Lets Talk Metal
Apr 6, 2010 at 2:52 PM Post #1,127 of 29,683
Quote:

Originally Posted by acolyte289 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do I detect sarcasm or just gross over-exaggeration.

Probaply overexaggeration. Slayer and Venom used antichristianity for its shock value and it obviously worked (Tom Araya is actually catholic). Iron Maiden also used occult lyrics because they were pretty much taboo back then, making them extreme and badass with the touch of young rebellious attidute.

Quite a few bands, even blackmetal ones, are satanic despite lyrics and are just fueled by the dislike of organised religion, or just want (again) sound badass, or lyrical theme just happens to interest them.

Apr 6, 2010 at 10:06 PM Post #1,128 of 29,683
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fido2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What a disgusting, rude and ignorant comment...seriously.

I've been perusing the used CD store for older stuff lately. One major reason is the "direction" a lot of new metal has taken in theme. As epitomized by the quote. Has this thread turned into "Let's Talk About Black Metal" and bash Jesus? Even Slayer finally grew up and and moved on from this ignorance. Well, for the most part...
biggrin.gif

Aw...look who's offended
tongue.gif

I think the reason why there is less newer bands having anti-religion lyrics is because of the fact that they finally realized that is has been done countless times, and it's time to bring something new to the table in terms of lyricism.

Apr 6, 2010 at 11:37 PM Post #1,129 of 29,683
At least in Norway, some of the foundations of anti-christian themes in particular (more so than anti-general religion or anti-god) in black metal has to do with a sense of anger or a desire for revenge over christianity being "forced" on people who might have preferred Odin over Jesus.

Save us from the Wrath of the Norsemen
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 6, 2010 at 11:48 PM Post #1,130 of 29,683
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hyperfluxe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Aw...look who's offended
tongue.gif

I think the reason why there is less newer bands having anti-religion lyrics is because of the fact that they finally realized that is has been done countless times, and it's time to bring something new to the table in terms of lyricism.

Thankfully this is true. Bands are probably driving thousands of fans away for being satanist, even if their just messing around.

Apr 7, 2010 at 6:11 AM Post #1,132 of 29,683
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Its also the other way around sometimes. Some fans are turning Satanist being influenced by their favorite bands
biggrin.gif

haha, im an atheist so i get to side step the whole issue and just laugh from the sidelines
biggrin.gif

Apr 7, 2010 at 9:52 AM Post #1,133 of 29,683
I've been anti organized religion myself long before any metal influence. But I do believe in God and pray to him... I just don't believe in the churches rules. The Satanist stuff even for the Black Metal guys might just be a form of rebellion that spawned from their hate of religious rules that were spoonfed to them since they were kids. At least thats the idea I get after watching a black metal documentary.

Either way, Metal Rules \m/
biggrin.gif

Apr 7, 2010 at 10:48 AM Post #1,134 of 29,683
Neuromist - Prog/tech death from Moldova - reminiscent of Meshuggah, Cynic, Atheist and Gorod. Their debut full-length "Move of Thought" is available to download for free (320 kbps mp3) from their website.

268822.jpg

Neuromist - Music

Apr 7, 2010 at 11:44 AM Post #1,135 of 29,683
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hyperfluxe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You guys have got to listen to Hour of Penance. Their new album just came out, and it's epochal. Not quite as good as their last album entitled The Vile Conception, but pretty close. They're Technical Brutal Death Metal, by the way. I'll quote myself from a thread on MA showing how I describe them:

"To me, it's like a more elaborate Nile branded death metal without the Egyptian themes, with more intricate and mind blowing drumming, arpeggios sweep solos, better production (especially the low range and mids), and with a slight influence from (new) Behemoth. That translates to some amazing music. Overall, it's a little behind The Vile Conception, but miles ahead of it in terms of production. I think I have a new favorite drummer."

Some tracks to start you guys off: Liturgy of Deceivers, Misconception, Conjuration Sworn, Paradogma, Thousands of Christs, and Hideously Conceived.

Thanks for suggesting these guys. I really like the drumming and the way they were recorded, captured alot fo the impact that you usually only get at live shows, i think its probably becuase they didnt use triggers for the bass. Though the highs arent so good, its a little hard to hear the cymbols, and the guitars definitely take a back seat to the drumming, though he is awesome
biggrin.gif

Apr 7, 2010 at 1:20 PM Post #1,136 of 29,683
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been anti organized religion myself long before any metal influence. But I do believe in God and pray to him... I just don't believe in the churches rules. The Satanist stuff even for the Black Metal guys might just be a form of rebellion that spawned from their hate of religious rules that were spoonfed to them since they were kids. At least thats the idea I get after watching a black metal documentary.

Either way, Metal Rules \m/
biggrin.gif

Pretty much same here.

Quote:

At least in Norway, some of the foundations of anti-christian themes in particular (more so than anti-general religion or anti-god) in black metal has to do with a sense of anger or a desire for revenge over christianity being "forced" on people who might have preferred Odin over Jesus.

Save us from the Wrath of the Norsemen
smily_headphones1.gif

True, atleast in case of more serious bands. They use Satan as tool/weapon against christianity, not as deity.

Apr 7, 2010 at 1:38 PM Post #1,137 of 29,683
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They use Satan as tool/weapon against christianity, not as deity.

Exactly. I think most christians have the wrong idea about Satanic lyrics, that they are actually worshiping the devil. Though there are some bands that actually do, or so they want you to believe. Ondskapt comes to mind.

Apr 7, 2010 at 7:02 PM Post #1,138 of 29,683
Quote:

Originally Posted by Frequen C /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thankfully this is true. Bands are probably driving thousands of fans away for being satanist, even if their just messing around.

The bands who choose to have satanic imagery and themes probably don't want anything to do with "fans" who are turned away from it. It's about individualism and freedom from the constraints of religion. If you can't handle it, it wasn't meant for you.

Apr 8, 2010 at 6:16 AM Post #1,139 of 29,683
This thread has been really helpful as I've been building my metal collection over the past several months.
smily_headphones1.gif
I've amassed the below artists so far (inclusive of all metal sub-genres). Any notable ones I'm missing, given my list? I do have a few more queued up next, like the aforementioned Amon Amarth.

(List is in two "columns" to prevent it from looking too long.)

Agalloch | Amorphis
Anthrax | Arch Enemy
Arcturus | Bathory
Burzum | Black Sabbath
Beyond Twilight | Dark Tranquillity
Darkthrone | Diablo Swing Orchestra
Dimmu Borgir | Dio
Dissection | Disturbed
Dream Theater | Entombed
Epica | Fear Factory
Godsmack | Iced Earth
Immolation | Immortal