LETSHUOER S12 - Next big planar? (Impressions & Discussion)
Mar 13, 2024 at 6:13 PM Post #1,756 of 1,901
Pretty sure that just makes them an original S12.
You may be right and I`m not sure if I actually still like it better. I got a Hiby R5 ii today and compared to the Hip-Dac, I´m not too sure if I like the sound in this config.

The Hip-Dac with 7.3 is rather warm, didn`t realize how much though until I listened to the first track on the Hiby. The sound is overly bright (which gets a lot better when activating Class A mode), just put the foams in and its definitely more pleasing to my ears.

Mar 14, 2024 at 7:02 AM Post #1,758 of 1,901
That's what I said few pages ago - they sound very different depending on the source - on some there is too much bass, on others too much treble...
If you pair them well, there is no need for modding.
Its honestly astounding how much source matters with these. And the Hiby with Class-A engaged pairs rather well I gotta say. The step up from my phone (Redmi Note 8 Pro) to either Hip-Dac or Hiby R5 ii is pretty big!

But overall I enjoy them more on the Hiby, better defined bass that seems to reach a bit deeper. Also I can listen at louder volumes with the Hiby before it starts to hurt my ears, which makes the S12 sound more to my liking as the added power seems to give them a fuller sound in return :)

Mar 14, 2024 at 3:47 PM Post #1,759 of 1,901
I´m falling in love with the S12 Pros all over again thanks to the Hiby :) So much closer to the signature I am looking for. Apart from the dac, I think the better amplification plays a huge role. I can drive them so much harder now and they give a nice full sound (still a bit track dependent but at least the unnatural timbre is almost gone).

I read a lot of conflicting options on how much amping these matters but after extensively testing them with Class-A on/off its amazing how well they respond to it. As soon as you kick that mode on you feel the added weight, tonality also shifts to a more neutral/organic sig with nice bass slam on the right tracks. Honestly the difference in bass quality/quantity is the most noticeable between the two modes.

So for whomever this maybe useful: Hiby R5 ii + S12 Pro is a very nice paring!

Mar 14, 2024 at 11:32 PM Post #1,760 of 1,901
@LetShuoer Audio
@LETSHUOER Support

There are problems with the white silicone tips of LetShuoer S12 Pro that come in the kit

I would like to ask LetShuoer engineers to improve a few things in future revisions of their iconic S12 Pro. Inside the legs of the supplied white silicone tips, please make a special cutout for a faint protrusion on the sound tube 🙏 The fact is that I have two copies of S12 Pro, but in both, after several months of use, the white silicone tips no longer adhere well to the sound tubes. It’s just that over time, being constantly put on the sound tubes, the legs of the ear tips stretch and weaken, after which it is very difficult to stay on the sound tubes. This leads to the fact that these included tips often remain in my ears after I remove the in-ear headphones from my ears. Moreover, this is very strange, stupid and illogical, because the black silicone tips take this nuance into account (there is a special cutout inside the leg for a faint protrusion on the sound tube).

I really like the sound of the S12 Pro with the white silicone tips, which should be labeled “Balanced ear tips”. I've experimented with other 3rd party silicone tips and have not been happy with the way they change the sound. I don’t want to continue experimenting and spend my money on this, buying new tips, which in a few months will again stay extremely poorly on the sound tubes and remain in my ears after I remove the S12 Pro. I think this special cutout would help to better hold the tips on the sound tubes.

My Beyerdynamic Soul Byrd in-ears do not have this problem, because all included silicone tips have this special cutout for the protrusion on the sound tube. I also had Sennheiser IE 300 and they also did not have this problem, because in the legs of both the silicone tips and the memory foam tips there were special cutouts for the protrusions on the sound tubes.

Thank you in advance!

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2024 at 8:15 AM Post #1,762 of 1,901
I got my S12 Pro about 6 months ago, and after a period of immense buyer's remorse, I finally found the perfect tips that give me perfect resonance and sibilance free listening.

Here's what I discovered along the way:

Final Audio Type E: A slight drop in treble but it caused immense resonance in my ear making sibilance appear in everything, even when pushed as far as it could go into my ear canal.

JVC Spiral Dot: It solved the issue of resonance but sibilance was unbearable. I could swear it boosted the treble.

Fiio vocal tips: It resolved the issue of sibilance for the most part, but sub-bass was severely compromised. A lot of the bass sounded like a rubber band.

Spinfit CP100 Plus: It tamed the treble to a really nice level, but sibilance caused by resonance was an issue.

Stock black tips: Even when pushed far down, resonance was still present and very distracting.

Spinfit CP145: Nice open sound but still destroyed my ears with sibilance.

Truthear Hexa stock white tips: They even make the Hexa sound sibilant. The S12 Pro had no chance.

HiFiMan double flange: Tamed sibilance somewhat but the bass sounded hollow and very, very wrong.

