Lets Talk Metal
Nov 15, 2012 at 2:32 AM Post #7,636 of 29,660
This might not be the right question for this thread. But what would it take to start a Custom IEM manufacturing setup started? I am from India and there is no one doing anything like that here. Whom do you think I should get in touch with to learn how a CIEM are built ?

Nov 15, 2012 at 3:38 AM Post #7,637 of 29,660
So..... Sh!t production and brickwalled, loudness war albums, being churned out by bands who don't care about the listening... tell me again why you're even bothering listening? If that's how they want to sell their product, just don't buy it.

Nov 15, 2012 at 3:41 AM Post #7,638 of 29,660
Anyone heard the Carbomb Album? W^W^^W^W?

http://carbomb.bandcamp.com/

Well-produced metal ^^

Nov 15, 2012 at 3:43 AM Post #7,639 of 29,660
So..... Sh!t production and brickwalled, loudness war albums, being churned out by bands who don't care about the listening... tell me again why you're even bothering listening? If that's how they want to sell their product, just don't buy it.

Nov 15, 2012 at 8:10 AM Post #7,640 of 29,660
Anyone heard the Carbomb Album? W^W^^W^W?

http://carbomb.bandcamp.com/

Well-produced metal ^^

Pual, what's even cooler than their music IMO is their documentary about touring and the industry (I was going to feature this in an article on MFi but I figure I would just post it here):

This has several interviews including Randy from LoG as well as Gojira. A MUST WATCH for all extreme metal fans.

Nov 15, 2012 at 10:52 AM Post #7,641 of 29,660
Quote:
since the introduction of the CD mostly...although bands tried it with vinyl in the 60's/70's, there is a physical limit to how "brickwalled" vinyl can actually be.  CD/digital on the other hand...

That's actually a bit of a myth. There's a limit to how much bass you can have on a vinyl LP, which is the reason for the RIAA frequency curve. While you can't necessarily cut vinyl at insane loudness per se (apparently that can damage the cutting lathe) there's nothing stopping you from having little to no dynamic range on an LP.

Nov 15, 2012 at 10:55 AM Post #7,642 of 29,660
Quote:

I know what you mean. I was planning to review the new Tiamat, but I think I may end up just not covering it. Musically it's good, but the CD is slammed so freakin hard (DR4) that its just a chore to listen to, and because of that I don't think I can recommend that anyone buy the CD at all. If I ever get the vinyl I may go back to it, but the CD isn't worth wasting money on.

Nov 15, 2012 at 11:24 AM Post #7,644 of 29,660
That's actually a bit of a myth. There's a limit to how much bass you can have on a vinyl LP, which is the reason for the RIAA frequency curve. While you can't necessarily cut vinyl at insane loudness per se (apparently that can damage the cutting lathe) there's nothing stopping you from having little to no dynamic range on an LP.

Agreed, my bad for explaining it poorly. There is a limit to ultimate amplitude (groove size) which can limit dynamic compression to a point. Because of this groove size limit, only singles can be made very loud (LP records require smaller grooves) so the "loudness war" started when it became popular for DJ's to spin singles. It is also harder to reproduce high freq in the inside of a record, so the sound can change from start to finish.

I'm no vinyl expert but it is a fascinating medium. I'll still take digital :)

Nov 15, 2012 at 11:25 AM Post #7,645 of 29,660
Quote:

Even so, having a low-volume brickwall would be completely useless in every imaginable way.

Nov 15, 2012 at 11:31 AM Post #7,646 of 29,660
Quote:
For any Metroid fans out there.

A huge Metroid fanboy. My ear really does not agree with the rhythm guitar though. It seems so off beat from the otherwise melodic Kraids lair theme. The part starting from 0:43 is great though as the rhythm guitarist stops wanking with palm mutes and star-stop beats.

Just my opinion though.

Nov 15, 2012 at 1:25 PM Post #7,647 of 29,660
in the interest of posting stuff...

i've been trying to increase my collection (and knowledge) of thrash (and metal in general), especially from a historical context.  i just discovered this oldie but really enjoying it (and embarrassingly never heard of it), so i thought i'd share a track for yall

Nov 15, 2012 at 3:33 PM Post #7,648 of 29,660
Quote:
Pual, what's even cooler than their music IMO is their documentary about touring and the industry (I was going to feature this in an article on MFi but I figure I would just post it here):

This has several interviews including Randy from LoG as well as Gojira. A MUST WATCH for all extreme metal fans.

I love that documentary!

Nov 15, 2012 at 4:29 PM Post #7,649 of 29,660
Nov 15, 2012 at 6:38 PM Post #7,650 of 29,660
Quote:

A huge Metroid fanboy. My ear really does not agree with the rhythm guitar though. It seems so off beat from the otherwise melodic Kraids lair theme. The part starting from 0:43 is great though as the rhythm guitarist stops wanking with palm mutes and star-stop beats.

Just my opinion though.

I know what you mean, though I don't mind the guitar personally. I think it's a good thing that they tried doing something original with it instead of following the original track note-for-note.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back