Lets Talk Metal
Mar 6, 2013 at 4:54 PM Post #8,776 of 29,654
Quote:
Oh, and... 

I am SOOOOOOOO jealous of this tour. The three symphonic metal kings together? I'd LOVE to see this exact lineup go to North America.

Mar 6, 2013 at 5:58 PM Post #8,778 of 29,654
Were barely into 2013, though until i heard the new Cult of Luna i felt mostly the same way, that was the first truely great cd of the year i thought

Definitely my favorite thus far.

And Eight Bells of course.

I'm also a big fan of the new Voivod album but I realize it's not for everyone.

The new DWP line-up is killer. Just stay tuned if you like ODEM!

Mar 6, 2013 at 6:01 PM Post #8,779 of 29,654
OshiOshiOshiOshiOshiOshiOshi~~

NEW RUINS OF BEVERAST COMING! Meilenwaaaaaaald!

http://www.van-records.de/content/en/releases.html

(At the very bottom of upcoming releases)

This is quite a pleasant surprise.

EDIT: For those not in the know... brilliant, murky, atmospheric black metal from Germany, spearheaded by the now-defunct Nagelfar's drummer. Very unique.

On the review list, hoping to get it early to give you guys the scoop!

Mar 7, 2013 at 2:51 PM Post #8,780 of 29,654
Quote:
This might sound bad but somehow for metal 2013 has not turned out to be as good as 2012 or 2011 so far. Does anyone else share the same feeling? 

All the great releases arn't out yet!!
Quote:

Were barely into 2013, though until i heard the new Cult of Luna i felt mostly the same way, that was the first truely great cd of the year i thought

I'm going to have to hear this "Cult Of Luna".
Quote:
+1 for the last Jungle Rot-the kind of meat and potatoes DM I can get into...

I've got the new Voivod and Darkthrone playing on rotation in my car....really liking those two-your posts convinced me to get the Darkthrone....I gotta say-it's a blast to listen to.

I was lukewarm on the Voivod at first. I like prog but some of it gets a little to "music school gradaute/let's be clever and smart/wanky...." But, I'm liking it a lot now after about 3 spins. It's actually very good IMO

I think this year is the same as any other year. Maybe even better than the last two years? I could make a list of favorites so far but it's way too early. I really like the new Darkthrone. The Darkthrone is kinda an example of how I get the most enjoyment out of each years metal. I try not to listen for a certain sound but just try to keep an open mind to new stuff. At times the hardest to get used to ends up being the most rewarding.

I have yet to try to get my head around the new Voivod. I'm lazy to play it actually.

Really everything has already been done before. It's hard at times to get impressed. Every band can play now, everyone can get somewhat good production together. There is like 15 metal sub-genres, still it's the bands that know how to use the basics and get a little luck, together with a slightly different take on what has been already done before.

At years end there are always at least 10 really good records. Every year there is going to be 1000 death metal records that sound the same, 1000 black metal records that could have been recorded in 1995 and some average rock/metal releases as well as some stupid mall-core or experimental releases that don't even need to exist.

I'm just glad that they still make great thrash metal.

Mar 7, 2013 at 2:59 PM Post #8,781 of 29,654
Oh i agree that there are going to be some amazing cds coming out this year. Just not that many have come out yet.

I'm most excited for the new The Black Dahlia Murder CD, Ritual is still to this day in extremely heavy rotation for me

Mar 7, 2013 at 9:09 PM Post #8,783 of 29,654
Quote:
Check out the new Rotting Christ....

2007's Theogonia was maybe thee best release in 07. Maybe the best release for Rotting Christ ever. This new one is nice, still though it's no Theogonia!!

Mar 7, 2013 at 9:12 PM Post #8,784 of 29,654
Quote:
Oh i agree that there are going to be some amazing cds coming out this year. Just not that many have come out yet.

I'm most excited for the new The Black Dahlia Murder CD, Ritual is still to this day in extremely heavy rotation for me

I didn't know they had one in the pipeline! Cool!

Mar 7, 2013 at 10:12 PM Post #8,786 of 29,654
New In Vain tomorrow. Sounds really good from the teaser.

Mar 8, 2013 at 1:01 AM Post #8,787 of 29,654
2013 seems to be a really good year for Brutal Death Metal. New Devourment, Wormed, Defeated Sanity, Craniotomy and Euphoric Defilement in just 3 months time. I'm not that big of a BDM fan but the new Wormed is just a real piece of work, absolutely adore it.

On top of that, really excited about the aforementioned Ruins of Beverast album. I loved Nagelfar and have loved everything Beverast has done since, very excited!

Mar 8, 2013 at 1:29 AM Post #8,788 of 29,654
I agree! BDM usually isn't my thing, but it's gotten my attention this year. Also, don't forget about Katalepsy's Autopsychosis! 

Mar 8, 2013 at 6:16 AM Post #8,789 of 29,654
Quote:

All the great releases arn't out yet!!
I'm going to have to hear this "Cult Of Luna".

I think this year is the same as any other year. Maybe even better than the last two years? I could make a list of favorites so far but it's way too early. I really like the new Darkthrone. The Darkthrone is kinda an example of how I get the most enjoyment out of each years metal. I try not to listen for a certain sound but just try to keep an open mind to new stuff. At times the hardest to get used to ends up being the most rewarding.

I have yet to try to get my head around the new Voivod. I'm lazy to play it actually.

Really everything has already been done before. It's hard at times to get impressed. Every band can play now, everyone can get somewhat good production together. There is like 15 metal sub-genres, still it's the bands that know how to use the basics and get a little luck, together with a slightly different take on what has been already done before.

At years end there are always at least 10 really good records. Every year there is going to be 1000 death metal records that sound the same, 1000 black metal records that could have been recorded in 1995 and some average rock/metal releases as well as some stupid mall-core or experimental releases that don't even need to exist.

I'm just glad that they still make great thrash metal.

Speaking of rock/metal releases I see that Metalsucks just gave the new Clutch release which comes out later in the month a rave review. I really liked Pure Rock Fury and and Blast Tyrant in partic....I'll probably check out this release...as I still have a side to me that digs flat out-hook ladden-kick axx rock music. And, on that front-I think Clutch usually really brings it....good old fashioned American rock band-kind of a dying breed in a way.

Mar 8, 2013 at 7:06 AM Post #8,790 of 29,654
2007's Theogonia was maybe thee best release in 07. Maybe the best release for Rotting Christ ever. This new one is nice, still though it's no Theogonia!!

I think the new one is right in line with Theogonia. Iin fact my biggest criticism of the new album is it sound too much like Theogonia!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back