Lets Talk Metal
Nov 30, 2010 at 9:21 AM Post #2,356 of 29,693
I just ordered Hifiman HE-5 from Headroom. Despite its QC issues I have only heard good things about its sound. I have high hopes how good it is with metal. And I hope my Stello HP100 is able to feed them enough current. Has anyone else listened this headphone, how good it is with metal in your opinion?

Nov 30, 2010 at 1:29 PM Post #2,357 of 29,693

Quote:
Trogs, everything you say begs me to repudiate it.  There is something strange going on here.  You and I are yin and yang.

You are right about one thing, QotSA are not metal, that's obvious.  However, for their own reasons they are a great band.

You seem like an intelligent fellow, it's just your taste in music is rather truncated.  I hope it broadens and matures with age :wink:

Hey I like the yin and yang analogy.  But listen, we still got Bach right?  :)

Nov 30, 2010 at 1:40 PM Post #2,358 of 29,693

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
when i get a full sized rig, i will be using the LCD-2's, nothing can match it i dont think. Including the Stax. I heard the O2's at canjam with Justins BHSE, which is supposed to be the best amp for them, and it just doesnt have the impact of the LCD-2's, its too soft overall, didnt really like it much.

Interesting. I don't find the O2 to be too dark or too soft. I would like to hear the LCD-2 with an amp on the quality level of the BHSE though. There's also Stax's upcoming flagship to consider, although the price is supposed to be at Edition 10 level, minimum. I'm also thinking about getting an LCD-2 to use with my HM-801 for a bit of metal on the go. The LCD-2 has nearly identical frequency response to the O2, so even if I don't like it as much, at least I can take it with me. Does the HM-801 have enough juice to drive the LCD-2 properly? They are more efficient than the Hifiman orthos right?

it wasnt a frequency response thing with the O2's, that was fine. the sound they produced was just too soft, thats really the only word i could use to describe it. they lack all the awesome impact that the LCD-2's have.

and yes, the LCD-2's are much more efficient than the hifiman ortho's, though im not sure about them being powered from the HM-801, i know Jude really likes using his from the protector in balanced mode from the hifiman, maybe ask him?

+1 about the O2s.  They have unbelievably good attack/decay characteristics but IMO lack a lot of impact other top cans have (and yes I have listened to the O2s through the Blue Hawaii at a meet a long time ago).  But again, there aren't too many open-air dynamic headphones that can keep up with the electrostatics - I thought my old Qualia's could connected to a SFT Dynamight.

Btw, I disagree partly about Grados.  I feel that though Grado's house sound is not metal friendly, I think the SR80s are still one of the best buys in the industry (I myself got into this hobby with a RS-1/RA-1 combo as a gift so I know the Grado sound all too well).

Nov 30, 2010 at 2:16 PM Post #2,359 of 29,693

Quote:
and i would also say to stay away from anything grado, listening with those you're missing out too much of the music, and same with AT's though maybe the M50's would be alright, since they're from the mastering line and dont have the super wonky mid boostage with no bass or highs like the rest of their headphones.

whats everyone else's experience?

That depends. I have had only good experiences with Grado + metal. They reproduce guitars and doublebass drums with full of energy. Bass fullness is lacking, but kick is definetly there with proper rigs anyway. HF2 also adds much needed bass fullness without losing the sharp bite. Too bad soundstage sucks so most symphonic and ambientic metal definetly lose something. But for Thrash and Death Metal, they are perfect. SR225 and HF2 will always stay in my collection.

Nov 30, 2010 at 2:36 PM Post #2,360 of 29,693

Quote:
Quote:
and i would also say to stay away from anything grado, listening with those you're missing out too much of the music, and same with AT's though maybe the M50's would be alright, since they're from the mastering line and dont have the super wonky mid boostage with no bass or highs like the rest of their headphones.

whats everyone else's experience?