So, what are the best tips?
Well, YMMV, but the stock white tips did the trick for me. It stopped resonance and sibilance. You just gotta insert them deep.
I really wish I could buy more of them somewhere as I'm really scared now that they might get lost or damaged.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2024 at 9:36 AM Post #1,763 of 1,901
S12 pro is fantastic for me in hip dac 3 4.4mm. I imagine there's unit variation but it can't be that much. I don't even EQ and I'm super happy with them.
I got the first edition of the Hip-Dac and with GTO-Firmware they sound too thin/bright for me, so I was using 7.3 (C&C) lately. That gave them a nice organic sound but the pressure buildup in my ears made it very uncomfortable when listening to louder volumes. Depending on the track and X-Bass on/off, they sounded nice on some tracks but I was wanting more on others

Don`t get me wrong though, I like the Hip-Dac and mainly bought the Hiby for on the go. But the fact that I can use the Hiby as usb-dac with just one cable makes for a much cleaner setup when using at home

With the Hiby (Only in Class-A though) I can go way louder (somehow it doesen`t feel louder because the balance is better)/don`t feel the need to EQ anything. They sound nicely balanced and the bass has more slam and impact for me. Which Firmware are you using?

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2024 at 12:33 PM Post #1,764 of 1,901
I got the first edition of the Hip-Dac and with GTO-Firmware they sound too thin/bright for me, so I was using 7.3 (C&C) lately. That gave them a nice organic sound but the pressure buildup in my ears made it very uncomfortable when listening to louder volumes. Depending on the track and X-Bass on/off, they sounded nice on some tracks but I was wanting more on others

Don`t get me wrong though, I like the Hip-Dac and mainly bought the Hiby for on the go. But the fact that I can use the Hiby as usb-dac with just one cable makes for a much cleaner setup when using at home

With the Hiby (Only in Class-A though) I can go way louder (somehow it doesen`t feel louder because the balance is better)/don`t feel the need to EQ anything. They sound nicely balanced and the bass has more slam and impact for me. Which Firmware are you using?
I wasn't aware there was different or new firmware for hip dac 3, I wouldn't want to change anything though. Sounds way better than I expected as is.

Mar 15, 2024 at 12:57 PM Post #1,765 of 1,901
I wasn't aware there was different or new firmware for hip dac 3, I wouldn't want to change anything though. Sounds way better than I expected as is.
Probably there is/should be a difference in sound between Hip-Dac 1st gen and 3rd gen. Like I said, the Hip-Dac doesen`t sound bad at all. Its just not the best combination for me with the S12 Pro :)

Mar 16, 2024 at 12:27 PM Post #1,767 of 1,901
I got my S12 Pro about 6 months ago, and after a period of immense buyer's remorse, I finally found the perfect tips that give me perfect resonance and sibilance free listening.

Here's what I discovered along the way:

Final Audio Type E: A slight drop in treble but it caused immense resonance in my ear making sibilance appear in everything, even when pushed as far as it could go into my ear canal.

JVC Spiral Dot: It solved the issue of resonance but sibilance was unbearable. I could swear it boosted the treble.

Fiio vocal tips: It resolved the issue of sibilance for the most part, but sub-bass was severely compromised. A lot of the bass sounded like a rubber band.

Spinfit CP100 Plus: It tamed the treble to a really nice level, but sibilance caused by resonance was an issue.

Stock black tips: Even when pushed far down, resonance was still present and very distracting.

Spinfit CP145: Nice open sound but still destroyed my ears with sibilance.

Truthear Hexa stock white tips: They even make the Hexa sound sibilant. The S12 Pro had no chance.

HiFiMan double flange: Tamed sibilance somewhat but the bass sounded hollow and very, very wrong.

So, what are the best tips?
Well, YMMV, but the stock white tips did the trick for me. It stopped resonance and sibilance. You just gotta insert them deep.
I really wish I could buy more of them somewhere as I'm really scared now that they might get lost or damaged.
Tip rolling is such a personal thing. To make things even more complicated, there is a trade off between comfort and sound also. I have some tips that allow me to sleep or nap with the S12 in place. But the sound is not perfect; so I definitely am trading comfort for the ultimate fidelity. So it goes.

Mar 16, 2024 at 9:52 PM Post #1,768 of 1,901
In less than 2 years, one side of my S12 is quieter than the other, or one side loosing some brightness(treble?)....so the music doesn't appear to be centered anymore. Anyone else having same issue? or possibly know how to fix this? :/

Mar 16, 2024 at 10:15 PM Post #1,769 of 1,901
In less than 2 years, one side of my S12 is quieter than the other, or one side loosing some brightness(treble?)....so the music doesn't appear to be centered anymore. Anyone else having same issue? or possibly know how to fix this? :/

First thing to check would be earwax or condensation.

Wax should be immediately obvious, clean it out if it is there.

If you use them frequently and they don’t sit for a period without use they might have condensation that doesn’t get a chance to dry. Perhaps sit them in a warm dry place for a few days to dry them out if they have a condensation buildup.

Otherwise it could be a driver problem in which case you probably need to buy a new set.

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2024 at 11:10 PM Post #1,770 of 1,901
First thing to check would be earwax or condensation.

Wax should be immediately obvious, clean it out if it is there.

I you use them frequently and they don’t sit for a period without use they might have condensation that doesn’t get a chance to dry. Perhaps sit them in a warm dry place for a few days to dry them out if they have a condensation buildup.

Otherwise it could be a driver problem in which case you probably need to buy a new set.

Hey thanks for quick reply! I've cleaned wax with alcohol wipe(not much wax tho), gonna try sit it in warm dry place, facing up without the silicone tip on. hopefully that will speed it up clearing the condensation.

Also contacted Letshuoer support, gonna be interesting to see how well they communicate and respond, as previously I have poor experience with other chi-fi company.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back