LETSHUOER S12 - Next big planar? (Impressions & Discussion)
Aug 24, 2023 at 9:50 AM Post #1,576 of 1,901
I have the kz pro x ( most fun most sub bass ) , kz zar ( more refined nice thick bass more controlled ) and the s12 pro( more techincals more monitor more bright- much less bass then both kzs')

no matter if I pair them with ibasso 300max or sony 1zm2 ( both warm and polite ) they will remain the brighters of the 3 , i dont find them particularly fun too

Aug 24, 2023 at 10:12 AM Post #1,577 of 1,901
After Reading your comment i am hyped, i am a beginner i start my journey with kz zsn pro x .... then brought Fiio ka3 dongle dac ... and now i brought letshuoer s12 pro. It does sounds great but many a time it gets too bright i am planning to buy new dac i was thinking about ibasso DC04 pro but now i think hip dac 2 will be a better option... please provide me with your suggestion .

I have a hip-dac OG. The hip-dacs are a more rounded sound with a forgiving nature. If you download and use the HiBy music app from your phone through your FiiO dongle, the HiBy app has MSEB equalisation. That is a totally different method of equalising and extremely effective for taking the glare out of the upper mids in a very clever way, once you get used to it. MSEB also comes standard system wide on HiBy DAPs but also through the HiBy app. That might be worth testing out with your FiiO dongle before you move on.

Aug 31, 2023 at 1:49 AM Post #1,578 of 1,901
I am very pleased with the price/performance of this iem.

I swap the cables to our local builder that is trusted, with spc 8 strand setup and suddenly they sound amazing. The main improvement is Smoother but more detail treble.

Now it is time for me to upgrade. Can someone recommend something in $300 range, with almost the same fit as s12, and have 0.78mm connector too? I dont mind the driver setup as long as they are good.

Sep 4, 2023 at 4:23 PM Post #1,579 of 1,901
I am very pleased with the price/performance of this iem.

I swap the cables to our local builder that is trusted, with spc 8 strand setup and suddenly they sound amazing. The main improvement is Smoother but more detail treble.

Now it is time for me to upgrade. Can someone recommend something in $300 range, with almost the same fit as s12, and have 0.78mm connector too? I dont mind the driver setup as long as they are good.

Based on my experience with the S12 and a few other sets that cost a lot more I would suggest that the S12 punch well above their price point and just because another set is a little more expensive will not mean it is by default better and may in fact not be to your taste at all.

I wasted a bunch of money on different sets that I didn't like, sets that were twice and four times the cost of the S12.

If you like the general sound signature of the S12 I would recommend that you look at the AuR Audio Neon Pro. Save your money, miss out the incremental steps up the price ladder and spend that money on one really good set.

I have the Neon Pro and to my ear it is a similar sound to the S12 but is somehow more "complete" and "refined/polished" sounding overall. They are not cheap but like I said, if you enjoy the S12 and avoid the temptation to buy several sets trying to incrementally upgrade the Neon Pro would probably work out more cost effective overall.

https://www.auraudio.store/product-page/soundbeam-erd-3086

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2023 at 11:25 AM Post #1,580 of 1,901
I have been using the s12 since the beginning of the year. S12 is an iem that has technical performance of much higher priced iems. Notes are so sharp and the decay is pretty fast. Transient response is exemplary. Truly a technical champion. Ortho driver shows its prowess through this iem. The downside to this is poor tone and timbre. Midrange is pretty thin and the treble too bright. Bass digs deep and is decent. Unfortunately, It just doesn't sound natural to my ears. I still enjoy its stellar technical performance though. All in all, a decent iem that can compete with iems that cost 2 to 3x its price if you don't mind its bright v shaped signature.

