LETSHUOER S12 - Next big planar? (Impressions & Discussion)
Jan 8, 2022 at 12:53 AM Post #46 of 1,909
I've been listening, since my last post, to the Shuoer S12 the whole time. I'm aware that some Planars don't have the great slam of some DDs, but as I listen to Wolf Totem by the Hu (yep, not the Who) I'm aware that the S12 has plenty of slam and impact. My guess is that tip rolling will be important for the S12. Stage seems to be good and wide, imaging good, not holographic though. I have to admit that, only ever having had one planar before, that I am taken aback by the S12. It is very musical because of its good timbre/tone and the bass is very textured. Mids are very full and not wimpy at all. Treble I'll need to listen to more but I don't find, to my ears, any disturbing peaks. At the moment I think Shuoer have done a really good job with the S12.
how would you compare it to other IEMs in this price range? is there any product that has better and more holographic stage?
have you tried hana 2021 or kato?

Jan 8, 2022 at 1:04 AM Post #47 of 1,909
how would you compare it to other IEMs in this price range? is there any product that has better and more holographic stage?
Give me like a few days to get mine and I will have in depth comparisons to the Hana 2021 which has has been my daily driver for the last month+.

Jan 8, 2022 at 5:22 AM Post #49 of 1,909
I don't have the Hana or Kato. As of yet I have not noticed a very holographic stage on the S12. There is good width, instrument placement is good, but not that very 3D effect, although there is some depth and 3D, but not as a specific feature. The texture of bass, mids and treble is excellent. My most holographic IEM is a seven driver BGVP, where stage is everything. In pure musical terms this S12 is rhythmically good, with faster than most decay. Timbre/tone are pleasing. It's not basshead but has a bass texture that encapsulates good and present bass. Drum skins give off their leather sounds and their texture, in that sense something most IEMs cannot do. The good size planar driver has great clarity and no audible distortion. My guess the Shuoer S12 would please most because the bass, mids, and highs are very integrated and organic sounding. The genres I listen to are World Music as African and Indian....Jazz, Blues, Rock, Folk, and Classical, so I don't know how they will present EDM, Metal, K-Pop, Japanese or Chinese music. I never got the sense of 'Planar' on my TRi i3 ( although they are excellent) but the S12 sounds 'Planar', different, whatever that is. Of course tastes are different but these suit me. Others will receive theirs soon so you will get more opinions. I guess we all hear differently.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2022 at 2:46 PM Post #50 of 1,909
Hi guys, I'm like a month into "head-fi" stuff (so a noob), and was thinking to bypass 'transit' earphones and go straight for something substantial, like Timeless. But S12 is significantly cheaper (also Timeless looks a tad weird) and based on early feedback (this thread mostly, not much else out here for now) looks like S12 is at least on par?

Jan 8, 2022 at 3:24 PM Post #51 of 1,909
Hi guys, I'm like a month into "head-fi" stuff (so a noob), and was thinking to bypass 'transit' earphones and go straight for something substantial, like Timeless. But S12 is significantly cheaper (also Timeless looks a tad weird) and based on early feedback (this thread mostly, not much else out here for now) looks like S12 is at least on par?
Yes, it would seem this way. I have the timeless and have MANY planars. THe The timeless IS an incredible IEM, not for it's price point, it's just an incredible IEM. Looks like the S12 is at least on par. The Timeless in picture does appear strange but the fitment is exceptionally comfortable and one of hte only IEMs I have that I can comfortably sleep with. Either way looks like you cant go wrotng.

Jan 8, 2022 at 4:08 PM Post #52 of 1,909
The impressions I've read from trustworthy sources state that S12 can compete and at times excel the Timeless. Mine is a few weeks away so if you don't want to wait then you should go ahead with S12. There's a promo going on so check Shuoer FB page

Jan 8, 2022 at 4:14 PM Post #53 of 1,909
I don't know if the Shuoer S12 is better than the Timeless, but I can vouch that the S12 is very special. The build, the cable, the package is great....and the sound is soooo good.

Jan 8, 2022 at 4:16 PM Post #54 of 1,909
Timeless looks weird but has an exceptional fit. The S12 from early reviews seems to be a great contender.

Jan 8, 2022 at 5:36 PM Post #55 of 1,909
S12 seriously messed up my hearing… I have been listening to it nonstop since I got it few days ago.
And now I just did a quick sweep through MEST, Tea, EJ07m, KZ ZEX (tape mod):
  • MEST is sharp af without EQ, had to turn down the volume.
  • Tea and EJ07m held their positions well, but really just slightly, both win in the higher frequencies with cleaner separation, resolution, and a tad wider stage.
  • KZ ZEX (tape mod) just sounded cheap and dark with a weirdly congested treble that’s harsh from time to time.
S12 is crazy impressive with the buttery smooth presentation, there’s really no sharp spots and the bass is lively, bouncy, energetic, and fast with a very generous 3D holographic rumble.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2022 at 8:14 PM Post #56 of 1,909
S12 seriously messed up my hearing… I have been listening to it nonstop since I got it few days ago.
  • Tea and EJ07m held their positions well, but really just slightly, both win in the higher frequencies with cleaner separation, resolution, and a tad wider stage.
  • KZ ZEX (tape mod) just sounded cheap and dark with a weirdly congested treble that’s harsh from time to time.
S12 is crazy impressive with the buttery smooth presentation, there’s really no sharp spots and the bass is lively, bouncy, energetic, and fast with a very generous 3D holographic rumble.
I'm with you. The bass is the best quality I have heard in about 50 IEMs. Quite amazing. Really exciting way the S12 presents music. Quite unique.

Jan 8, 2022 at 8:25 PM Post #57 of 1,909
That upper end will continue making moderate extension as the hours mount and the bass will continue coming into better control. I love my Timeless but registered to get a build of the new EDP from IMR. That will put me a 3 Planars in my current stable. Your writings here have me reconsidering - I may just need to pick up a S12 and call it a day.

Jan 8, 2022 at 8:39 PM Post #58 of 1,909
That upper end will continue making moderate extension as the hours mount and the bass will continue coming into better control. I love my Timeless but registered to get a build of the new EDP from IMR. That will put me a 3 Planars in my current stable. Your writings here have me reconsidering - I may just need to pick up a S12 and call it a day.
Bah, get em both like I am. Lol.

Besides, it's likely the S12 will arrive before the Ace gets built anyway. Give you a chance to try it out and maybe still allow you to cancel the IMR. But my guess is you'll get both anyway. You only live once. Hah!

Jan 8, 2022 at 8:54 PM Post #59 of 1,909
You only live once. Hah!
That's true, and if my wife sees anymore IEMs coming into the house.... it could be the end of my short run on this earth :sweat_smile:

Jan 8, 2022 at 10:34 PM Post #60 of 1,909
Glad to see all of the happy S12 owners so far. I jumped in on the early bird pricing and am looking forward to my set arriving, hopefully within a week or so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back