That depends. I have had only good experiences with Grado + metal. They reproduce guitars and doublebass drums with full of energy. Bass fullness is lacking, but kick is definetly there with proper rigs anyway. HF2 also adds much needed bass fullness without losing the sharp bite. Too bad soundstage sucks so most symphonic and ambientic metal definetly lose something. But for Thrash and Death Metal, they are perfect. SR225 and HF2 will always stay in my collection.

the only one ive heard was the RS-1, and going from my JH-13's to those, there was just way too much of the music missing, but maybe i just had a bad experience, someday id like to try out the HF-2's

Nov 30, 2010 at 4:38 PM Post #2,361 of 29,693

Quote:
the only one ive heard was the RS-1, and going from my JH-13's to those, there was just way too much of the music missing, but maybe i just had a bad experience, someday id like to try out the HF-2's

The Grados I've heard with metal: SR-325, RS-2, and GS1000. I didn't like any of them, though I particularly hated the GS1000. Even if the sound was anywhere near the level of my Omega 2, they are just too uncomfortable for me to use them for more than an hour or so.

Nov 30, 2010 at 5:24 PM Post #2,362 of 29,693

Quote:
Quote:

The Grados I've heard with metal: SR-325, RS-2, and GS1000. I didn't like any of them, though I particularly hated the GS1000. Even if the sound was anywhere near the level of my Omega 2, they are just too uncomfortable for me to use them for more than an hour or so.

I like your O2s a lot better than the GS1K for metal.  However, I was wondering what you thought of the bass on the GS1K's vs the O2s?

(small back story, during the first HeadFi Meet I think I was number 2 or 3 to listen to them....Jude and John Grado gave me the pair to listen to through like an iPod, true story, I wonder if Jude remembers).

Nov 30, 2010 at 5:37 PM Post #2,363 of 29,693

Quote:
Allright, lets begin with missing genres: 

Power Metal
Speed Metal
Symphonic Metal
Stoner Metal (Yes, it does exist, believe it or not)
Electrified Metal
Grunge Metal
Folk Metal
Christian Metal (I have yet to hear a good result from this genre)
Satanic Metal
Gothic Metal
Scremo / Screamo

Thats all i could think of right now, anyway - Lets add a few keystone bands to most of these genres to prove they even exist even though some of them should have been obvious:

Power Metal: (VERY large genre...How could you miss it ^^)
Hammerfall
Iced Earth
Stratovarious
Blind Guardian

Speed Metal: 
Dragonforce (The leading master of this genre)

Symphonic Metal:
Symphony X
Therion

Stoner Metal:
Queens of the Stone Age (Only known successful band in this genre)

Electified Metal / Electronic Metal:
Celldweller (A few of his albums)
Dope Stars Inc. 

Folk / Viking metal: (Non-death metal ones)
Glittertind
Tyr

Gothic Metal:
The 69 Eyes
Moonspell
Tiamat

Satanic Metal:
Unleashed (partially)

The rest of the genres i have simply come across, but didnt like, so i have nothing from them.

Screamo is not metal.It came from hadcore punk. :D
This is screamo.

Nov 30, 2010 at 6:14 PM Post #2,364 of 29,693

Quote:
I like your O2s a lot better than the GS1K for metal.  However, I was wondering what you thought of the bass on the GS1K's vs the O2s?  
(small back story, during the first HeadFi Meet I think I was number 2 or 3 to listen to them....Jude and John Grado gave me the pair to listen to through like an iPod, true story, I wonder if Jude remembers).

The GS1000 was in some ways similar to what I didn't like about the Denon D2000. Bloated bass and lower-mids that steamrolled over the midrange. Typical "U" shaped response that a lot of headphones seem to have. The O2 is so much better balanced, and its midrange is spectacular.

Nov 30, 2010 at 6:24 PM Post #2,365 of 29,693

Quote:
Quote:

The GS1000 was in some ways similar to what I didn't like about the Denon D2000. Bloated bass and lower-mids that steamrolled over the midrange. Typical "U" shaped response that a lot of headphones seem to have.

Agreed totally.  However, can you empathize a bit with the O2s having a bit less impact (though much more balanced and controlled) than say the GS1K?

I wish I could borrow a pair of LCD-2's from someone....but the JH3A is so close...

Nov 30, 2010 at 6:49 PM Post #2,366 of 29,693

Quote:
Agreed totally.  However, can you empathize a bit with the O2s having a bit less impact (though much more balanced and controlled) than say the GS1K?  
I wish I could borrow a pair of LCD-2's from someone....but the JH3A is so close...

