Lets Talk Metal
Mar 24, 2010 at 4:00 AM Post #1,036 of 29,660
the whole Final Holocaust album by Massacra is great, I haven't heard Enjoy the Violence though. Speaking of oldschool death/thrash bands, I think Master's self titled is a classic. Love it.

Mar 24, 2010 at 10:07 AM Post #1,038 of 29,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by classakg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I listen to nightwish, epica and In flames...any fans here?

I've struggled to like symphonic metal. Nightwish and Epica don't really do it for me, but if you're really into symphonic bands I highly recommend giving Delain a try. Their debut album is a bit average, but the follow up "April Rain" is fantastic. It's the only symphonic metal album I like enough to listen to more than once.

In Flames and I go way back. The Jester Race remains one of my favorite albums, and Whoracle and Colony helped to define the melodic death metal sound. Since then... eh. I hated Reroute the first time I heard it, but now I think its an ok album. Soundtrack and Come Clarity both suck. A Sense Of Purpose is.. interesting. Not nearly as terrible as the two that came before it, but that's about as much praise as I can give it. I'm curious to see what the band will do now that Jesper Stromblad is gone. It might be time to just pack it in.

Mar 24, 2010 at 1:08 PM Post #1,040 of 29,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveBSC /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've struggled to like symphonic metal. Nightwish and Epica don't really do it for me, but if you're really into symphonic bands I highly recommend giving Delain a try. Their debut album is a bit average, but the follow up "April Rain" is fantastic. It's the only symphonic metal album I like enough to listen to more than once.

In Flames and I go way back. The Jester Race remains one of my favorite albums, and Whoracle and Colony helped to define the melodic death metal sound. Since then... eh. I hated Reroute the first time I heard it, but now I think its an ok album. Soundtrack and Come Clarity both suck. A Sense Of Purpose is.. interesting. Not nearly as terrible as the two that came before it, but that's about as much praise as I can give it. I'm curious to see what the band will do now that Jesper Stromblad is gone. It might be time to just pack it in.

It makes me laugh how similar our tastes are in some aspects of metal, and yet so different in others. If i were to rank In Flames albums, i would put Come Clarity at the top, then Clayman, colony, soundtrack to your escape, Sense of Purpose, reroute to remain, and then lunar strain in last. but i havent heard jester race yet. And its probably because come clarity was the first one i heard, and really the first "real" metal cd i ever heard, so it will always have a special place in my heart
smily_headphones1.gif

as far as symphonic metal goes, epica aint bad, but for some reason i cant really get into it, i do really like the silent force though by Within Temptation, she has probably one of the most beautiful female voices ive heard..though i saw your rec for delain, ill check them out too.

Mar 24, 2010 at 3:26 PM Post #1,041 of 29,660
Since we're on the topic of In Flames...

IMO, these are the only essentials from them: Lunar Strain, The Jester Race, Whoracle as well as the Subterranean and Black Ash Inheritance EPs. Everything else ranges from barely average (Colony, Clayman, Reroute to Remain, Come Clarity) to utter watered-down mediocrity (Soundtrack to Your Escape, A Sense of Purpose).

Daniel Svensson should have kept Sacrilege alive, or just turned down joining In Flames back then so he could make it a top priority. Sacrilege's two albums are underrated Gothenburg melodeath classics, which I hold in high regard.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 24, 2010 at 3:55 PM Post #1,042 of 29,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone like Naflgar here? Good stuff. i'm also listening to the latest Amorphis. I like it too

I think you mean Naglfar? I recommended that band a few posts back
smily_headphones1.gif
Amorphis is a great band too. Right now I listen a lot to Barren Earth. Strong Opeth/Amorphis vibe/worship here. They don't sound original at all to me, but it's still quality music and since I like both Opeth and Amorphis, I find Barren Earth fun to listen to.

Triptykon's Eparistera Daimones is brutal too. Thomas Gabriel Fischer is back
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 24, 2010 at 5:57 PM Post #1,043 of 29,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by Flipjack /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Triptykon's Eparistera Daimones is brutal too. Thomas Gabriel Fischer is back
smily_headphones1.gif

+666!

I didn't think they could ever top Monotheist, but Eparistera Daimones is a tr00 monster of an album, blasting torrents of darkness from start to finish. "Abyss Within My Soul" =
very_evil_smiley.gif

I'll be ordering that album soon.
icon10.gif

Mar 24, 2010 at 8:52 PM Post #1,044 of 29,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by SoupRKnowva /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It makes me laugh how similar our tastes are in some aspects of metal, and yet so different in others. If i were to rank In Flames albums, i would put Come Clarity at the top, then Clayman, colony, soundtrack to your escape, Sense of Purpose, reroute to remain, and then lunar strain in last. but i havent heard jester race yet. And its probably because come clarity was the first one i heard, and really the first "real" metal cd i ever heard, so it will always have a special place in my heart
smily_headphones1.gif

Yeah we do seem to like a lot of the same stuff. The first metal album I bought was Master Of Puppets (which I think holds up just a bit better than Come Clarity lol). I listened to it so much that the CD eventually became mostly unreadable, so I replaced my worn out copy with the DCC gold version. Worth it.

Mar 24, 2010 at 10:05 PM Post #1,045 of 29,660
I don't really like In Flames, although I guess I have their presence on Guitar Hero to thank for helping me transition from Slipknot to real death metal.

Mar 25, 2010 at 12:29 AM Post #1,046 of 29,660
I just picked up the new Triptykon CD. So far its pretty killer. I have always liked Celtic Frost. Into the Pandemonium has always been one of my all time favorites.
This Triptykon is pretty wild!! lol...listening to it on the phones right now...
eek.gif

I also picked up Voivod Infini. I have been meaning to pick that one up but never did. It's good too. Jason Newsted is still a killer bassist.

Mar 25, 2010 at 9:33 AM Post #1,049 of 29,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azathoth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
+666!

I didn't think they could ever top Monotheist, but Eparistera Daimones is a tr00 monster of an album, blasting torrents of darkness from start to finish. "Abyss Within My Soul" =
very_evil_smiley.gif

I'll be ordering that album soon.
icon10.gif

It's an amazing album. Maybe Tommmy G's best album next to Into the Pandemonium.

I'm listening to the album on CD right now and have the vinyl on order.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back