Lets Talk Metal
Dec 21, 2010 at 7:17 PM Post #2,521 of 29,662
My top 7 albums this year:

Arsis - Starve For The Devil
I know this record is perhaps not what people "expected" or wanted from Arsis, but I found it to be damn enjoyable. Judge it on its own merits, rather than as an Arsis record.

Dark Tranquility - We Are The Void
The production is definitely not as good as "Fiction", fortunately the quality of the music really saves the day here. These Swedes still have it after 20 years.

Dimmu Borgir - Abrahadabra
Yes, the title is stupid, but the metal is first rate. The departure of Mustis and ICS Vortex perhaps provided just the kick in the ass that was needed.

Evemaster - III
One of the all time best melodic death metal releases, and the Edge of Sanity style vocals from Dan Swano are a nice bonus. The final track in particular is a masterpiece.

In Mourning - Monolith
At first I was disappointed with this record as it seemed a bit weak when compared to the stellar "Shrouded Divine". This album really grew on me with repeated listens though, and hopefully signals great things to come from this band.

Made Of Hate - Pathogen
Yes, they suffer from COB-Clonitis, but this album is better than "Blooddrunk", and who knows how potentially bad the next COB release could be. It's simple and a bit silly, but it's fun.

The Absence - Enemy Unbound
Like Monolith, this album took a bit of time to really grab my attention. Nothing in particular stands out, it's just solid end to end.

Overall Album Of The Year:
Evemaster - III

And now for this year's biggest letdowns:

Dark The Suns - Sleepwalking In A Nightmare
Yikes, what a piece of crap! I don't know what happened as last year's "All Ends In Silence" was a great album, but this is badly produced, boring dreck.

Kalmah - 12 Gauge
Perhaps technically better than "For The Revolution", but that's not saying a whole lot. Come on guys, give us Swamplord 2! Please?

How To Destroy Angels - S/T
The first track from this EP is at least interesting, if not great. Then it just falls apart into a bland mess. Mariqueen needs to do better, and Trent needs to do way better.

Label Troubles For Detonation
Want to buy Reprisal? Cause ya can't!

Next year I'm looking forward to: Mors Principum Est, Zonaria, More Devin Townsend!, Norther, Devildriver (hopefully better than the last one), and some Noumena please!!!

Dec 22, 2010 at 2:14 PM Post #2,526 of 29,662
Been on a major brutal death metal kick here lately.
Anyone else like the brutal death?

Blasphemer - Devouring Deception -  Crazy blasting death metal.  Love this stuff.  So wicked. 

Cenotaph - Putrescent Infectious Rabidity - Awesome slammey brutal death from Turkey.

Porkfarm - Blood Harvest Ep - Great little ep.  By a totally bada** band.

Dec 22, 2010 at 7:31 PM Post #2,527 of 29,662
Can you put the names of those bands? Don't feel like deciphering those names. :D

And yeah, I like Brutal Death. You should check Kronos, Benighted, Suffocation, Demilich, Lykathea Aflame, Severed Savior, Visceral Bleeding.

Quote:
Been on a major brutal death metal kick here lately.
Anyone else like the brutal death?

Crazy blasting death metal.  Love this stuff.  So wicked. 

Awesome slammey brutal death from Turkey.

Great little ep.  By a totally bada** band.

Dec 22, 2010 at 8:27 PM Post #2,529 of 29,662

Quote:

I know this record is perhaps not what people "expected" or wanted from Arsis, but I found it to be damn enjoyable. Judge it on its own merits, rather than as an Arsis record.

The production is definitely not as good as "Fiction", fortunately the quality of the music really saves the day here. These Swedes still have it after 20 years.

Yes, the title is stupid, but the metal is first rate. The departure of Mustis and ICS Vortex perhaps provided just the kick in the ass that was needed.

Evemaster - III
One of the all time best melodic death metal releases, and the Edge of Sanity style vocals from Dan Swano are a nice bonus. The final track in particular is a masterpiece.

In Mourning - Monolith
At first I was disappointed with this record as it seemed a bit weak when compared to the stellar "Shrouded Divine". This album really grew on me with repeated listens though, and hopefully signals great things to come from this band.

Made Of Hate - Pathogen
Yes, they suffer from COB-Clonitis, but this album is better than "Blooddrunk", and who knows how potentially bad the next COB release could be. It's simple and a bit silly, but it's fun.

Like Monolith, this album took a bit of time to really grab my attention. Nothing in particular stands out, it's just solid end to end.

Evemaster - III

Yikes, what a piece of crap! I don't know what happened as last year's "All Ends In Silence" was a great album, but this is badly produced, boring dreck.

Kalmah - 12 Gauge
Perhaps technically better than "For The Revolution", but that's not saying a whole lot. Come on guys, give us Swamplord 2! Please?

The first track from this EP is at least interesting, if not great. Then it just falls apart into a bland mess. Mariqueen needs to do better, and Trent needs to do way better.

Next year I'm looking forward to: Mors Principum Est, Zonaria, More Devin Townsend!, Norther, Devildriver (hopefully better than the last one), and some Noumena please!!!

I feel stupid, I don't even know Evemaster.

Dec 22, 2010 at 11:32 PM Post #2,531 of 29,662

Quote:
Can you put the names of those bands? Don't feel like deciphering those names. :D

And yeah, I like Brutal Death. You should check Kronos, Benighted, Suffocation, Demilich, Lykathea Aflame, Severed Savior, Visceral Bleeding.

Kronos was pretty good.  I freakin' love Benighted.  They know how to keep it interesting. 

Demilich's - Nespithe is an absolute classic. 

Suffocation is one of my favorite bands of all time.  Effigy and Pierced from Within are so good.

Severed Savior's Brutality is Law has been in rotation a bit here lately actually.  

Visceral Bleeding is just plain nuts.  I eat that stuff up. 

Haven't checked out Lykathea Aflame though.  Are they pretty good Bullseye?

Dec 23, 2010 at 6:18 AM Post #2,532 of 29,662
I personally enjoyed 12 guage quite a bit. I agree, it was least an improvement from For the Revolution.

Quote:

Evemaster - III

In Mourning - Monolith

Made Of Hate - Pathogen

Evemaster - III

Kalmah - 12 Gauge

Dec 23, 2010 at 6:44 AM Post #2,533 of 29,662
I'm glad someone else likes Abrahadabra.  I've heard so much hate for that album but I've been on the Dimmu wagon since they started.   That record is so huge and great.

Dec 23, 2010 at 5:54 PM Post #2,534 of 29,662
1. The Sword - Warp Riders
2. Agalloch - Marrow of the Spirit
3. Kvelertak - Kvelertak
4. Horseback - The Invisible Mountain
5. Bonobo - Black Sands (not metal, but w/e)

Overall, I was disappointed with metal this year. I'd only give Warp Riders and Marrow an 8/10.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back