The Omega 2 doesn't hit as hard as many dynamics, sure. I think the Mk2 release was in some ways an attempt to address that, but you'll notice that most people (myself included) prefer the more balanced original. I find that I'm much less interested in overwhelming bass response than I used to be. Treble and midrange for me are far more important. If headphones are too bright and sibilant I'm quickly fatigued, and if they are too dark and laid back I get bored. If the midrange is recessed and the guitars are buried under kick drums and cymbals, I can't get into the music. That's a huge swath of frequency range to get right. If everything else is near flawless but 25-55Hz or so is a little down on power, no big deal.

Nov 30, 2010 at 7:16 PM Post #2,367 of 29,693

Quote:
Quote:

The Omega 2 doesn't hit as hard as many dynamics, sure. I think the Mk2 release was in some ways an attempt to address that, but you'll notice that most people (myself included) prefer the more balanced original. I find that I'm much less interested in overwhelming bass response than I used to be. Treble and midrange for me are far more important. If headphones are too bright and sibilant I'm quickly fatigued, and if they are too dark and laid back I get bored. If the midrange is recessed and the guitars are buried under kick drums and cymbals, I can't get into the music. That's a huge swath of frequency range to get right. If everything else is near flawless but 25-55Hz or so is a little down on power, no big deal.

Spoken like a true Head-Fi pro....

You know the only thing that shies me away from any electrostatic is amperage.  It just sucks to have so little choices none of which are portable.

Of course I need something I can take to and fro work which is why I have retired my use of fullsize cans.

Nov 30, 2010 at 7:38 PM Post #2,368 of 29,693
It's raining and I'm home with a little time to kill so I thought that I should try to contribute instead of being a prick.

I'm really looking forward to trying a HF2 and LCD2 at the Sydney meet on the 19th.  Never heard a Grado and from all the conflicting opinions, I'm not sure what to think.  I nearly sprung for the HF2s before;

I got Ultrasone Pro900 based on the thrash phones thread.  They're nice and fast with good detail but a bit too bassy on some stuff, Sunn and other sludgy music can be too thick but it helps with bass light/mid rangy thrash and they're great for industrial.

The airy soundstage of my K601 is nice for atmosherics and the mids are reasonably forward so they are my favorite for classical and some metal, but they don't have anywhere near the attack and bass punch of Pro900 when I really want to totally immerse myself and snarl-and-throbbing-bass-goodness. 

I would really like some orthos based on what I've read.  I'm planning to build some thunderpants and I hope that I'll get a nice taste of ortho goodness at the meet.

Nov 30, 2010 at 10:36 PM Post #2,369 of 29,693

Quote:
Spoken like a true Head-Fi pro....  
You know the only thing that shies me away from any electrostatic is amperage.  It just sucks to have so little choices none of which are portable.

Don't even get me started on that. If you don't like to DIY, and you don't like dealing with tubes, (me) your still in production amp choices for driving an O2 properly drop to exactly one, the KGSS. Spritzer says that the Stax 727's problems can be fixed with mods, but that still involves opening up the case and doing the work yourself. Other than that, Stax has no current amp that's of any real interest, and everybody else makes tube amps. The alternative is to use a transformer and speaker amp, which is what I'm working on now. Supposedly if the Woo WEE has a good enough amp behind it, it can outperform my 717 or a KGSS. We'll see.

I will say that the O2 is way harder to drive than any of the other more affordable Stax offerings, which is the major reason why getting a good amp for them is so difficult (and expensive). Any of the mid-level Stax amps should be fine with the new SR-507.

Nov 30, 2010 at 10:42 PM Post #2,370 of 29,693

Quote:
I got Ultrasone Pro900 based on the thrash phones thread.  They're nice and fast with good detail but a bit too bassy on some stuff, Sunn and other sludgy music can be too thick but it helps with bass light/mid rangy thrash and they're great for industrial.

Curious, have you done the Kees mod on them? I don't have the Pro900 myself, but most of the impressions I've seen describe it as a day/night improvement that turns them into Edition 9 killers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back