Letter to Little Dot -- LDII+ owners, PLEASE read
Nov 9, 2006 at 2:47 AM Post #121 of 220
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitz
Looks like flux from soldering to me.

If that's flux, my question is why the flux only show up at the 4P1S sockets? while other solder joints seemed to be in pristine conditions?

Nov 9, 2006 at 3:03 AM Post #122 of 220
Quote:

Originally Posted by systema
If that's flux, my question is why the flux only show up at the 4P1S sockets? while other solder joints seemed to be in pristine conditions?

Besides the fact that it looks exactly like flux, they must've needed to use more heat and solder to tack down the loctal sockets. I don't think they left some other substance all over the solder joints, since the metal itself isn't going to turn a translucent amber colour even if the socket pins were arcing (which it's the insides of the tubes that're arcing, not the socket pins).
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 9, 2006 at 3:17 AM Post #123 of 220
Quote:

Besides the fact that it looks exactly like flux, they must've needed to use more heat and solder to tack down the loctal sockets. I don't think they left some other substance all over the solder joints, since the metal itself isn't going to turn a translucent amber colour even if the socket pins were arcing (which it's the insides of the tubes that're arcing, not the socket pins).
smily_headphones1.gif

ummm... just wondering, do you think a socket pin arcing would make the pre-existed dried flux (that wasn't burnt) layer to turn into something that resembles the amble colored layer or ever black colored stuff in the photoes? Coz I dun recall seeing that much of flux when I first open up my amp to adjust the gain jumpers.

Nov 9, 2006 at 3:24 AM Post #124 of 220
Quote:

ummm... Do you think a socket pin arcing would make the dried flux (that wasn't burnt) layer to turn into something that resembles the amble colored layer or ever black colored stuff in the photoes? Coz I dun recall seeing that much of flux when I first open up my amp to adjust the gain jumpers.

You had no reason to pay attention to it when adjusting the jumpers. I've had smaller amounts of flux get more burnt looking than that while still soldering particularly troublesome joints. And you do realize that the flux looks that amber colour to begin with, right?

Nov 9, 2006 at 3:25 AM Post #125 of 220
Quote:

You had no reason to pay attention to it when adjusting the jumpers. I've had smaller amounts of flux get more burnt looking than that while still soldering particularly troublesome joints.

Well, that's quite true as well, anywayz, just thought that may be helpful
eggosmile.gif

Nov 9, 2006 at 3:33 AM Post #126 of 220
Quote:

Well, that's quite true as well, anywayz, just thought that may be helpful
eggosmile.gif

Sorry if I seemed a little blunt. I've been engaged in a political discussion with some people. My main point is that all the LD2+ owners need to try to avoid jumping too soon at things like that, but rather focus on the things that have been determined to be the actual problem. You'd probably rather have some wiseass on Head-Fi tell you it's flux than for Little Dot to tell you such while shrugging off your "complaint".
wink.gif

Nov 9, 2006 at 3:38 AM Post #127 of 220
Quote:

Sorry if I seemed a little blunt. I've been engaged in a political discussion with some people. My main point is that all the LD2+ owners need to try to avoid jumping too soon at things like that, but rather focus on the things that have been determined to be the actual problem. You'd probably rather have some wiseass on Head-Fi tell you it's flux than for Little Dot to tell you such while shrugging off your "complaint".
wink.gif

True as well. When I first saw the marks there at the 4P1S socket, I thought it may have something to do with the issues that we are having. Sigh, just wanna have an amp that's working.

Nov 9, 2006 at 3:41 AM Post #128 of 220
Quote:

True as well. When I first saw the marks there at the 4P1S socket, I thought it may have something to do with the issues that we are having. Sigh, just wanna have an amp that's working.

I feel your pain. Regardless of my own personal opinions about the amp, I think all of the LD2+ owners deserve a fully functional and working amp, not a game of Russian roulette every time you turn it on.
frown.gif

Nov 9, 2006 at 9:55 AM Post #129 of 220
Hi guys, i'm Han from Malaysia and i bought my LD2+ on 6th October this year. Pairing it with my Grado SR80 and my EMU0404 as source. I have this "blue spark at the left power tube" problem since the 2nd week of my purchase. Initially i'm just lazy to disconnect my headphones from the LD2+ when i power up the amp every time, and i can see small blue spark at the left power tube and some minor pops from my headphones.

But it made me sh1t in my pants this Monday. That morning as usual, i turned on my amp with the Grado still connected, and i saw a bright blue spark from the left power tube, and my Grado gives out a loud pop (sounded like someone fired a bullet)! I played some songs on my Grado and it sounds "ok". But i do notice there's a change in my Grado's sound...

After that incident i notice my Grado sounded better. Yes, NO joke. I bought my Grado a day after i got my LD2+, and has been listening to this setup 10 hours daily. The bass impact is stronger, and highs sounded clearer too. Ever since that awful incident i trained myself to disconnect my headphones from the LD2+ every time i finish using them. No more loud pops, but i still see my left power tube gives out faint blue sparks every time i power it on.

