Lets Talk Metal
Sep 27, 2011 at 2:20 PM Post #4,398 of 29,682

Quote:
Alright, latest Mastodon and Machine Head are on Spotify and YouTube. Comments please. These are two of the biggest mainstream releases this year hands down.

New mastodon is epic.

Sep 27, 2011 at 5:42 PM Post #4,399 of 29,682
Yeah I knew. That's why I only highlighted the Post metal part of the quote (for Pelican) and that's why I wrote the EDIT thingy at the end (which you can check below your quoted message), but I didn't feel like deleting Scale The Summit for some of the reasons you mentioned yourself.

Quote:
He Asked for Post-metal/Sludge.

Pelican fits that description nicely.
But seriously, Scale the Summit are nothing like any post-roc/metal band, and their sound is so far away from sludge, you might as well have written katy perry.
Scale the Summit are an amazing Instrumental metal band, self described as 'Adventure Metal' Because their songs give this great sense of freedom, and adventure.
They have some seriously great tones, mostly in their lead and clean tones (guitar) [rhythm tone is a tad mushy for my liking] The bass is tight, and snappy, and the drums are very good, cymbals sit nicely, and aren't piercing, and kick etc are nice and deep, not cardboard like as some drums are.

Quote:
EDIT: Don't have much time to answer or check this thread lately, so my replies are rather fast and/or partially incorrect. 

Oh, and the band I was really trying to bring up (instead of STS) was Russian Circles.

Sep 27, 2011 at 11:33 PM Post #4,401 of 29,682

Quote:
Need some recommendations:

Something Prog metal instrumental. Should sound like Opeth( Damnation/Heritage) with a hint of Animals as Leaders.
Maybe a pinch of Isis and Cloudkicker to finish it off.

I know I am insane, But what I meant was something which has a mix of instruments and awesome mastering. (No Vocals)

Well Judging by the Cloudkicker and AAL, With something more natural sounding like Opeth, its pretty difficult, non of those bands are very similar..

I can say that ChimpSpanner is like a more melodic but equally spacious sounding cloudkicker
Scale The summit are a great instrumental metal band, very flowing, and natural sounding.
Gordian Knot are great if you like AAL, more jazzy and more conventional heavy metal blended together, really great If you like Cynic.

Sep 28, 2011 at 12:01 AM Post #4,402 of 29,682
Mastodon's new release is great, loving it a lot. Curl of the burl is so damn catchy, dry bone valley is sweet to. its awesome what Mastodon can do when they aren't tied to a concept like their last 3 albums and can just write songs about methheads cutting trees, and having sex in space and whatnot (even though i do love the majority of crack the skye...)

Sep 28, 2011 at 12:30 AM Post #4,403 of 29,682

Quote:
Mastodon's new release is great, loving it a lot. Curl of the burl is so damn catchy, dry bone valley is sweet to. its awesome what Mastodon can do when they aren't tied to a concept like their last 3 albums and can just write songs about methheads cutting trees, and having sex in space and whatnot (even though i do love the majority of crack the skye...)

Do you not like themed albums?
I love albums that actually take an idea and run with it, rather than just sounding like some interesting ideas, shoved on a cd, and not though about.....
just my opinion, I love concept albums, and most really great albums have a theme that appears throughout

Sep 28, 2011 at 12:51 AM Post #4,404 of 29,682

Quote:
I love albums that actually take an idea and run with it, rather than just sounding like some interesting ideas, shoved on a cd, and not though about.....
just my opinion, I love concept albums, and most really great albums have a theme that appears throughout

I love concept albums but i also enjoy albums that show the band or musician is just trying to have some fun.

Sep 28, 2011 at 12:52 AM Post #4,405 of 29,682
Quote:

In general, I think i do like concept albums, I agree its nice when one theme is present on a CD, and lots of my favorite albums are concept albums. On the other hand, concept albums can cause an album to be really constricted sometimes, case in point, Blood Mountain by Mastodon is really boring by the end of it, i think mostly because they were really sticking to the concept. Also, I don't think that it is mutually exclusive - just because an album isn't a concept album, it does not mean it is without an over-arching goal

and 2x casey's comment - The Hunter is really Mastodon's first fun album, and it really shows

Sep 28, 2011 at 1:21 AM Post #4,406 of 29,682
I haven't  got to listen to the hunter yet.... But I love Crack the Skye, and Blood mountain, I am slightly less found of leviathan though, that theme was something that left them with too little freedom, I didn't get that with Bloodmountain or crack the skye, The theme and sound stands, but fluctuates around enough to give some sense of freedom

Sep 28, 2011 at 8:31 AM Post #4,407 of 29,682
I haven't  got to listen to the hunter yet.... But I love Crack the Skye, and Blood mountain, I am slightly less found of leviathan though, that theme was something that left them with too little freedom, I didn't get that with Bloodmountain or crack the skye, The theme and sound stands, but fluctuates around enough to give some sense of freedom

Shocking since I consider Leviathan their best album. I just got The Hunter but I have not listened to it all the way through yet (so much other things).

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back