Lets Talk Metal
Mar 31, 2013 at 4:34 AM Post #9,091 of 29,653

Show was pretty damn cool last night, IWrestedABearOnce put on a great show.  Usually go to Rolo Tomassi for my bat**** insane mathcore needs but I like the new singer quite a bit. Chilled with them and the bassist from the Human Abstract in the green room and after the show. Tobin Abasi came by as well but I didn't end up talking to him. We played after IWABO so a lot of people left without seeing us but Courtney was nice enough to tell everyone to stay for us three separate times so we had a decent crowd of 30-40 people. Drummer kicked through the bass head in the middle of the set so things sounded pretty empty but the crowd seemed to like us quite a bit as we got plenty of people walking up to us after the show giving us compliments and some drunk girl trying to buy us drinks but the bar wouldn't do it as everyone is underage.
Moral of the story is, support local music, even if you don't like the scene, if you buy a few drinks and sit in the back headbanging the band will notice you and be incredibly grateful.  Musicians aren't going to get any better if no one supports them when they are young.
Edit: Also support local music because their is no better feeling than waking up in the morning with every muscle in your body thrashed. Took me like 4 hours after waking up just to walk to the kitchen to get breakfast, I then walked back to my room and fell asleep again, rinse/repeat the rest of the day.

Mar 31, 2013 at 10:14 AM Post #9,092 of 29,653
Quote:
I think they still make great records. Priest has come out with some great live DVDs too not long ago. The new album will most likely have great sound. Even though many scoffed at the last Judas Preist release it was recorded well. Even when British Steel came out it was audiophile metal!

Redcarmoose,
I'm going to my first meet in May. I want to put together a killer playlist on my ipod to listen to gear. I'm actually going to also select some classical, jazz and non metal rock to listen to the range of stuff I like which goes far beyond metal,

BUT......

Given your knowledge of Priest (they were my pretty much my first love affair w/ traditional metal-in HS in the80's I was totally into priest),

if you were to suggest a couple of great Preist songs w/ textbook good SQ to demo headphones, what would they be?

I've got most of their stuff on disc.

Mar 31, 2013 at 10:48 AM Post #9,093 of 29,653

Sometimes I really dislike depressive bm. Especially when you're having a pretty jolly day and something like this comes up to just completely ruin your mood.

Mar 31, 2013 at 8:10 PM Post #9,095 of 29,653
Apr 1, 2013 at 9:49 AM Post #9,096 of 29,653
Quote:

Discography

Main article: In Flames discography
Studio albums
  1. Lunar Strain (1994).............................................Great but as I remember it's short as an EP (9) Not that good sound wise? Vinyl may be good?
  2. The Jester Race (1996)...................................... This came out as a Reload in 09, good remaster in my eyes.(10)
  1. Whoracle (1997)................................................. I still think I like Clayman more. (10)
  1. Colony (1999)......................................................Another Nuclear Blast CD remaster of Reload series.(10)
  2. Clayman (2000)...................................................The masterpiece.(10)
  1. Reroute to Remain (2002).....................................Crap!
  2. Soundtrack to Your Escape (2004)........................The first In Flames in my collection. Can't rate it. It is actually a strange record. It gets all the hate!
  3. Come Clarity (2006)..............................................At times I like this. Really very different for them! (8)
  4. A Sense of Purpose (2008)...................................I really, really want to like this.......still (6)
  1. Sounds of a Playground Fading (2011)....................Great SQ...maybe an (8)

I agree with everything up to (and including) Clayman. But how can you think Reroute to Remain is crap, and still give decent marks to Come Clarity and A Sense of Purpose? I think RtR by far the best album they've made after Clayman. Sounds of a Playground Fading I think is ok, but I ****ing detest Come Clarity and A Sense of Purpose.
I get why people like these albums, the chorus on Take This Life and Leeches are some of the best work In Flames have done. But the rest of both songs is some of the worst anyone has done! The opposite goes for I'm the Highway from A Sense of Purpose. The opening riff is superb and the verses are good. But the chorus is horrible! Ruins the entire song!
I guess this is why I hate these albums so much. You get these glimpses of awesome, and then it's buried in ****! It's so sad! The only song I like out of these two albums is Alias, but it's still a lot weaker than their older stuff.

Apr 1, 2013 at 10:05 AM Post #9,097 of 29,653
Quote:
Redcarmoose,
I'm going to my first meet in May. I want to put together a killer playlist on my ipod to listen to gear. I'm actually going to also select some classical, jazz and non metal rock to listen to the range of stuff I like which goes far beyond metal,

BUT......

