell me if there is a difference in detail retrieval and transparency? I understand that standard Paradox is closer to neutral but are there any benefits to the Slant other than a change in tonality? Soundstage? Timbre?

Thank you

The main difference between Slant and Original is the bass from having heard my Slants and reading many other reviews of the original as having "anemic bass".  All I know is that the Slants are anything but anemic.  I haven't heard them back to back but the Slants are supposed to have a more 3D soundstage according to Luis and from what I can tell it does a pretty good job at this.

Aug 21, 2014 at 11:39 PM Post #63 of 92
The slants can throw an immense soundstage if its in the recording.  They are layered like crazy and can give you a very complete perspective of the recording venue. You should hear what they do with live recordings.  It is truelly amazing.  They are very much like listening to an excellent pair of planar loudspeakers in that regard.  

The bass is superb, fast, tight, extended with a very satisfying sense of near subwoofer like slam but with more speed and articulation.   

Happy listening,

jgwtriode

Sep 13, 2014 at 1:28 PM Post #64 of 92
How does one go about ordering these? On their site they only offer the Slants for $700. I'd like to know the differences between the cheaper version and those as well.

Edit: nevermind, just learned how to read or something.

Nov 21, 2014 at 4:44 PM Post #68 of 92
  I can't wait! The earliest I'll get them is the week after next. What do you use to drive yours?

I am using an NFB-28 right now, portable on a HiFi m8 with IEM mod, and even my Clip Zip.

I would say that these are very easy to drive.  The Clip's volume has to be pushed near max but honestly it sounds pretty good.  The NFB-28 is a bit overkill,  I have no need to ever go above 50% or so on low gain.  And usually I have the volume set to 1/4 on low.  Same with the m8 really, the IEM mod lowers gain across the board by 6 dB and I still never really flip the switch over to high gain.

LFF tunes them with an O2 amp so a nice cheap solution would be a use ODAC + O2 amp combo for about $200.

The really crazy thing is that the CodeX are almost just as easy to drive 

Nov 21, 2014 at 7:50 PM Post #69 of 92
  I can't wait! The earliest I'll get them is the week after next. What do you use to drive yours?

I run them with a Neco V3 updated with AD 8627's.   You can easily hear why those chips are better than the 8620's with these.   Matter of fact I could even hear the change from the standard switchcraft 1/8" to a Valabs rhodium over copper plug.  I run my computer audio with Jplay through an Ultra Fi Dac 41 soon to be replaced with a home made DDdac 1794.  I am running Zenwave formerly Dave's Cable Custom D3 RCA to 1/8" cable between the Dac and the Neco.  I have a tweaky Ultra Fi custom USB digital cable with Ultra Fi's custome digital filter in front of that.  The DDdac should crush the ultra fi.  One day I will put my Peter Daniels style Gainclones together.  But the V3  lets you hear everything
in front and well the Paradox is superlative in ways that can often be hard to describe.  They compare favourably with some of the finest loudspeaker I have ever heard.  One day I may get back into the big transducers, but with the Paradox Slants I am in no hurry.  I had some Grado Refrence Ones a few years ago.   I will not bad mouth the Grados, but let's just say it's no contest in any way.  The improvement over those is staggering.   As I keep reiterrating in this thread Luis is the Master Magician/Alchemist transmuting a good basic fostex product into a transcedent instrument of resolution and delight. Looking at them you might not see the bargain, but I assure you will hear it and value these beyond price.   Cue the celestial aria,Emma Kirkby perhaps, or Edge's chopped power 7th riff; either will transport you to heaven through these.

Nov 24, 2014 at 10:25 PM Post #70 of 92
  I run them with a Neco V3 updated with AD 8627's.   You can easily hear why those chips are better than the 8620's with these.   Matter of fact I could even hear the change from the standard switchcraft 1/8" to a Valabs rhodium over copper plug.  I run my computer audio with Jplay through an Ultra Fi Dac 41 soon to be replaced with a home made DDdac 1794.  I am running Zenwave formerly Dave's Cable Custom D3 RCA to 1/8" cable between the Dac and the Neco.  I have a tweaky Ultra Fi custom USB digital cable with Ultra Fi's custome digital filter in front of that.  The DDdac should crush the ultra fi.  One day I will put my Peter Daniels style Gainclones together.  But the V3  lets you hear everything
in front and well the Paradox is superlative in ways that can often be hard to describe.  They compare favourably with some of the finest loudspeaker I have ever heard.  One day I may get back into the big transducers, but with the Paradox Slants I am in no hurry.  I had some Grado Refrence Ones a few years ago.   I will not bad mouth the Grados, but let's just say it's no contest in any way.  The improvement over those is staggering.   As I keep reiterrating in this thread Luis is the Master Magician/Alchemist transmuting a good basic fostex product into a transcedent instrument of resolution and delight. Looking at them you might not see the bargain, but I assure you will hear it and value these beyond price.   Cue the celestial aria,Emma Kirkby perhaps, or Edge's chopped power 7th riff; either will transport you to heaven through these.

