Lets Talk Metal
Oct 24, 2012 at 3:03 PM Post #7,351 of 29,661
Quote:

Genre definition is important and helpful. I do not agree with what you are saying. I mean as soon as I hear terms I am able to make associations with certain kinds of music for eg: Deadly Remains ( Brutal Death), Opeth (Progressive Death), Melodic Death (Be'lakor), Obscura (Technical Death).

For me, these are very different forms of Death metal, however I still don't endorse the 'Core Hate'.

Music that can be neatly categorized is not original music. It indicates that bands are not striving to find their own sound and instead are relying on formulas which result in ultra narrow sub-genre classifications.

I've read lots of interviews with bands and they always say this. They HATE being classified into sub-sub-genres, because they feel like they are failing to achieve a unique sound. Take for example "djent". Bands that get classified as "djent" actually just sound like Meshuggah. Why does there need to be a stupid new sub-genre, when it is entirely defined by a band already? They are the one's that should be getting named checked for originating the sound in the first place. What is funny is that they made up the term "djent" as a joke to answer the stupid "what genre of metal R U?" questions they get sick of hearing.

The Blythe, lead singer of Lamb of God, expressed the same resentment:
In a series of tweets, Blythe commented, "THERE IS NO SUCH ******* THING AS 'DJENT'. ITS NOT A GENRE. I'm sorry, it's STUPID AS ****. Metal already WAY over classified. Look dude- all this ******** 'Deathcore' & 'Djentcore' & ******* 'Cantplayinreallifebutcanonacomputer-core' it's just a NAME."

"People can call themselves WHATEVER THEY WANT- it's ******* heavy metal- this sub-classifying **** is a pathetic attempt to say that you are re-inventing the wheel. YOU ARE NOT. ITS ******* HEAVY METAL. Get over it. 'Djent'? ARE YOU KIDDING ME? I can say that I am a fruit bat, copy fruit bat movements, & soon all my friends will too. Then we will have fruitbatcore. Can we fly? NO."
Blythe stated that Meshuggah is not djent, further adding "Why do bands dislike classification? Because its usually done by ******* journalists trying to understand something they can't do."

http://www.ryansrockshow.com/php2/news/8112-lamb-of-gods-randy-blythe-on-djent-its-not-a-genreits-supid-as-****.html 

Oct 24, 2012 at 3:57 PM Post #7,352 of 29,661
I just found out that Tommy Karevik is doing lead vocals for the new Kamelot album. I've never heard Kamelot before but I'm looking forward to it for that alone.

Oct 24, 2012 at 4:00 PM Post #7,353 of 29,661
Quote:
Really thanks
smily_headphones1.gif
i'm listening to almost all the songs on Deezer, i'll buy the albums some time, but damn that's heavy!
biggrin.gif

Some Prog Death recommendations:

Nami and Fornost Arnor. If you are looking for Opeth Similarities.

Oct 24, 2012 at 4:02 PM Post #7,354 of 29,661
Quote:

- Virus
- Ved Buens Ende ("Written in Waters")
- Anekdoten
- Riverside
- Disillusion ("Back to Times of Splendor" album) 
- Gordian Knot
- Enslaved (last few albums)
- Ihsahn 
- Arcturus ("The Sham Mirrors" album is their proggiest)

Actually, what did you think of Ihsahn's album Eremita that came out this year? I think it's great. One of the more thoughtful/intelligent artist today.

Oct 24, 2012 at 4:15 PM Post #7,355 of 29,661
Quote:

Music that can be neatly categorized is not original music. It indicates that bands are not striving to find their own sound and instead are relying on formulas which result in ultra narrow sub-genre classifications.

I've read lots of interviews with bands and they always say this. They HATE being classified into sub-sub-genres, because they feel like they are failing to achieve a unique sound. Take for example "djent". Bands that get classified as "djent" actually just sound like Meshuggah. Why does there need to be a stupid new sub-genre, when it is entirely defined by a band already? They are the one's that should be getting named checked for originating the sound in the first place. What is funny is that they made up the term "djent" as a joke to answer the stupid "what genre of metal R U?" questions they get sick of hearing.

The Blythe, lead singer of Lamb of God, expressed the same resentment:
In a series of tweets, Blythe commented, "THERE IS NO SUCH ******* THING AS 'DJENT'. ITS NOT A GENRE. I'm sorry, it's STUPID AS ****. Metal already WAY over classified. Look dude- all this ******** 'Deathcore' & 'Djentcore' & ******* 'Cantplayinreallifebutcanonacomputer-core' it's just a NAME."

"People can call themselves WHATEVER THEY WANT- it's ******* heavy metal- this sub-classifying **** is a pathetic attempt to say that you are re-inventing the wheel. YOU ARE NOT. ITS ******* HEAVY METAL. Get over it. 'Djent'? ARE YOU KIDDING ME? I can say that I am a fruit bat, copy fruit bat movements, & soon all my friends will too. Then we will have fruitbatcore. Can we fly? NO."
Blythe stated that Meshuggah is not djent, further adding "Why do bands dislike classification? Because its usually done by ******* journalists trying to understand something they can't do."

http://www.ryansrockshow.com/php2/news/8112-lamb-of-gods-randy-blythe-on-djent-its-not-a-genreits-supid-as-****.html 

That is all good, but as a mode of communication I firmly believe it works. Say Djent and straightaway Meshuggah, Periphery, Monuments, Sithu Aye come to my mind. Its really convenient to get recommendations based on metal sub genres since its an approximation of a type of sound.