Given your knowledge of Priest (they were my pretty much my first love affair w/ traditional metal-in HS in the80's I was totally into priest),

if you were to suggest a couple of great Preist songs w/ textbook good SQ to demo headphones, what would they be?

I've got most of their stuff on disc.

I just would pull anything off the last two records. It just depends on what sound your into. Hell Bent For Leather was totally over the top when I started to listen to it along with British Steel in the late 1970s. This stuff for me anyway was audiophile metal. When Screaming For Vengeance came out in 81 everyone thought the album sounded fantastic. I even thought Turbo Lover sounded great but have to agree the rest of the album was not so great for Priest.

I may not be the guy to ask here as most of my Priest is on vinyl. I also don't tend to look at songs for sound quality but whole albums. When I finally was able to get together the rig I have now, I was really excited to go back and play the old records. Staind Class really didn't sound that great. Screaming For Vengeance was great as was British Steel and Hell Bent. Nostradamus was not as great on vinyl as I thought. I ended up going threw six different copies and they were all pressed with issues. Nostradamus is really good sounding and the vinyl is better but I thought it may be even a little better. I love the Nostradamus record.

Angel Of Retribution is great on CD though I never heard it on vinyl.

Apr 1, 2013 at 10:25 AM Post #9,098 of 29,653
I'll still defend Come Clarity forever. I love that album. 

Take This Life / Leeches
Dead End (Love Lisa Miskovsky)
Come Clarity

There's a couple of other stand outs but I can't remember the song names right now.

Apr 1, 2013 at 10:36 AM Post #9,099 of 29,653
Quote:

I just would pull anything off the last two records. It just depends on what sound your into. Hell Bent For Leather was totally over the top when I started to listen to it along with British Steel in the late 1970s. This stuff for me anyway was audiophile metal. When Screaming For Vengeance came out in 81 everyone thought the album sounded fantastic. I even thought Turbo Lover sounded great but have to agree the rest of the album was not so great for Priest.

I may not be the guy to ask here as most of my Priest is on vinyl. I also don't tend to look at songs for sound quality but whole albums. When I finally was able to get together the rig I have now, I was really excited to go back and play the old records. Stand Class really didn't sound that great. Screaming For Vengeance was great as was British Steel and Hell Bent. Nostradamus was not as great on vinyl as I thought. I ended up going threw six different copies and they were all pressed with issues. Nostradamus is really good sounding and the vinyl is better but I thought it may be even a little better. I love the Nostradamus record.

Angel Of Retribution is great on CD though I never heard it on vinyl.

Thanks,
and, actually I don't have their last couple of releases. I held off on Nostradamus. I'm just going to put together a playlist across various genres to audition equipment. I thought I'd solicit your thoughts, since my bias or nostalgia toward the music can sometimes shade my ability to discriminate true SQ.

It will be on my Ipod and FLAC files from CDs I own. I think I may pick a couple of Priest, Iced Earth or Iron Maiden tracks to represent traditional metal. I've always liked Screaming for Vengeance. So, maybe Electric Eye which is a classic.

Appec,
Mark

Apr 1, 2013 at 10:43 AM Post #9,100 of 29,653
I'm just discovering this genre, coming from electronic and dance its a nice change, and I would love some recommendations if at all possible, all I really been exposed to so far is Kalmah, and Ziltoid  the Omniscient by Devin Townsend. So anything would be greatly appreciated. 
Thanks, Pixel. 

Apr 1, 2013 at 12:41 PM Post #9,101 of 29,653
Quote:
I'll still defend Come Clarity forever. I love that album. 

Take This Life / Leeches
Dead End (Love Lisa Miskovsky)
Come Clarity

There's a couple of other stand outs but I can't remember the song names right now.

Come clarity is also a In Flames cd that i will always love. Its not my favorite anymore, but it wasmy very first In Flames CD and what got me into the band.

Apr 1, 2013 at 2:05 PM Post #9,104 of 29,653
Quote:
I'm just discovering this genre, coming from electronic and dance its a nice change, and I would love some recommendations if at all possible, all I really been exposed to so far is Kalmah, and Ziltoid  the Omniscient by David Townsend. So anything would be greatly appreciated. 
Thanks, Pixel. 

Just keep going back in this thread, clicking and listening to all the recommendations. :)

Apr 1, 2013 at 2:25 PM Post #9,105 of 29,653
Quote:
I'm just discovering this genre, coming from electronic and dance its a nice change, and I would love some recommendations if at all possible, all I really been exposed to so far is Kalmah, and Ziltoid  the Omniscient by David Townsend. So anything would be greatly appreciated. 
Thanks, Pixel. 

Devin Townsend :) And you should check his Addicted album out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back