Sep 12, 2023 at 1:06 PM Post #1,581 of 1,901
I have been using the s12 since the beginning of the year. S12 is an iem that has technical performance of much higher priced iems. Notes are so sharp and the decay is pretty fast. Transient response is exemplary. Truly a technical champion. Ortho driver shows its prowess through this iem. The downside to this is poor tone and timbre. Midrange is pretty thin and the treble too bright. Bass digs deep and is decent. Unfortunately, It just doesn't sound natural to my ears. I still enjoy its stellar technical performance though. All in all, a decent iem that can compete with iems that cost 2 to 3x its price if you don't mind its bright v shaped signature.

coudln't go after 1hr with them (already burned in - if it counts) , for same reasons, bright but v shaped and steryle , uneven timbral accuracy. Some techincals were admittedly quite good but i dont listen technicals before music.. so.. quite an instant looser (for me) even compared to similar range and price hybrid iem

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2023 at 3:30 PM Post #1,582 of 1,901
coudln't go after 1hr with them (already burned in - if it counts) , for same reasons, bright but v shaped and steryle , uneven timbral accuracy. Some techincals were admittedly quite good but i dont listen technicals before music.. so.. quite an instant looser (for me) even compared to similar range and price hybrid iem
It is not that bad. I can enjoy some music on them. Edm sounds good. If you want more midrange and tamed treble, then use the foam tips.

Sep 12, 2023 at 4:09 PM Post #1,583 of 1,901
Tune them the way u want with wavelet, any iem setting u can load

Sep 13, 2023 at 3:03 AM Post #1,584 of 1,901
I do believe that S12pro is better than S12... judging by the graphs it's not as bright and has a bit better timbre.
It's true that its midrange is a bit thinn. In my opinion its main flaw is the planar haze that becomes apparent when things get busy ,it starts swamping the imaging but that's kind of common for the current planar iem's .

The S12 pro really was my first "wow" iem. For me it's a keeper because it gives me a unique listening experience with classical-orchestral music . No headphone of mine provides such heaviness, oomph to the orchestra's big notes... it's as if a wall of sound hits me for each of those notes.Amazing macro dynamics .

My Fiio FH7 is a clearly superior v shape iem. It has better clarity (resolution is about the same), better imaging/ separation, better midrange.The soundstage is similar . For me a FH7/FH7s would be a good upgrade for those who like the S12pro.

Sep 13, 2023 at 4:55 PM Post #1,585 of 1,901
I do believe that S12pro is better than S12... judging by the graphs it's not as bright and has a bit better timbre.
It's true that its midrange is a bit thinn. In my opinion its main flaw is the planar haze that becomes apparent when things get busy ,it starts swamping the imaging but that's kind of common for the current planar iem's .

The S12 pro really was my first "wow" iem. For me it's a keeper because it gives me a unique listening experience with classical-orchestral music . No headphone of mine provides such heaviness, oomph to the orchestra's big notes... it's as if a wall of sound hits me for each of those notes.Amazing macro dynamics .

My Fiio FH7 is a clearly superior v shape iem. It has better clarity (resolution is about the same), better imaging/ separation, better midrange.The soundstage is similar . For me a FH7/FH7s would be a good upgrade for those who like the S12pro.

Judging by my ears the S12 Pro is exactly the same as the S12 OG.

Sep 13, 2023 at 5:45 PM Post #1,586 of 1,901
Judging by my ears the S12 Pro is exactly the same as the S12 OG.
I couldn't find a graph comparing them together. But these 2 are revealing even though the target curve is different.
1000022282.png

1000022283.png

Sep 14, 2023 at 12:59 AM Post #1,589 of 1,901
I’m telling you guys. I have both. There is no difference in how they sound. None.
The Z12/S12 Pro has a bass shelf and smoother treble response – the treble changes improves high frequency info and reduces the pain points I feel in high notes and harmonics. I have observed unit variation in the half dozen S12/Z12/S12P that I own (for experimentation!). There is literally physical changes to the IEM, tuning foam in the bore, etc. that mean it will be different. I am sure that you don't hear a difference and it could be just your HRTF or ear canals that minimize the differences.

Sep 14, 2023 at 3:32 AM Post #1,590 of 1,901
The Z12/S12 Pro has a bass shelf and smoother treble response – the treble changes improves high frequency info and reduces the pain points I feel in high notes and harmonics. I have observed unit variation in the half dozen S12/Z12/S12P that I own (for experimentation!). There is literally physical changes to the IEM, tuning foam in the bore, etc. that mean it will be different. I am sure that you don't hear a difference and it could be just your HRTF or ear canals that minimize the differences.

I can’t speak to the Z12. But the Pro sounds the same as the OG. I’m far from the only one who has observed this first hand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back