Lets Talk Metal
Mar 9, 2013 at 4:47 PM Post #8,806 of 29,653
Quote:
Redcarmoose's list of why 2013 is going to be beechen beyond belief!!

Ugh, this list just made me realize that every ding dong metal band that puts out an album this year will have something involving the number 13 in it, either album title or song....  

Maybe 13 will get back together and play a show?

Mar 9, 2013 at 6:26 PM Post #8,808 of 29,653
RE: clutch dynamic range....that's interesting. But, it hasn't affected my enjoyment of listening to them.

I am in the process of putting together a HP and "real" speaker set up really for the first time in mylife!

Fact is, the quality of sound, my source components, etc haven't been a priority until recently. I've listened to lowfi sources most of my life without complaint. Much of my listening has been CD rotation in my car and in recent years in Ipod.

Maybe, when I get my amp and DAC, poor production will bother me to a greater extent. At this point, honestly, I could care less about dynamic range scales.

But, I do know what I like. I like good song writing. I like heavy, pscychedelic, proggy, challenging music.

Clutch? I like them. I get that their production has been poor. Maybe I'm missing something, but I think of a lot of metal is pretty horribly produced. I wonder how Bathory for example would be rated on that dymanic range scale? late 70's hardcore? How about Xasthur....most black metal for that matter?

I guess I flunk audiophile 101. Call me crazy, I think lowfi production in much underground metal adds a certain grit/atmosphere/mystique.

IMO-Clutch are a great rock band...end of story.

Mar 9, 2013 at 7:51 PM Post #8,809 of 29,653
I think you're defending against an attack that doesn't exist. I love Clutch, their early production is just bad. Still love the band. PRF is a very unfortunate example. 2db is REALLY bad, but it's still a fantastic album.

Same with most Metal, but when something is well produced people here will take notice. Doesn't mean we aren't going to listen to it if it's brick walled, just means it's brick walled. 

What you'll find is that you notice more with good gear, but most will still listen to it because the music is great...

Quote:
RE: clutch dynamic range....that's interesting. But, it hasn't affected my enjoyment of listening to them.

I am in the process of putting together a HP and "real" speaker set up really for the first time in mylife!

Fact is, the quality of sound, my source components, etc haven't been a priority until recently. I've listened to lowfi sources most of my life without complaint. Much of my listening has been CD rotation in my car and in recent years in Ipod.

Maybe, when I get my amp and DAC, poor production will bother me to a greater extent. At this point, honestly, I could care less about dynamic range scales.

But, I do know what I like. I like good song writing. I like heavy, pscychedelic, proggy, challenging music.

Clutch? I like them. I get that their production has been poor. Maybe I'm missing something, but I think of a lot of metal is pretty horribly produced. I wonder how Bathory for example would be rated on that dymanic range scale? late 70's hardcore? How about Xasthur....most black metal for that matter?

I guess I flunk audiophile 101. Call me crazy, I think lowfi production in much underground metal adds a certain grit/atmosphere/mystique.

IMO-Clutch are a great rock band...end of story.

Mar 9, 2013 at 9:03 PM Post #8,810 of 29,653
Quote:

They kinda are like Devildriver. The later Devildriver that is kinda groovy, non-abrasive, a little commercial and at a mainstream recording quality to boot!

I do like the direction they are going in with the change-up of band members. I'm not a good reviewer of music though, because I like guitar sound soo much, if an album has good guitar and a guitar-centric production, then I'm in no matter what the rest of the sound is like.

Talking of Devildriver, it seems about time for them too to produce a new album? They have had regular out put the last couple of years. Still though, the first album really hit the nail on the head for them. It captured a hungry death-metal band with an underground sound. They are still cool, but have lost that dangerous edge and sound like they are recording songs for Guitar-Hero on the X-Box. lol I still like em though.
wink.gif

Agree wholeheartedly and completely. My thoughts are same. :)

Mar 9, 2013 at 11:47 PM Post #8,811 of 29,653
In the mood for some pretty rockin' swedeath? This stuff is some really catchy death metal, and they've gone through a psychadelic-ish/atmospheric transition on their latest album; I can really appreciate a band that can do this while retaining their core sound. I'm digging the nasty, thick production, too.

Good ole rotten sound:

Their more psychadelic approach:

Mar 10, 2013 at 9:31 AM Post #8,812 of 29,653
I think you're defending against an attack that doesn't exist. I love Clutch, their early production is just bad. Still love the band. PRF is a very unfortunate example. 2db is REALLY bad, but it's still a fantastic album.

Same with most Metal, but when something is well produced people here will take notice. Doesn't mean we aren't going to listen to it if it's brick walled, just means it's brick walled.