I don't really care if some journalist defined one sub genre and the band hates it because the way I see it. Djent has got recognition all its recognition that way.

Without genre's I would not have been able to find bands like Nami, Fornost Arnor, October Tide, The Chant etc etc because there is so much music and so little time to listen 
L3000.gif

Oct 24, 2012 at 4:37 PM Post #7,356 of 29,661
Quote:

Actually, what did you think of Ihsahn's album Eremita that came out this year? I think it's great. One of the more thoughtful/intelligent artist today.

I really enjoyed it. It took me a while to warm up to his vocals, but I think it was a really well done album. Metal needs more sax.

Oct 24, 2012 at 5:29 PM Post #7,357 of 29,661
Quote:
I am thinking about upgrading my Hifiman RE0 IEM. Which one would you guys prefer? I am having a hard time picking between these:

- Vsonic GR07
- Vsonic GR01
- Sony EX600
- Fischer Audio DBA-02 MKII
- Hifiman RE262

You know my genres of preference. :wink: Oh! Listening to a lot of Current 93 lately! 

Sorry, I don't have an IEM recommendation, but I wanted to thank you for posting that song.  I have been using the FA-001 as my main headphone for a while (throw in a 75ohm adapter if the highs are too much for you), but this song allowed me to switch to the Q701 that I haven't used very much since I normally don't find it to my taste.  The Q701 was brilliant with that song!  I must now make a point to listen to more vocal/acoustic stuff with them!

Oct 24, 2012 at 8:40 PM Post #7,358 of 29,661
Quote:

No one said that bands that are sub-genred are categorizing themselves. There's a distinction in a band being described by the community of listeners as a subgenre (described below), and a band who categorizes themselves (during the songwriting process). Bands that DO categorize themselves going into songwriting as playing x genre are indeed bottlenecking themselves.

As wrathzombie put it, it's useful as a communicative jargon. But in no way is it supposed to bind a band to a formula. When trying to quickly reccomend something in casual conversation, these categories are useful in describing a shallow approximation of what to expect. Beyond that, its up to the listener's subjective taste to hook onto nuances, which singular words can't capture, which is where people start to write reviews. It's precisely because bands we enjoy can't be neatly categorized that we use certain words to approximate them so we can hook other people onto them. (This is aside, of course, from just jamming headphones on their ears and pressing play)

Is genre x stupid? It's really up to the community to decide. Some genre's catch on, some don't, it's a sort of darwinism of whether or not a term is useful in its description. For instance, cascadian black metal, as negakinu pointed out, is stupid and is restricted to those bands themselves because they don't inherently help in this procedure. As for djent, it depends on whether or not you think "Meshuggah clone" is a descriptor of worth. :wink: (just makin fun.)

So what I'm saying is that they're useful in some respects, and after a certain degree, they aren't; they're useful as reference points, useless as definitions, which is also why it's useless to argue over them as well, as it misses the entire point.

It's anything but a black and white issue. Sorry if I seem a bit overbearing here, I love contentious linguistic phenomena. :)

Oct 24, 2012 at 9:50 PM Post #7,359 of 29,661
Quote:

I really enjoyed it. It took me a while to warm up to his vocals, but I think it was a really well done album. Metal needs more sax.

Yea, definitely well done. Some of the songs made me pretty damn uneasy, but I knew that's what he was trying to convey so I found it brilliant. Definitely digging the sax.

Oct 24, 2012 at 11:06 PM Post #7,360 of 29,661
Quote:

It's trumpet/trombone, but I figured you guys might find these guys interesting. Definitely one of the funner bands out there. A far cry from Ihsahn, though.

Oct 24, 2012 at 11:15 PM Post #7,361 of 29,661
Haha, it's like a psychotic ballroom. I dig it. Got a bit o' groove on.

Oct 24, 2012 at 11:42 PM Post #7,363 of 29,661
Quote:
Can somebody recommend me some good progresive metal? And maybe put in on dropbox
biggrin.gif

Persefone

Truth Inside The Shades 2004
Core 2006
Shin-Ken 2009

Oct 25, 2012 at 12:30 AM Post #7,364 of 29,661
Quote:

My favorite drog song after the classic Sweet Leaf.

Killer song, killer band.  Saw them at Deathfest last year, middle of their set it started to pour rain, which was cool, but not for the guys running sound, so they killed the PA, Wino walked off stage, walked back on (bands still playing mind you), PA comes back up, they finish the song.  Then Wino says into the mic, while staring at the guy working the monitor mix, "If you kill my vocals again, we're gonna have a huge problem!"  Crowd cheers, next song starts.  I guess the guy said something back to Wino, because he walks towards him, reaches into the booth, grabs at the guy, gets his hat, flips him off, and throws the hat into the crowd.  As a guy who's worked sound at shows, I'd be absolutely furious with all of his actions, but as someone standing in the crowd observing, it was exactly what I want to see from an old speed freak.

My all time favorite Saint Vitus song, was soooo stoked when they played it.

Oct 25, 2012 at 12:33 AM Post #7,365 of 29,661
So glad Om's on tour again, sad it's not Chris on drums, but excited none the less.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back