Lets Talk Metal
Sep 1, 2011 at 11:49 PM Post #4,096 of 29,682
I buy from amazon, importcds, and discogs
http://www.importcds.com
http://www.discogs.com/

Besides that you just have to browse ebay and various metal forums looking for people selling their collections.

Sep 2, 2011 at 10:57 AM Post #4,097 of 29,682
Post rock styled metal

Sep 2, 2011 at 3:50 PM Post #4,098 of 29,682
Been listening a lot of Kotiteollisuus again. A band I consider as a Finnish pride actually. Band whose lyrics pretty much define what is going on in the souls of all Finnish metalheads and the silent, brooding but strong mentality of Finnish people in general. Love this band to death.

Too bad the best part, lyrics, are in Finnish so majority will miss what makes this band so good. Even if it is translated I'm not exactly sure if the whole meaning translates as well but whatever.

A little funfact: When this band started they vehemently opposed them to be called as Metal band, at first anyway (and I sort of agree, their music is very Black Sabbathy in sound, riffs are very heavy metally too, but song structures are just Finnish Rock). I got the impression that they do not listen metal at all, even disliked what they had heard of it back then. However their sound and lyrics found their way into hearts of majority of finnish metalheads and they play in metal festivals year by year.

Sep 2, 2011 at 5:33 PM Post #4,099 of 29,682
Awesome write up. Really looking forward to checking them out later tonight when I get home. Even though im not finnish, you cant really be a fan of metal without an appreciation for the Finnish.

Quote:
Been listening a lot of Kotiteollisuus again. A band I consider as a Finnish pride actually. Band whose lyrics pretty much define what is going on in the souls of all Finnish metalheads and the silent, brooding but strong mentality of Finnish people in general. Love this band to death.

Too bad the best part, lyrics, are in Finnish so majority will miss what makes this band so good. Even if it is translated I'm not exactly sure if the whole meaning translates as well but whatever.

A little funfact: When this band started they vehemently opposed them to be called as Metal band, at first anyway (and I sort of agree, their music is very Black Sabbathy in sound, riffs are very heavy metally too, but song structures are just Finnish Rock). I got the impression that they do not listen metal at all, even disliked what they had heard of it back then. However their sound and lyrics found their way into hearts of majority of finnish metalheads and they play in metal festivals year by year.

Sep 2, 2011 at 7:37 PM Post #4,100 of 29,682
look what happens in this thread when i leave for 2 weeks...smh

People acting like they discovered Beyond Creation first...go back like 3 months and see me recommending it to Bullseye :p good ****, i dont know about better than Omivium though.  and for other good tech death this year, you really ought to check out Origin's new cd  Entity.

also Trogdor, do you seriously think The Great Mass is that good? like i freaking LOVE Communion, but The Great Mass just can't compete at all, like its not bad, i still listen to it, but alas, its just not as good.

and i also just discovered a new cd that ive been jamming out to all day today, bilateral by Leprous, very good progressive metal.

Sep 2, 2011 at 9:50 PM Post #4,101 of 29,682

Quote:

People acting like they discovered Beyond Creation first...go back like 3 months and see me recommending it to Bullseye :p good ****, i dont know about better than Omivium though.  and for other good tech death this year, you really ought to check out Origin's new cd  Entity.

I hope your joking... why would it matter who found a band first?

Sep 3, 2011 at 8:59 AM Post #4,103 of 29,682
Have you guys listened to The Red Chord? 

Not bad, due to songs like this one:

NOTE: SQ is crappy, check it out on Spotify or grooveshark. 

Sep 3, 2011 at 10:35 AM Post #4,104 of 29,682

also Trogdor, do you seriously think The Great Mass is that good? like i freaking LOVE Communion, but The Great Mass just can't compete at all, like its not bad, i still listen to it, but alas, its just not as good.

and i also just discovered a new cd that ive been jamming out to all day today, bilateral by Leprous, very good progressive metal.

LOL. Ok, ok, Soup's no need to burninate the peasants! Thank you both for Beyond Creation, great debut release. These guys are super talented.

I like Beyond Creation better than Omniivium for its musicality, we'll get to that in a minute regarding Septic Flesh.

The Technical scene is new to me Soup's so forgive me. A lot of these bands are new. I found Obscura through you and the fact they were an opening act with Septic Flesh and the Devin Project at the Children of Bodom show.

