Lets Talk Metal
Apr 6, 2012 at 2:08 AM Post #5,866 of 29,661

Quote:
No, I agree with you with the brickwalling, I'm just saying there is no way in hell you are going to get -20 DB of dynamic range in a metal song.  But ya, you can always do better than brickwalling to the point of clipping.

True, 20dB probably isn't going to be possible. More than 5dB though, yes. I have metal albums that I think are very well produced that measure DR7 and DR8. There's also more to it than JUST dynamic range, as I said earlier I think Justice For All sounds like crap and it has plenty of dynamics in it. There's just no bass, or mids, or any real detail. Other than that its great, lol.

Apr 6, 2012 at 2:28 AM Post #5,867 of 29,661

Quote:
Supposedly things originally started with 7" singles and jukeboxes. The idea is that if the volume level of the jukebox is fixed, a louder single will standout more and get more attention.

Ah, that makes sense.

Still, I've never known anyone to play their iPod at maximum volume.

Apr 6, 2012 at 2:29 AM Post #5,868 of 29,661
So I took some snap shots of a lead guitar recording i had.

No compression used anywhere in the chain.
Here is a snapshot of of the average meter reading i got from it.

It had an average of 4 DB dynamic range. it went 1 decibel louder once but pretty much stayed within those four decibel except obviously for pauses.

Nice video you posted. Although with much harder and more brutal metal, drums are being played very differently than the songs in that video. Most of the dynamics showed in those songs were from drums. With drums from heavy metal you couldn't let the drums have that dynamic range or it would kill everything else, those good sounding pops would be going on every second and they would no longer be looked forward too.  But im not arguing against anyone here and we are on the same side.

Apr 6, 2012 at 5:11 AM Post #5,869 of 29,661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redcarmoose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can't believe how much I like the new Soulfly? Best in a while, for em!

I'm listening to it now and am liking it a lot.

And I just realized that I never checked out their last album. I guess I'll do that after I listen to Enslaved more.

Ya, I never really got into them. Their second to last album not so good. But this new album is cool. They brought in guest musicians for a couple of tracks. Nothing like the great Enslaved though. I have every CD Enslaved ever made. They are one of the greatest and made a sort of comeback with their last couple of releases. Soulfly ends up being a guilty pleasure which I think as a band would never get any respect in a forum like this one. The album is just something to play if you get bored. I always like to have washed up bands make a comeback release and give them credit for doing it. I am now getting into Daath. don't know how I passed up on all their music until now, kind of a progressive/black metal/hardcore/with a touch of metalcore? I love it though.

Apr 6, 2012 at 7:20 AM Post #5,870 of 29,661

This comes out today!?

Apr 6, 2012 at 9:45 AM Post #5,871 of 29,661
Been listening to the new Borknagar over the past few days, which is kicking ass!

Apr 6, 2012 at 1:45 PM Post #5,872 of 29,661

Quote:
Eventhough he looks wildy out of place, he looks like he's having a great time. Dude knows how the take a hit too. My grandpa wouldn't last ten seconds in a pit. 

Yeah. It seems like he is in good shape to be able to take the bumps and not fall, thing that is very dangerous for old people btw. Though now I am more interested what is the story behind this old timer. How and when he did get into extreme music?

Apr 6, 2012 at 2:10 PM Post #5,873 of 29,661

Quote:

Yeah. It seems like he is in good shape to be able to take the bumps and not fall, thing that is very dangerous for old people btw. Though now I am more interested what is the story behind this old timer. How and when he did get into extreme music?

He's us in the future.

Apr 6, 2012 at 3:10 PM Post #5,875 of 29,661

Quote:
Hell no. I wouldn't listen to sh1tty slam death, even when I'm old, senile and deaf. 

I wasn't really referring to the music, just being the old guy in the pit. I didn't even view the video with sound.

Apr 6, 2012 at 3:46 PM Post #5,876 of 29,661

Quote:
Hell no. I wouldn't listen to sh1tty slam death, even when I'm old, senile and deaf. 

Now that you mentioned Slam, I was reminded by this song which I heard a week ago. This band, Moker, is classified as Deathcore everywhere I look, but I am not exactly hearing it. With quick listen what I heard was either Slam or Brutal Death Metal, and surprisingly decent one considering I dislike both, with breakdown at the end that is also backed up with very metallic tremolo riff. But then again I am no expert in either of 3 genres so... What do you guys think?

Apr 6, 2012 at 5:14 PM Post #5,878 of 29,661

Quote:
Ya, I never really got into them.

Me neither. There have been some songs that I have liked, but not many and I don't listen to them much. So I'm surprised that I am liking Enslaved.

I really like "Soulfly VI" from Conquer.

Someone was telling me Sodom is really good. I have never listen to Sodom, so I plan to (he pointed me towards a few albums). There is so much metal I have not listened to. It makes my spin.

Apr 6, 2012 at 8:06 PM Post #5,879 of 29,661
Claiming that the instruments in metal have no dynamic range is ********.
I play guitar in my school big band, if we don't play the dynamics, we get slaughtered for it.
that goes for the drums, guitar and bass. every instrument has a dynamic range.
Think about any song with a softer section in it, in a poorly produced album, the instruments will be just as loud as they were when they were playing something like the chorus, just that less instruments will be playing.
Which is stupid, it makes the album awful to listen to. If you drop the volume on these sections you do 2 things, give the listeners ears a break, and give the effect of the music being much louder when in comes back to a louder section.

Apr 6, 2012 at 8:53 PM Post #5,880 of 29,661
New Gorod album out. Heard the first song, liked the first song. Just saying (in case it hasn't been mentioned here)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back