Lets Talk Metal
Aug 29, 2010 at 6:52 PM Post #1,666 of 29,682

Quote:
Well...from what I understand the new JH-3A allows you to adjust the bass as you see fit.  It was one of the reasons why I pre-ordered it.  But again, I haven't heard it.  I think Soup'ster should probably chime in and talk about the JH13Ps (the 16 is just -3db adjustment on the bass from what I understand).

The cans with awesome bass AND strong attack/decay I've heard in the 770 range was the SA5K's.  But on the downside they are a bit analytical for some tastes.  Your 770Ps are a pretty darn good choice for a bass nut unless you get real esoteric.

haha i think he was looking for music rec's trogdor :p not headphone ones..but indeed, the bass on the 3A's is phenomenal, with 4 bass drivers, and the ability to adjust the bass level on the fly without sacrificing the sound in any other spectrum, its pretty crazy.

as i said, best cans for metal ive heard, with just the 13 pros(which incidentally i thought were amazing at making sense of Origin until i heard what the 3A's could do) and the LCD-2's coming in quite a bit behind in second. OTOH, i pretty much hated the HD800's with metal, also the Omega 2's i thought couldnt compete with the LCD-2's with metal either.

Aug 30, 2010 at 4:53 AM Post #1,668 of 29,682

Quote:
Just a DAC or can it be an amp/DAC combo?  I wasn't sure given the equipment you ordered.  Btw, congrats, you must be excited.

I was not saying the V-DAC was a poor choice, just an odd one since a lot of the MF stuff is enamored by the jazz folks.

If you can name a DAC and a DAC/AMP that you would consider better suited for metal than please, be my guest! I haven't paid for the V-DAC yet. :) I was also considering the Dacmagic or Music Streamer+ but for the latter I decided I wanted someting that isn't USB-only so I can hook it up to my X-Fi's optical-out. 

Aug 30, 2010 at 6:45 AM Post #1,669 of 29,682
Sit this one out and tell me it's not OMG heavy

Prove to me that you have the stamina and reap the reward

And remember, Maximum Volume Yields Maximum Results

Aug 30, 2010 at 10:07 AM Post #1,670 of 29,682

Quote:

Perhaps bit too droning for my tastes, but yeah its quite intense.
smile_phones.gif
The singer also sounds great! I'd like to hear the album version though.

Aug 30, 2010 at 11:03 AM Post #1,671 of 29,682

Quote:
also the Omega 2's i thought couldnt compete with the LCD-2's with metal either.

Which amp did you use when comparing the O2 and LCD-2? The O2's performance hugely depends on what's driving it. I haven't heard the LCD-2, but I'm quite happy with my Omega 2 Mk1 for metal listening. Another bonus is that they are the most comfortable headphones I've ever worn. The LCD-2 doesn't have a reputation for comfort.

Aug 30, 2010 at 12:31 PM Post #1,672 of 29,682

Quote:
haha i think he was looking for music rec's trogdor :p not headphone ones..but indeed, the bass on the 3A's is phenomenal, with 4 bass drivers, and the ability to adjust the bass level on the fly without sacrificing the sound in any other spectrum, its pretty crazy.

as i said, best cans for metal ive heard, with just the 13 pros(which incidentally i thought were amazing at making sense of Origin until i heard what the 3A's could do) and the LCD-2's coming in quite a bit behind in second. OTOH, i pretty much hated the HD800's with metal, also the Omega 2's i thought couldnt compete with the LCD-2's with metal either.

This is what happens when you code for hours and hours and then take a break during a build to read a HeadFi post too fast.

Regardless of metal...if you like bass, I don't see how you can escape Primus...

Aug 30, 2010 at 1:58 PM Post #1,673 of 29,682

Quote:

Which amp did you use when comparing the O2 and LCD-2? The O2's performance hugely depends on what's driving it. I haven't heard the LCD-2, but I'm quite happy with my Omega 2 Mk1 for metal listening. Another bonus is that they are the most comfortable headphones I've ever worn. The LCD-2 doesn't have a reputation for comfort.

i used Justin from headamps setup, which was a BHSE fed from a sony SACD player, and the LCD-2's were used with the cavalli liquid fire from a Onkyo cd player, i didnt hate the omega 2's, i just didnt enjoy them nearly as much as i thought i was going to. I had thought for a long time that they would be my endgame phone, but they certainly werent. for fullsize the lcd-2's would be, at least for me :)

Aug 30, 2010 at 2:14 PM Post #1,674 of 29,682

Quote:
i used Justin from headamps setup, which was a BHSE fed from a sony SACD player, and the LCD-2's were used with the cavalli liquid fire from a Onkyo cd player, i didnt hate the omega 2's, i just didnt enjoy them nearly as much as i thought i was going to. I had thought for a long time that they would be my endgame phone, but they certainly werent. for fullsize the lcd-2's would be, at least for me :)

The O2s are great but dark.  I've had a lot of time with them and they do tend to be on the darker side especially in that midrange which for some can just turn you off.  They remind me of uber responsive Senn HD600s (especially if you are listening to in your face metal).

