Lets Talk Metal
Jul 23, 2012 at 9:34 AM Post #6,571 of 29,663
Quote:
Haha, funnily enough I've heard the opposite (that reading one chapter and then putting it down isn't how it's supposed to be done), but I'm pretty sure it can be enjoyed in either context. If you want a look ahead, the full album is on spotify! Though admittedly, the ads every song or two utterly wrecks the atmosphere it builds up. :p

I ordered it directly from bigcartel. $18 AUD free shipping, pretty nice. I also have faith that the bigcartel is the closest I'll get to ordering from him directly, which is what we buy music for in the end.

Oh, I know what you mean. When it comes to books, I definetly do not read a couple of chapters at the time, I consume them! My record being reading one of the Salvatores early Drizzt books on one go, starting in morning and finishing it at night. Guess how fuzzy my brain and eyes were after that.
eek.gif

Unfortunately when it comes to music I cannot do the same. I get ants in pants and itching fingers at some point and I have to start doing SOMETHING or I go crazy. Be it surfing the internet or something. But that kinda defeats the purpose of this kind of music.

Quote:
I forgot to tell you, Negakinu, that CA's newest is easily one of my most played albums of this year. Maybe I'll go more in depth later, but those are some supremely crafted tunes you guys have molded. Whether it's the violin climax in "The Funerary Dirge...", the vocal break in "Bitte Tötet Mich", the nightmarish call of "General Nightmare", or that ******* spine-breaking, headbanging breakdown in "These Fields Are Lurking", there's always something I look forward to when the next track starts to play. ALL THREE of you have awesome chops (I've memorized most of your fills since they're so ******* catchy) and devilish imagination, and it comes out like Satan's own magnificent, theatrical debut in this album. Cheers.

Word. While I havent listened it in a while now (actually now that I mentioned it I have to give it a spin again) but its quality stuff. Made me think what it would be like if Carach Angren would make a show based on one of their albums. IE Waltari's Yeah Yeah Die Die Death Metal opera. Or something like Alice Coopers gigs. You get the idea.

*edit* New track from Grave. No opinion yet.
http://www.decibelmagazine.com/featured/streaming-grave-passion-of-the-weak/

Jul 23, 2012 at 11:40 AM Post #6,572 of 29,663
Quote:

Personally love listening to Metallica's S&M, not sure about the mastering, but they did an excellent job mixing and micing it. Suprising how well you can hear every instrument when there are such a variety and number of instruments. 

According to the DR database it's brickwalled. I don't have the report or waveforms in front of me to see how much damage was actually done, so they could've used a limiter to keep it from clipping. That was pretty common around that time (peaks limited to -0.10 or -0.05dB) when engineers still considered audible clipping to be a bad thing.

Jul 23, 2012 at 2:06 PM Post #6,573 of 29,663
Quote:

Thanks man! We've put a lot of effort in the new album and it's great to hear about people picking up on that. Credit where credit's due though, I do artwork, marketing and concept/lyrics. Namtar's on drums, Ardek on keys and Seregor on vox and guitar. I haven't played an instrument since I impaled my hand in an accident. I used to play the keys before, when Ardek wasn't in the band but that was a while ago. :) I switched from playing to writing and designing. 

OH! I assumed that since you had drums listed in your hobbies... and... your name started with an N.... that you were Namtar. :p My bad! Well! Let's just say when I told my brother what the album was about, it was enough to get him to get the album himself! :wink: Since lyrics are such a large part in creating the atmosphere and music of CA, I consider you no less invested in its creation. Like I said, DAT 'stumbled across an old farmstead...'

@MaZa I'll probably be in the same predicament, haha. I think it would be awesome to play it during a night road trip though! 

And yes, I do not protest the idea of CA doing something like an opera like Waltari!

Jul 24, 2012 at 12:15 AM Post #6,574 of 29,663
Quote:

This may sound lame, but I don't think I can laugh at their ignorance because in many ways I am ignorant too. Even though whatever was being said in that video doesn't make any sense to me, it does make sense to someone so much that they decided to make that video. All I can say is I don't know enough to say I know and  there is nothing there is to know so I can't say I don't know. But it doesn't matter either way because in fact there is nothing there to know....

da faq did i just read?

You're saying that this is obviously wrong, but you know nothing, so you can't judge something you understand as being stupid, and either way, it doesn't matter because there is nothing to know?
did you use google translate? Or is that just trying to make piece by ignoring everything that makes sense.
That video makes less sense than the recently internet famous 'man door hand hook car door' story.

Jul 24, 2012 at 3:43 AM Post #6,575 of 29,663
Quote:
da faq did i just read?

