LETSHUOER S12 - Next big planar? (Impressions & Discussion)
Jun 15, 2022 at 1:13 PM Post #961 of 1,896
Yes, If we compare our ears to a different hall, every halls are different, that explains why there are sound engineers following a band on tour or recording an album.
And i agree that eartips can make a lot of differences!
And it is good to listen an iem, that you paied, from a "hum..." to a " wow!".

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2022 at 7:50 AM Post #962 of 1,896
EQ wouldn’t let me assess neither the soundstage, nor the texture, depth, level of detail retrieval, and many other characteristics. Also, I don’t like EQing my gear.
this is what i also used to believe as it made a lot of sense until i listened to the flac recording of 5 headphones (from $34 to $1300) tuned to the same target and i could not hear any difference, but you may hear a difference as you may have more trained ear , please do the test if you are curious and come back to share your impression thanks

Jun 17, 2022 at 8:38 AM Post #963 of 1,896
this is what i also used to believe as it made a lot of sense until i listened to the flac recording of 5 headphones (from $34 to $1300) tuned to the same target and i could not hear any difference, but you may hear a difference as you may have more trained ear , please do the test if you are curious and come back to share your impression thanks

Its essentially the law of diminishing returns. Spending $1300 does not buy you a Headphone twice as good as a $750 one for example.

This along with folks around here won't even look at a DAC or AMP simply because its not balanced and doesn't output 5W into a 32 ohm 95-100 db/mw headphone are missing out, we know better. :)

Jun 18, 2022 at 1:01 PM Post #967 of 1,896
Well, good news on my pair that fell apart. I was able to solder the left ear's wire back together and now they're perfectly functional again. Just waiting on the cement glue to come so I can seal the left and right better than they came and I'll have an extra pair thanks to Letshuoer replacing this defective pair without any fuss. In fact, checking the tracking it just updated today and the new pair is in New York.

One thing I will say is that if yours do fall apart be VERY careful when you pull them out of your ear (mine literally came apart as I was pulling it out of my ears so I was stuck with half in my ear and half hanging out of it lol) because it's very easy to rip the wires out of the soldering job because there isn't much solder on there at all. If you're delicate with them you can just get some cement glue or super glue or whatever you prefer and stick them right back together.

Again, want to be clear that there's no shade thrown at Letshueor here; they instantly sent out a replacement no questions asked (sent them a pic of the damage in first email) and the rep said if he had had any left in the Amazon Warehouse he would have sent from there and I would have had them in a day or two. It's pretty clear that whatever glue they were using on some batches just dries right out and loses its stickiness so your left with the weak clipping mechanism holding the IEM together.

I just look at it as a fun project and learning a new skill. I'd always wanted to try soldering something and this was my first excuse to do it. Grabbed a $10 kit off Amazon and some $3 cement glue and now I've got two pairs of these amazing IEM's. I will say though, it was a huge pain in the ass. My soldering kit came with a super fine tip and without that I don't know if I would have been able to pull it off. Got really frustrated at one point but I finally did it after fifteen minutes of futzing around.

Jun 19, 2022 at 3:27 PM Post #968 of 1,896
Hello everybody.

Here is my humble opinion on the Letshuoer S12.
I hope you like it.

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/letshuoer-s12-planar-iem.25649/reviews#review-28705

Shuoer S12 26_resize.jpg

Jun 20, 2022 at 4:30 AM Post #969 of 1,896
Hello folks,

anybody here who runs the S12 on a powerful headphone amp? I'm running an aged Matrix M-Stage (highest gain!) and the S12 really shines by getting more juice. 9 o'clock is already very loud. I believe that these "endgame for a budget" IEM scale extremely well with proper amping.

Either way the tuning and the technical abilities are so addicting! Bass is fast and has great texture, mids and treble has loads of energy and details. I totally understand the hype for planar IEMs recently.

I've never heard Tribrids or any highend IEM so far so this is my reference from now on. Just jumped on the ChiFi train lately and having secondary gems Hana 2021 for easy listening.

best regards

a comeback user from 2011.

Jun 20, 2022 at 4:40 AM Post #970 of 1,896
Hello folks,

anybody here who runs the S12 on a powerful headphone amp? I'm running an aged Matrix M-Stage (highest gain!) and the S12 really shines by getting more juice. 9 o'clock is already very loud. I believe that these "endgame for a budget" IEM scale extremely well with proper amping.

Either way the tuning and the technical abilities are so addicting! Bass is fast and has great texture, mids and treble has loads of energy and details. I totally understand the hype for planar IEMs recently.

I've never heard Tribrids or any highend IEM so far so this is my reference from now on. Just jumped on the ChiFi train lately and having secondary gems Hana 2021 for easy listening.

best regards

a comeback user from 2011.
Agree totally. I find from the 4.4mm of the iFi Go Blu (offers are around on Amazon and Ebay) the S12 sounded great. Very high level sound the S12.

Jun 20, 2022 at 10:35 AM Post #972 of 1,896
I’ve got a 2.5mm cable with 0.78 2 pin. So to hear the power do I turn the input source low and the amp gain high? (On the Qudelix)

For most hardwired DAC/amp dongles the manufacturers usually recommend “volume to full” on the source and adjusting the listening level with the dongle. I’d be surprised if Qudelix suggests differently.

As for low vs high gain, use what sounds best while trying to keep volume in the range of 45-70%. However, some IEMs will respond differently, and there are no rules except for whatever sounds best.

Jun 20, 2022 at 11:16 AM Post #973 of 1,896
I’ve got a 2.5mm cable with 0.78 2 pin. So to hear the power do I turn the input source low and the amp gain high? (On the Qudelix)
I have habit with my HiBy DAP to use it 4.4mm at high gain. With the S12 (may be my imagination) but the notes seem to have more distinct leading edges at 4.4mm rather than 3.5mm. The iFi Go Blu I always use 4.4mm without any other settings. I've only used the 2.5mm on the Radsone ES100 which drove the S12 well.

Jun 21, 2022 at 5:29 AM Post #974 of 1,896
Agree totally. I find from the 4.4mm of the iFi Go Blu (offers are around on Amazon and Ebay) the S12 sounded great. Very high level sound the S12.

Things need to be clarified! Let's say a smart guy from another forum explained me some stuff.

You have to consider that a higher impedance of your source bends the sound (especially the bass) of lower impedance gears like IEMs. That's why many high class headphone amplifiers supposed to be 0 Ω as close as possible. To conclude it's more a subject feeling for better sound quality not the plain power of the amp. Compare it with with EQing to boost certain regions... here you're aware of the tonal change. Not the case if you switch from phone to any amp. Older headphone amps do tonal changes "naturally". Some of them still follow the old standards of 120 Ω impedance which leads to crazy bass response but also to a more spacious sound. Some users even use adapters which higher impedance just to alter the tone of the cans / IEMs.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back