I have another pair of spare tubes but i didn't try them on my LD2+. What i do is i just perform a left-right swap on the power tubes, and i didn't see any blue sparks anymore (since this Wednesday, today is Thursday in Malaysia).

Quote:

yrh0413
-- left power tube gives out faint blue spark on power up, minor pops heard. Bright blue spark follow with loud pop last Monday.
++ performed left-right swap on both power tubes, and disconnect headphones after i finish using them.

Nov 9, 2006 at 10:13 AM Post #131 of 220
Quote:

Originally Posted by yrh0413
Hi guys, i'm Han from Malaysia and i bought my LD2+ on 6th October this year. Pairing it with my Grado SR80 and my EMU0404 as source. I have this "blue spark at the left power tube" problem since the 2nd week of my purchase. Initially i'm just lazy to disconnect my headphones from the LD2+ when i power up the amp every time, and i can see small blue spark at the left power tube and some minor pops from my headphones.

But it made me sh1t in my pants this Monday. That morning as usual, i turned on my amp with the Grado still connected, and i saw a bright blue spark from the left power tube, and my Grado gives out a loud pop (sounded like someone fired a bullet)! I played some songs on my Grado and it sounds "ok". But i do notice there's a change in my Grado's sound...

After that incident i notice my Grado sounded better. Yes, NO joke. I bought my Grado a day after i got my LD2+, and has been listening to this setup 10 hours daily. The bass impact is stronger, and highs sounded clearer too. Ever since that awful incident i trained myself to disconnect my headphones from the LD2+ every time i finish using them. No more loud pops, but i still see my left power tube gives out faint blue sparks every time i power it on.

The sparks gave your Grado an accelerated burn-in...
rs1smile.gif
tongue.gif
..... No, I'm just joking. I don't know what the sparks did to your Grado, but it does not look very good to me. It can change your Grado sound the other way, or put your Grado to retirement for good.

Should I try this on my RS-1 ?
rs1smile.gif
=>
blink.gif

Nov 9, 2006 at 12:06 PM Post #132 of 220
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3x331m
http://cgi.ebay.com/Little-dot-2-Tub...QQcmdZViewItem
http://cgi.ebay.com/Little-dot-3-Tub...QQcmdZViewItem

... Via Canada.

Is this seller associated with the LD team? Another "jasmine_chine" to the mix ?

It's getting very interesting...
wink.gif

Interesting, I'm looking at getting one before long so am paying attention to this thread to see if the problems with the LD2+ are resolved with the ++. One point, on the page it says it can be used as a preamp but does not list RCA out in the outputs like the LD2+ had. Is that seller real?

Nov 9, 2006 at 4:38 PM Post #133 of 220
Wrote something up after the death of my can yesterday, RIP my DJ1.

L-Two Plus : Dedicated to Systema's Ultrazone DJ1
(Adapted from "Rocket Man")

It killed my phones last night unwarned
Time was about ten pm
And my phone was screaming
"I'm dead" at me.....

I saw old tubes popped, I got new tubes
It does no good, you see
It kept on arc and pop

And I think it's gonna take a lot of time
'Till they brings the fix that I need to find
That head amp does not worth a pile of slime (oh no no noooooooo)
I own a L-two plus......

L-two plus....burning up the headphones here and there

I've tried so many things, they all have failed
It's sad it can't be used
And there's noone else
Has a clue....

And all the circuit I don't understand
It's just a kludge to make it work...
A L-two plus, L-two plus.....

And I think it's gonna take a long long time
I own a L-two plus......

And I think it's gonna take a long long time (Repeat)

PS: ok, this is just something for fun, dun take it too seriously
eggosmile.gif

Nov 9, 2006 at 4:38 PM Post #134 of 220
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3x331m
http://cgi.ebay.com/Little-dot-3-Tub...QQcmdZViewItem

... Via Canada.

Is this seller associated with the LD team? Another "jasmine_chine" to the mix ?

It's getting very interesting...
wink.gif

That seller is not from LD, unless he is new. And only $10 more than the +. That is interesting. I thought the US price of the ++ was going to be $199. I'm very curious what the actual price of the ++ will be from official LD sellers. I don't see the $199 holding up if others are selling it for $149. I am still trying to work out a solution with LD for my +. This adds a new wrinkle to the discussion.

Nov 9, 2006 at 4:44 PM Post #135 of 220
Quote:

Wrote something up after the death of my can yesterday, RIP my DJ1.

L-Two Plus : Dedicated to Systema's Ultrazone DJ1
(Adapted from "Rocket Man")

It killed my phones last night unwarned
Time was about ten pm
And my phone was screaming
"I'm dead" at me.....

I saw old tubes popped, I got new tubes
It does no good, you see
It kept on arc and pop

I own a L-two plus......

I've tried so many things, they all have failed
It's sad it can't be used
And there's noone else
Has a clue....

And all the circuit I don't understand
It's just a kludge to make it work...
A L-two plus, L-two plus.....

And I think it's gonna take a long long time
I own a L-two plus......

And I think it's gonna take a long long time (Repeat)

PS: ok, this is just something for fun, dun take it too seriously
eggosmile.gif

Im seriously going to write the music for this and sing it tonight in front of my webcam. Ill post it on youtube when im done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back