You're saying that this is obviously wrong, but you know nothing, so you can't judge something you understand as being stupid, and either way, it doesn't matter because there is nothing to know?
did you use google translate? Or is that just trying to make piece by ignoring everything that makes sense.
That video makes less sense than the recently internet famous 'man door hand hook car door' story.

I have been reading a lot about Buddhism and listening to Jack Kornfield while taking long walks... 
biggrin.gif

Jul 24, 2012 at 4:39 AM Post #6,576 of 29,663

METAL NOSTALGIA

Jul 24, 2012 at 6:58 AM Post #6,579 of 29,663
da faq did i just read?

His view about the video certainly makes sense to me.

Jul 24, 2012 at 9:14 AM Post #6,581 of 29,663
If I would be strict with the the word "Nostalgia", here are mine.

Argue all you want if GNR is really metal or not but these songs were my first steps to the world of metal and loved these so much. (I was about 10 years old I think) Finally it was Metallica's Memory Remains that sealed the deal and turned me 100% into metal (although ironically even that song can barely be considered as metal too.
biggrin.gif
)

Anyway, these songs define the word "Nostalgia" to me and bring a ton of good memories to my mind.

*edit* Obviously at some point my trip to Metallicas albums brought this (true) metal nostalgia gem.
biggrin.gif

Jul 24, 2012 at 9:21 AM Post #6,582 of 29,663
Quote:
I am not saying Load is the best metal album ever, but since this is the first one I ever heard and I heard it plenty of times, I have this strange connection with that album. It reminds me of this journey of metal that started so many years ago. Whenever, I hear a band or album which defines a change in sound (for me) for eg: The first Opeth album I heard was Heritage and I loved it, since then I have realized that there are many 70s Prog Bands who did Prog better than Heritage, but since Heritage got me to the new sound, I will always like it.

Don't you guys make connections to music that way?

When I was musically aware enough to buy my own music, I bought two albums, Master of Puppets and Aerosmith's Pump. I didn't take me too long to realize that Aerosmith wasn't for me. I then bought all of the rest of the Metallica albums except for Ride The Lightning, for whatever reason I didn't get that until much later. I also didn't really like Kill 'Em All and I ended up selling it, too raw for me at the time. Then I discovered Alice In Chains and Soundgarden, and I was really into grunge rock for awhile. In most cases I still really enjoy the albums that first got me in to a particular artist. I discovered Opeth via My Arms Your Hearse, and I still love the hell out of that album - so much so that I just paid over $100 for a sealed vinyl first press. Good thing BWP isn't my favorite Opeth record - you're looking at $200 there, maybe more.

Jul 24, 2012 at 10:19 AM Post #6,584 of 29,663
Quote:

When I was musically aware enough to buy my own music, I bought two albums, Master of Puppets and Aerosmith's Pump. I didn't take me too long to realize that Aerosmith wasn't for me. I then bought all of the rest of the Metallica albums except for Ride The Lightning, for whatever reason I didn't get that until much later. I also didn't really like Kill 'Em All and I ended up selling it, too raw for me at the time. Then I discovered Alice In Chains and Soundgarden, and I was really into grunge rock for awhile. In most cases I still really enjoy the albums that first got me in to a particular artist. I discovered Opeth via My Arms Your Hearse, and I still love the hell out of that album - so much so that I just paid over $100 for a sealed vinyl first press. Good thing BWP isn't my favorite Opeth record - you're looking at $200 there, maybe more.

Actually, I was into Alice In Chains and SoundGarden approximately at the same time. In India MTV used to run one segment called MTV classic between 5 AM to 7 AM in the morning. I used to get ready to go for school at that time and that's when I saw this video and it was so strangely appealing and the following weekend I bought the Nevermind audio cassette. 

And there was this guy who lived upstairs who used was older to me by 10 years and he used to play guitar and I used to go to his place and talk about music and stuff, He had this  insane audio cassette collection. Testament, Floyd, Metallica, Yes etc etc.

Incidentally the first two tapes that I took from him was Aerosmith - Big Ones and Metallica - Load. Then I went on to buy Guns n roses greatest hits double audio cassette and Alice In Chains Unplugged blah blah blah.. What I am saying is , up until last three years I have always been behind the scene.

Imagine, first time I watched Nirvana - In Bloom, it was featuring on MTV classics

The first time I heard  MetalCore, Soilwork, In Flames was through HeadBangers Ball compilation. And I used to absolutely love the first two compilations.

That is somehow strange to me because, I used to know Death, Pantera, Sepelture, Obituary, Immolation, Decide etc. but for some reason I did not know Opeth or Katatonia.

Finally, one thing I know about Metal heads is no matter how crazy or stupid they are, they seem to know their music or remember and cherish their journey of musical enlightenment. Can't say the same thing about others who I know, who pretty much listen and enjoy everything that is playing on the radio or TV but don't get nostalgic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back