Lets Talk Metal
May 2, 2013 at 7:13 AM Post #9,527 of 29,661
If you guys are interested in the full dynamic range editions of Earache's classic back catalog, we just did an interview with owner and founder Digby Pearson here.

Now all we need is an FDR reissue of Slaughter of the Soul by At the Gates on vinyl :D

Also, if one is looking for the best versions of megadeth records, mainly peace sells and rust in peace, are the original pressings the way to go?

May 2, 2013 at 8:30 AM Post #9,529 of 29,661
Quote:
I am not pro deathcore but I like Aegaeon

pretty much the only deathcore i can listen to is these guys, and thats mostly just from how technical it is

May 2, 2013 at 10:02 AM Post #9,530 of 29,661
Quote:
Children Of Bodom call themselves "Melodic Death/Power Metal. Lol.

Much Power Metal is good at times except Dragonforce. They suck!

Always conflicted in a love/hate relationship w/ PM. Always enjoyed like the early classic bands (Helloween, Blind G, Gamma Ray, older Iced Earth), and some symphonic stuff like early NW, first two Epica albums...probelm is, taken as a whole, it's very limited and repetitive w/ little variety....a lot of it sounds the same. Now, as I write this, I'm thinking the same could be said of most metal genres. But, really, PM can be pretty boring and been there done that. There's only so much you can do in a straight jacket.

And, I'm on board w/ Redcarmoose-Dragonforce-OK I've only heard a couple of tracks....but they sound really lame. "Disney Metal". Yeah-straight up-Dragonforce sucks.

May 2, 2013 at 10:16 AM Post #9,532 of 29,661
Always conflicted in a love/hate relationship w/ PM. Always enjoyed like the early classic bands (Helloween, Blind G, Gamma Ray, older Iced Earth), and some symphonic stuff like early NW, first two Epica albums...probelm is, taken as a whole, it's very limited and repetitive w/ little variety....a lot of it sounds the same. Now, as I write this, I'm thinking the same could be said of most metal genres. But, really, PM can be pretty boring and been there done that. There's only so much you can do in a straight jacket.

And, I'm on board w/ Redcarmoose-Dragonforce-OK I've only heard a couple of tracks....but they sound really lame. "Disney Metal". Yeah-straight up-Dragonforce sucks.

Power metal is interesting as I guess everyone here on this forum has a handful of PM bands they like. Really I only love Hammerfall and Primal Fear. Listening to Helloween in the mid 80s was cool but they really do nothing for me anymore?

Still though for what ever reason folks do get a little defensive and hold their ground when defending their Power Metal likes. For anyone I think it's healthy to have a couple PM CDs. But to only listen to power metal would be super lame. That's why COB are so very important, and that's what is so sad about their fall from perfection. They came up with a new style that is a fusion no one ever did.

For what ever reason PM does get a lot of hate, it is a little silly when you see PM videos. I don't know why it's a strange style, even maybe too bombastic in delivery?

May 2, 2013 at 10:27 AM Post #9,533 of 29,661

It truly is repetitive and maybe lacking originality at times. I really am always trying to like it more and even did not like Hammerfall just because it was softer than the BM I was into at the time. But in the end I started to like it. Primal Fear almost seems like amatures when you start to listen to them, almost like a cheesy second rate Judas Priest, then you get used to em and they become fantastic. I always hoped I could do the same with the other PM bands but it never happens. So ya.......love hate thing here as well.

May 2, 2013 at 10:44 AM Post #9,534 of 29,661
Quote:
There are only two Power Metal bands out there i actually care about. Blind Guardian (seen them live several times) and Galneryus. I think I don't have to explain why I like Blind Guardian, but Galneryus.....one of the cheesiest bands I ever listened to :D
Their songs are oozing cheesyness. But on the other hand, these folks know how to arrange great songs and the stuff they are doing with their guitars is just over the top.
Just try listening to this masterpiece of cliches and too many solos :D

Exactly--same two bands for me! I enjoy some bands that inspired by power metal like Seventh Wonder and Amaranthe, but those are the only two "true" PM bands I can take.

May 2, 2013 at 10:53 AM Post #9,536 of 29,661
Quote:
It truly is repetitive and maybe lacking originality at times. I really am always trying to like it more and even did not like Hammerfall just because it was softer than the BM I was into at the time. But in the end I started to like it. Primal Fear almost seems like amatures when you start to listen to them, almost like a cheesy second rate Judas Priest, then you get used to em and they become fantastic. I always hoped I could do the same with the other PM bands but it never happens. So ya.......love hate thing here as well.

I'm in agreement. None of the bands I originally liked-Gamma Ray/BlndG/Helloween, etc. have put out stuff recently that I think holds up. Actually, Gamma Ray's Land of the Free pt 2 was decent IMO. I got into these bands a few years ago, much later than their albums were released. I think I was missing my adolescent love of NWOBHM. I heard Helloweens' Treasure Chest-it's a 2 disc best of kind of thing, and I thought-wow-this sort of...kind of...a little bit...reminds my of Iron Maiden/Priest w/ some speed metal....and, really, that's what PM originally essentially was IMO.

I'm guessing people like it because the better representations of PM  feels a little like Maiden and Priest-that super melodic, hookey, operatic vocals thang. Of course it isn't really, as we all know.

Let me cry in my beer, there will never be another Sad Wings of Destiny/British Steel/Screaming for Vengeance/Number of the Beast/Piece of Mind/Power Slave, etc. But, some of that early Helloween is a runner up.

May 2, 2013 at 11:06 AM Post #9,537 of 29,661
Quote:
Awesome new Meshuggah! (seriously now)

Ohhh yes... And I was thinking this reminds me of someone.. An extension of Meshuggah...

May 2, 2013 at 11:20 AM Post #9,538 of 29,661
Quote:
I'm in agreement. None of the bands I originally liked-Gamma Ray/BlndG/Helloween, etc. have put out stuff recently that I think holds up. Actually, Gamma Ray's Land of the Free pt 2 was decent IMO. I got into these bands a few years ago, much later than their albums were released. I think I was missing my adolescent love of NWOBHM. I heard Helloweens' Treasure Chest-it's a 2 disc best of kind of thing, and I thought-wow-this sort of...kind of...a little bit...reminds my of Iron Maiden/Priest w/ some speed metal....and, really, that's what PM originally essentially was IMO.

I'm guessing people like it because the better representations of PM  feels a little like Maiden and Priest-that super melodic, hookey, operatic vocals thang. Of course it isn't really, as we all know.

Let me cry in my beer, there will never be another Sad Wings of Destiny/British Steel/Screaming for Vengeance/Number of the Beast/Piece of Mind/Power Slave, etc. But, some of that early Helloween is a runner up.

heavy metal and power metal do not deserve to be put as equals. I can listen to Judas Priest, but there isn't a single power metal album I can sit through without wishing it would stop. As for the post a page or two ago about thrash should die, at least the originals from the 80's did it correctly with some notables in the 90's. But the majority of this thrash revival is LMAO in a denim jacket and white h- wait a minute they do that anyway

May 2, 2013 at 11:57 AM Post #9,540 of 29,661
Enjoying Samothrace at the moment.....the opposite of power metal.....low and slow 
evil_smiley.gif

61hrzWtl2NL._SY300_.jpg

Edit-for doom lovers-just two long songs which feels a little lean, but good stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back