What you'll find is that you notice more with good gear, but most will still listen to it because the music is great...

Fair enough....
smile.gif

I take your point.

Mar 10, 2013 at 3:52 PM Post #8,814 of 29,653
Quote:

More impressed as the album spins on. Thought I'd made a mistake for awhile there. Still more 'core' than I'd like, but good none the less. 

That must sound pretty good on vinyl. When BDM fist came out, they were a little bit of an enigma( they still are an enigma ) They mixed a little core sound in to what was otherwise fully a modern death/thrash mixed style. No one knew really what direction they would go. Everyone just said that they had a true "scary" element to them that no-one else had. By "scary" they meant Slayer-Reign-In-Blood-Energy "scary".

In some ways that album was bittersweet for me. I respected that way they came off as original. The album has great dynamics sound wise. Every song is a little different. They can surly play their drums and guitars. There just was that mall-core aspect to their sound, which at this point is deeply integrated and almost hidden between the amazing metal they do. That album almost transcends any genre and becomes it's own musical world.

I kinda hope they leave this core sound out of the upcoming album, but who knows? They are so talented they really can do anything they want and it will be good. In the end they polarize the metal community by having the mall kids love em as well as the older rockers who would normally leave that style at the Hot Topic store.

Mar 10, 2013 at 5:48 PM Post #8,815 of 29,653

Addaura - City Light (In Still Dark Forenoon Silence) (2012)

Atmospheric Black Metal from USA From their new album "Burning for the Ancient". Tragic and desperate with a warm very warm sound and some very intense vocals. Check it out if you like Altar of Plagues, Deafheaven, Sun Worship and similar hip bands. :wink:

Mar 10, 2013 at 5:57 PM Post #8,816 of 29,653
Quote:
In the mood for some pretty rockin' swedeath? This stuff is some really catchy death metal, and they've gone through a psychadelic-ish/atmospheric transition on their latest album; I can really appreciate a band that can do this while retaining their core sound. I'm digging the nasty, thick production, too.

Good ole rotten sound:

Their more psychadelic approach:

Love this. Thanks for the heads-up!

Mar 11, 2013 at 12:26 AM Post #8,817 of 29,653
/rant
What "-core" sound are you guys talking about? The Black Dahlia Murder is Melodic Death Metal through and through. For some reason the internet metal nerds are convinced that it is cool to hate on them, but if their music had come from europe everyone would be riding there dicks pretty hard.
/end rant

Mar 11, 2013 at 12:29 AM Post #8,818 of 29,653
I don't care where it came from...the vocals can be grating...and that style is what I associate most with the word 'core'.

I associate Melodeath more with bands like Dark Tranqulity and In Flames. Ritual didn't strike me as particularly 'melodic'.

Quote:
/rant
What "-core" sound are you guys talking about? The Black Dahlia Murder is Melodic Death Metal through and through. For some reason the internet metal nerds are convinced that it is cool to hate on them, but if their music had come from europe everyone would be riding there dicks pretty hard.
/end rant

Mar 11, 2013 at 1:04 AM Post #8,819 of 29,653
Quote:
I don't care where it came from...the vocals can be grating...and that style is what I associate most with the word 'core'.

I associate Melodeath more with bands like Dark Tranqulity and In Flames. Ritual didn't strike me as particularly 'melodic'.

Haha we shall have to agree to disagree on this one. I guess i dont find the vocals to be core in any way. Core to me requires the use of breakdowns, which TBDM doesnt really use.

Old school melodic death metal would include bands like Dark Tranquility and In Flames, but TBDM certainly isn't just Death Metal, they are melodic in that sense. Just becuase they dont sound like In flames or dark tranquility doesnt mean they arent melodic death metal. Though i also dont consider TDBM to be particularly thrashy either...

edit: though i do also have that vinyl! got it with the cd when i pre ordered the album...now i just need a turntable so i can play it :/

Mar 11, 2013 at 1:35 AM Post #8,820 of 29,653
True on the breakdowns but I guess after loving bands like In Flames and Dark Tranquility I'm used to more actual melody in my Melodic Death Metal. :D

Quote:

Haha we shall have to agree to disagree on this one. I guess i dont find the vocals to be core in any way. Core to me requires the use of breakdowns, which TBDM doesnt really use.

Old school melodic death metal would include bands like Dark Tranquility and In Flames, but TBDM certainly isn't just Death Metal, they are melodic in that sense. Just becuase they dont sound like In flames or dark tranquility doesnt mean they arent melodic death metal. Though i also dont consider TDBM to be particularly thrashy either...

edit: though i do also have that vinyl! got it with the cd when i pre ordered the album...now i just need a turntable so i can play it :/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back