Lets Talk Metal
Jul 26, 2012 at 11:10 AM Post #6,601 of 29,645
Quote:

Dysrhythmia (very technical), Russian Circles (heavy postrock), Lento (sludge). 

Nitroseed. all good bands listed. also check out keelhaul

Jul 26, 2012 at 12:12 PM Post #6,602 of 29,645
Quote:

I bet you do. 

evil_smiley.gif
wink_face.gif

rolleyes.gif

Jul 26, 2012 at 12:37 PM Post #6,603 of 29,645
Quote:
the more albums they put out the worst they get, imho

How do you figure that? I don't think anything they've done since Monumension has been a step down in quality. They don't always do the same thing, so I guess if you're looking for a progressive black version of Amon Amarth you're going to be unhappy. I for one am really looking forward to this release.

Jul 26, 2012 at 1:19 PM Post #6,604 of 29,645
How do you figure that? I don't think anything they've done since Monumension has been a step down in quality. They don't always do the same thing, so I guess if you're looking for a progressive black version of Amon Amarth you're going to be unhappy. I for one am really looking forward to this release.

I am a late comer to Enslaved. If anything I actually believe they have improved over time which vindicates their longevity.

Jul 26, 2012 at 6:58 PM Post #6,605 of 29,645
I'm looking forward to this festival here in Holland. This is last year's line-up btw. New one should be released soon. 

They did make an anouncement for this year though, one I'm pretty stoked about:

Since Darkthrone is a band that will never play live we figured out something that would be second best.... for sure! 
A norwegian allstar lineup will play under the name "A blaze in the Northern Sky" the first black metal album of Darkthrone. This is a tribute to one of the leading bands in Norwegian Black Metal history. This show will be performed as an after show after Primordial.

Quote:
We're thinking of brining the torches and we will be playing the entire "A blaze in the Northern Sky Album". 

The lineup for this tribute band:
Nagash - Troll, Covenant/The Kovenant 
K: Virus, Whip, Blindfisted, Enthral 
Sturt: Nattefrost, Troll 
V: Sarkom, Svarttjern, Magister Templi
Goblin: Isvind

Jul 26, 2012 at 8:55 PM Post #6,607 of 29,645
Quote:
the more albums they put out the worst they get, imho

I guess some would maybe think that, not most though. Their early stuff does sound different than their later stuff. I really think their later stuff is just as good or better. They even put out some of their later releases on vinyl. Combining the vinyl sound with the incredible production and musicianship makes their new stuff great!

Some folks are just into the style of early BM. Some like everything. Still there are not many bands that can change their stride this late in the game and pull out epic releases out of nowhere? Most bands just get stale but keep releasing music to get paid.

Jul 26, 2012 at 9:28 PM Post #6,608 of 29,645
Quote:
I guess some would maybe think that, not most though. Their early stuff does sound different than their later stuff. I really think their later stuff is just as good or better. They even put out some of their later releases on vinyl. Combining the vinyl sound with the incredible production and musicianship makes their new stuff great!

Some folks are just into the style of early BM. Some like everything. Still there are not many bands that can change their stride this late in the game and pull out epic releases out of nowhere? Most bands just get stale but keep releasing music to get paid.

Just about every Enslaved album going back to their debut has been issued on vinyl. I haven't heard any of them, but now I kinda want to...

Jul 27, 2012 at 1:07 AM Post #6,609 of 29,645
Quote:
I'm looking forward to this festival here in Holland. This is last year's line-up btw. New one should be released soon. 

They did make an anouncement for this year though, one I'm pretty stoked about:

Since Darkthrone is a band that will never play live we figured out something that would be second best.... for sure! 
A norwegian allstar lineup will play under the name "A blaze in the Northern Sky" the first black metal album of Darkthrone. This is a tribute to one of the leading bands in Norwegian Black Metal history. This show will be performed as an after show after Primordial.

Quote:
We're thinking of brining the torches and we will be playing the entire "A blaze in the Northern Sky Album". 

The lineup for this tribute band:
Nagash - Troll, Covenant/The Kovenant 
K: Virus, Whip, Blindfisted, Enthral 
Sturt: Nattefrost, Troll 
V: Sarkom, Svarttjern, Magister Templi
Goblin: Isvind

why doesn't dark throne play live anymore?

Jul 27, 2012 at 1:16 AM Post #6,610 of 29,645
Can anyone recommend some decent thrash. I grew up on Metallica, Megadeth, Anthrax, Slayer, Exodus, Testament, etc. I recently picked up the new Kreator album and I am quite impressed with it. I don't like the vocals in death, I think black is just silly, I have been giving some different doom/sludge stuff a spin. My fave genre of metal is thrash and I am looking for some new/old stuff to keep me interested.

Cheers,
Dan

Jul 27, 2012 at 2:24 AM Post #6,611 of 29,645
Quote:
Just about every Enslaved album going back to their debut has been issued on vinyl. I haven't heard any of them, but now I kinda want to...

I only have two. I love them.

1. Isa (2004)
  2. Ruun (2006)

Jul 27, 2012 at 3:06 AM Post #6,612 of 29,645
having just discovered Audacity and its "Show Clipping" option...this physically hurts me :<

Thats my favorite Dan Dankmeyer song Domination Nation off of Arcologies....

Edit: like seriously if Origin can release cds back to back that look like this, with no brickwalling and not even a hint of clipping, no one else has a damn excuse

Jul 27, 2012 at 3:58 AM Post #6,613 of 29,645
Can anyone recommend some decent thrash. I grew up on Metallica, Megadeth, Anthrax, Slayer, Exodus, Testament, etc. I recently picked up the new Kreator album and I am quite impressed with it. I don't like the vocals in death, I think black is just silly, I have been giving some different doom/sludge stuff a spin. My fave genre of metal is thrash and I am looking for some new/old stuff to keep me interested.

Cheers,
Dan

Try Pantera and Machine Head. They're my favorites.

Also there's this relatively unknown band from Sweden called Wolf. They have and excellent old school sound. Try their album Ravenous.

Jul 27, 2012 at 6:42 AM Post #6,614 of 29,645
Quote:
Also there's this relatively unknown band from Sweden called Wolf. They have and excellent old school sound. Try their album Ravenous.

Wolf are pretty cool, imagine a more thrashy iron maiden.

Jul 27, 2012 at 6:42 AM Post #6,615 of 29,645

Pantera is in my opinion a bit over rated. Their first two albums are classics and then it went pretty much down hill from there.

Machine Head is good stuff but a bit repetitive.

Try these two:

Vektor and Havok. You really can't go wrong with either of them. I'm pretty much sure after you listen to Havok, you will want to buy me a drink for the link.

Definitely open up your ears to more death and black.

Let's start gentle, please listen to the new Be'lakor.

For black, you of course have heard Ashes Against the Grain and The Mantle by Agalloch right? If not, shame on you! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back