Never heard the LCD-2's though but sure would like to.  'Statics turn me off in general because you need a heavy-duty amp with them.

I think the O2's are a love it/hate it headphone.  It certainly garners strong reactions from both camps (same with the AKG1Ks).  I think though no matter what your feelings are, they are top tier cans!  :)

Aug 30, 2010 at 3:05 PM Post #1,675 of 29,682
The O2s are great but dark.  I've had a lot of time with them and they do tend to be on the darker side especially in that midrange which for some can just turn you off.  They remind me of uber responsive Senn HD600s (especially if you are listening to in your face metal).

Never heard the LCD-2's though but sure would like to.  'Statics turn me off in general because you need a heavy-duty amp with them.

I think the O2's are a love it/hate it headphone.  It certainly garners strong reactions from both camps (same with the AKG1Ks).  I think though no matter what your feelings are, they are top tier cans!  :)

For me at least, the O2 is much better for metal than the HD800 or the T1. I don't like Grados, and I think the Stax smashes Ultrasone ED8 to bits. The O2 is almost as sensitive to the source as it is to the amp, so its possible that a different source may have worked better. The highs are certainly mellower than the Lambdas etc. but I don't find the O2 to be especially dark in my setup. Headphones that I haven't heard that I would like to compare to the Stax are the Lawton LA7000 and LCD-2. A bass-heavy R10 of course would be lovely, but that ain't happening.

Aug 30, 2010 at 4:04 PM Post #1,676 of 29,682

Quote:
For me at least, the O2 is much better for metal than the HD800 or the T1. I don't like Grados, and I think the Stax smashes Ultrasone ED8 to bits. The O2 is almost as sensitive to the source as it is to the amp, so its possible that a different source may have worked better. The highs are certainly mellower than the Lambdas etc. but I don't find the O2 to be especially dark in my setup. Headphones that I haven't heard that I would like to compare to the Stax are the Lawton LA7000 and LCD-2. A bass-heavy R10 of course would be lovely, but that ain't happening.

HD800 is definitely a no no.  I bought them, listened to them, and promptly sold them.  Grados exacerbate the heavy metal compression syndrome.  What's interesting is I have heard most of Megadeth's Youth on the Orpheus, the R10, and as well as my ex-beloved Qualias.

Qualia's were KICK ARSE for bass because they have the attack/decay as your statics but still give you tons and tons of bass.  Nearly as much as the R10 IMO.

Honestly, DaveBSC, the O2's are an excellent metal can.  You really can't go wrong.  I think they are dark because of the exact reason you gave, the treble (like a lot of statics) doesn't extend like some of the dynamics.

Aug 30, 2010 at 7:28 PM Post #1,677 of 29,682

Quote:

I don't care whether people consider them a hipster band but Boris still makes great mindblowing music. Both Melt-Banana and Boris only did one show in Sydney and that was the last of it. Raged so hard

Aug 30, 2010 at 7:59 PM Post #1,679 of 29,682

Quote:
I don't care whether people consider them a hipster band but Boris still makes great mindblowing music. Both Melt-Banana and Boris only did one show in Sydney and that was the last of it. Raged so hard

Agreed 100%.  They played Sydney in 2007 I think, with Sunn but I missed them being on holidays in Tassy :-/.  Raging with MB & Boris sounds completely insane!!!

Aug 31, 2010 at 2:14 PM Post #1,680 of 29,682

Quote:

Embrace the drone!

It's on Amplifier Worship, which is a great album.  I'm more partial to this live version, just because it's heavier :^)

I... I can't!

Seriously, I'm more into the thick atmospheric touch of Funeral Doom (Wormphlegm, Tyranny (FIN), Nortt etc...) than Drone. But I'll check out that album for sure!

This brings me to the point, have you people heard Tyranny and their album Tides Of Awakening? It is the main project of Wormphlegm guys. Very Lovecraftian funeral doom similar to Catacombs but good lord it is MUCH superior than that band. Atmosphere is so thick I could carve it with a spoon.
basshead.gif

As usual, take your bassiest cans for full effect. *edit* Now that I think about it, Tyranny seems to have quite a bit of Nortt like qualities when it comes to atmosphere, but absolutely none of the black metal elements. Its pure funeral doom to the core.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back