It's claims like the bolded that have me very stoked. Next week at the earliest. 

Nov 25, 2014 at 12:58 AM Post #71 of 92
  It's claims like the bolded that have me very stoked. Next week at the earliest. 

Indeed  I too read many quotes and took a very minor leap of faith and of course spoke with the man Mr. Flysweep and others in the community.

It was some of the comments comparing them with the Audeze phones and even the Fostex THX 900's that really convinced me to purchase them.

I would have really liked to go with Silver hardwired cables but.  The 7 nines copper wire Louis has is excellent, it is an eight wire bundle and I had him hardwire
it. I prefer no connectors whenever possible.   In the future I may send him some 7/9's silver gold custom Neotech wire and have him build another pair.  What will
blow you away is how good they sound  even plugged into a smartphone.  My Samsung note 3 plays them at a decent level and you can still hear the magic
even with those.

The better your equipment the more these will improve and yet they sound good even with basic stuff.    The balance to me is ideal.  A near perfect neutral slightly warm midrange with sweet open highs, perhaps subtley rolled of, but airy, detailed and ambient.  Bass with Slam, power and authority, surprisingly there is info down to nearly 20 Hz and these will actually resonate your
chest.  Never heard a phone before that will do that.  When watching movies I bump the bass eq switch on my Neco and its much like a subwoofer.  It has very natural 6 db eq that is amazingly
well integrated added weight power and a bit of extension below 60 hz without overemphasizing the midbass...very linear and amazing for a bit of  enhancement without overemphasis.

Soundstage can be layered and immense based on the recording.  You can hear multitracked stuff totally revealed.   My Duran Duran stuff is very much that way.  Unnatural but fun you can hear
seperate elements existing in their own space and spliced together.  Sounds like you have rear channels in the mix.

You really get far more from these then what Luis charges.   I am so satisfied I don't bother listening to music on anything else anymore, other than my car radio on the way to work or the gym.

I have pretty much chucked my portable setup.   Buy these and forget about transducers for a while... play with your connectors and ancillary cables and be stunned at what your equipment will do
through these with more info passing through the wire.  Interconnect, connector and power cables upgrades will blow your mind/ear!

Very happy listening,

jgwtriode

Dec 22, 2014 at 1:45 PM Post #72 of 92

Just arrived. Wow. It's like I'm hearing stuff that's happening next door: "Like a Lame Man Stepping" from Rain Dog's Two Words.

Dec 28, 2014 at 1:50 AM Post #73 of 92

Just arrived. Wow. It's like I'm hearing stuff that's happening next door: "Like a Lame Man Stepping" from Rain Dog's Two Words.

Indeed!     I just built and adaptor for my RCA interconnect to temporarily run my Zenwave/Dave's Cable DD3 between my computer and my Neco V3!   My Dac blew up so I am just running straight off sound card into my Neco.   It's temporarily built as an RCA to 3.5mm to go into the Neco.  Will later convert it when I get my gainclones done.   Anyway it's a silver gold occ hybrid and has Vampire Shadow RCA's into a Valabs Rhodium copper 3.5.  Took my Furutech 901 R  RCA female and directly soldered them to another Valabs to make an adapter out of sound card.  Silver Gold Solder of course...LOL!   I'm obsessive!   Anyway sounded a bit hard and a touch strident for a few hours after plugging it in.  Connectors had been run and burned in previously.  Only thing fresh was the solder joint.   Ran a couple of hours of burn in and demag.  The difference was quite apparent.    Yeah the slants are that revealing...amazing!   They clearly allow you to hear a solder joint.  Damn Luis...your a magician!

Happy Listening!

Apr 29, 2015 at 9:44 PM Post #74 of 92
Just sold my starving students and picked up fully customized slants.

Right off the bat, holy balls. I love this out of the balanced out of my Ragnarok + Yggdrasil. Crazy bass and imaging, especially for a closed back can.

Apr 29, 2015 at 10:33 PM Post #75 of 92
Just sold my starving students and picked up fully customized slants.

Right off the bat, holy balls. I love this out of the balanced out of my Ragnarok + Yggdrasil. Crazy bass and imaging, especially for a closed back can.

Sweet. Custom paint etc.? What's the scheme?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back