I don't even know who Origin is which is really embarrassing. I listened to a few tracks on their latest, Entity, and I JUSH WISH the drummer knew what he was doing, see here:

[VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2az8XTjv4yE[/VIDEO]

Just kidding. Holy bejezzus John Longstreth is really talented. This song is especially cool off the album:

[VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pwn0V9thtM[/VIDEO]

But overall I am tending to agree with the MetalStorm reviewer of Entity that Origin does seem like a one trick pony listening to their back catalog. Masterfully technical albeit at the expense of the music itself. There is something very special when a technical death metal band can bring out a beautiful melody amidst the fury. Origin seems to still grasp for that. There are moments like in the above song where they do deconstruct the music a bit with some excellent riffage but overall, its still a technical circus. My 2 cents so far. Take it with a grain of salt since I need to listen to more of their back catalog to get a sense of where they are coming from.

Now let's talk Septic Flesh. I want to say upfront, I did not get The Great Mass at all when it was released. I saw it instantly hit the top spot for best of 2011 on MetalStorm's site and was intrigued. I listened to a few tracks off of one of their social networking sites and was totally unimpressed. It sounded like a disjointed mess between the symphonic pieces interspersed with the death. Now what's even more ironic about what I am going to say is that you are one of the few who will understand this comment:

I received my JH3A/J16P a few weeks ago.

Obviously with all new highly anticipated high-end HeadFi equipment I start listening to the stuff my ear knows very well (and so does yours I'll bet): Megadeth, Opeth, Type O, Agalloch, Insomnium, etc.

I was so impressed with how Insomnium's Above sounded with the JH3A that I started to re-listen a lot of the music in this thread (literally going back pages of recommended music for 2011).

I hit The Great Mass again. I loved it. I really love it. Its a beautiful confluence of brutal death metal, symphonic eloquence, and catchy riffage. They really hit the right balance in my opinion on the Great Mass.

Btw has anyone seen the Earbook limited boxset of The Great Mass?

Sep 3, 2011 at 12:04 PM Post #4,105 of 29,682
haha i guess to each their own huh. cuase ive always thought that Origin did an amazing job of combining musicality with their technicality. Though i do think that Antithesis was a slightly better release than Entity, that doesnt really take anything away from entity.

EDIT: i did also check out the new Vader album, and thats actually pretty awesome, thanks for showing me that one guys! the guys at The Black Dahlia Murder were repping that one this morning as well.

Sep 3, 2011 at 2:09 PM Post #4,106 of 29,682
haha i guess to each their own huh. cuase ive always thought that Origin did an amazing job of combining musicality with their technicality. Though i do think that Antithesis was a slightly better release than Entity, that doesnt really take anything away from entity.

EDIT: i did also check out the new Vader album, and thats actually pretty awesome, thanks for showing me that one guys! the guys at The Black Dahlia Murder were repping that one this morning as well.

I will listen to more Origin since I am not familiar with a lot of the work, especially Antithesis which is "a beast of an album" according to MetalStorm staff.

I can't get into the new Vader album. I have listened to a few tracks and so far, nothing. But of course I was like that with Enslaved new one.

Btw I saw the Leprous review on AMG and will get to it soon.

Old news for the BMEs, I have been digging Triptykon's debut. No surprise, I dug Celtic Frost when rehab told me to check it out (can we have a moment of Forum silence for his lack of posts?)

Sep 3, 2011 at 4:50 PM Post #4,108 of 29,682
Quote:
Have you guys listened to The Red Chord? 

Not bad, due to songs like this one:

NOTE: SQ is crappy, check it out on Spotify or grooveshark. 

Red Chord is incredible, awesome heavy metalcore. "Fed Through the Teeth Machine", the album that song is from and their latest, is really really great. Demoralizer and Hour of Rats are 2 of the best metalcore songs ever imo. sleepless nights in the compound and mouthfull of precious stones are classics as well :). Their vocalist is one of the best current leading screamers i think, and they also put on one of the best live shows I've ever seen. If you can't tell i love this band haha

Sep 4, 2011 at 5:49 AM Post #4,109 of 29,682
What about Twelve Tribes, Metalcore(me like). 

Or the original Technical-Death, Gorguts.

Sep 4, 2011 at 5:58 AM Post #4,110 of 29,682
Another Brilliant band- Album art to 'Ikelmonster' Profile photo. I was so happy when I learnt to play one of their songs on guitar.

gs1000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back