Lets Talk Metal
May 31, 2009 at 2:59 AM Post #436 of 29,685
6be99_l_de797a9fee154b62a92ed97d354a2682.jpg

The new Augury will be amazing !!! There's a preview of the new album on their Myspace.

Jun 20, 2009 at 12:17 AM Post #437 of 29,685
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fido2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What do you guys listen to when you need a break from the metal? I like Morrissey...lol...I know weird huh? I also listen to jazz, bluegrass and Neil Young etc

I listen to punk, rock, trance, and Jello Biafra's spoken word when I'm not listening to metal.
Anyway, anyone herd of a death metal/grindcore band called Abnormality?
I've only got one of their songs from their demo and they beat a lot of other bands to a pulp.
Their musicianship is beyond awesome! Rock Band 2, anyone?

Jun 20, 2009 at 1:21 AM Post #438 of 29,685
Quote:

What do you guys listen to when you need a break from the metal? I like Morrissey...lol...I know weird huh? I also listen to jazz, bluegrass and Neil Young etc

Various classical, basic rock&roll like CCR or harder like AC/DC, dark ambient like Raison D'etre or Lustmord etc...

Some Hardtrance will also go from time to time.

Jul 27, 2009 at 3:28 PM Post #439 of 29,685
Hooo boy! I finally saw the Sonisphere - Pori last saturday, with Metallica (my first time seeing them. Have waited for this about 10 years) and all. Hot damn it was a nice fest. This is will be a long post, sorry about that. First I have to mention that I was surprised by the soundquality of this festival. Of course I had to wear my E.A.R earplugs but it was really clear sounding and every instrument in every band was clearly audible. I was already so used to infathomable mishmash of boomy bass and sizzling treble in every metal gig. Anyway...

I arrived bit late so managed to see only last song from Mastodon who played on the main stage, but thats okay since im not really a fan. No comments here

Then I watched the gig of Nicole on second stage. It was okay. Aggressive and powerfull sounding live music, but really it is rather simple and obviously deathcore inspired. A one big breakdown chugging basically, but it was cool. And second, what kind of metalband name is Nicole!? What does that name remind you of, Anna-Nicole Smith? Nitpicking, I know, but every one of my friends and my sister too was bothered by the same thing. I would really like to hear the background behind that name...

Then played Lamb Of God on mainstage. It was obvious right from the start who are professionals after the Nicoles gig. Im not a fan of Lamb Of God, but I do realise that they make good songs with some good ideas and it really works on live too. Here is a good spot to explain that the crowd area was divided to several half circles by low fences, and I was standing in the second circle right at the fence between first and second circles, quite close to stage that is and very close to Circle Pitting and Death Walling that was going on at the first circle in front of the stage. It looked very amusing. I think Pits are bit dumb and dangerous, but its fun to watch when people are really living the music.
smily_headphones1.gif

Then there was Diablo on second stage who did an extremely good gig with great songs. Though Im mostly unfamiliar with them, havent listened them much but they sounded really good on live. It was something between Thrash and melodic deathmetal, it was a headbanger heaven for me.
smily_headphones1.gif
I have to check out this band further.

Then there was Machine Head on main stage, which had very dramatic end. I sort of looked forward to this band. I used to be a big fan on my earlier metalfan years. Nowadays I think they are bit boring and bland, but I still love their crushing atmosphere. And it was really good too, for how long it lasted. Crowd was obviously also enjoying, the circle pit was much larger than on Lamb Of Gods gig. But it was also obvious that majority of the crowd was not familiar with MH songs, only few knew the lyrics when Robb tried to make the crowd sing with him. Then he made a noise contest to see which half of the crowd was louder. He said that he thinks his left side is better (which made them cheer and flash devil horns), and then he turned to the right sade and remarked that he thinks thats where the "Wimp" Bizkit fans are. (which made that side rise their middle fingers and me collapse from laughter) The gig however came to halt when Phil, their guitarist, collapsed! He was taken away by medics and Robb and Adam came to explain that this has happened before too and they know that they are not able to continue. I first thought that he suffers from epilepsy or similar seizures but later found out that Phil has had heart problems for long time. Quick recovery dude!

After that I went to beer area and watched the gig of Turisas from there. I was not really interested in them, but now I think that perhaps I should have watched them closer. They seemed to have a very good and uplifting time. Well, the beer and White Russian drinks were good too so I'm not complaining.
beerchug.gif

I also spent there a majority of Linking Parks gig, but at the middle I started slowly swimming through the crowd as close as possible to the spot where I watched Lamb Of God and Machine Head and where my friends were waiting, and while people around me were singing "Craaawling Iiiin My Skiiin" AAARGH!!! OMG it was torture and I felt so alone there too in my hate...

And this leads me to the impressions of Linking Park gig. I leave the music alone as you probaply already know that I loathe them. But they really did a BAD gid! It was so bad that it was mentioned all over the newspapers and so on, think about THAT. The band did nothing to get the crowd live with the music and enjoy, so speeches, NOTHING! The band really seemed bored and they just played song after another like it was coming from a CD or something! Now that I think about it, perhaps it really was all playback...
evil_smiley.gif

*edit* Forgot that only one person from Linkin Part somewhat impressed me. The guy who does the rapping. He tried to be somewhat lively at the gig, and he also seems to be quite versatile when it comes to instruments. He switched back and forth from guitar to keybs and so on. Thumbs up for him, too bad rest of the bend was almost dead.

After the Linkin Park stopped, the crowd scattered a bit to watch Saxon on second stage. I letted that band pass as I wanted to have the spot where I watched Lamb Of God and Machine Head, so I was again reunited with my pals and sis.

*fast forward for hour or two*

So finally Metallica appeared, with Battery! The set list was dominated by Metallicas old material, with only few of songs from newer albums like Cyanide and Fuel (nice flame pillars there. Even from distance the wave of heat was strong, I wonder how hot Metallica feels them! Jesus!), All Nightmare Long etc.. Almost all the great hits were there, Creeping Death, One (with fantastic fireworks at start), and crowd went absolutely nuts with Master Of Puppets. Through the gig the crowd was in 100% (all +-60000) and Hetfield and co. was obviously enjoying too. And finally the encore with Seek & Destroy. Before playing the song Hetfield thanked everyone for being so loud and singing with them, and asked if they can make it even louder. I think we managed to do it quite well, because at the "Searching, Seek & Destroy" I could hardly hear the music. My sister said that she almost passed out once from singing/shouting along.
biggrin.gif
I was coughing a bit too after the gig...

A minute or two after the gig, Metallice returned to stage, and the members one by one did a short speech where they thanked everyone and they had such a blast here, and Ulrich even said out of all the Sonispheres they have gone around, this has been way best so far. If I understood correctly, Metallica coming back to thank the crowd and stuff like that doesnt happen THAT often, so you're welcome Metallica! And enjoy the flag-gift someone managed to give you from the crowd!

Metallicas perfomance. Hetfield was fricking awesome, no errors and he did what the frontman should do and did it excellently, as your probaply noticed above. Robert, well, Im not good at evaluating bass players but he did his job. Surprisingly he didnt do the spinning at Seek & Destroy which I was expecting, or atleast I managed to miss it completely for some reason. Lars, well, Lars was Lars. Bit sloppy but no glaring errors and did his job. Hammet unfortunately was not himself apparently. He was enjoying the gig, but it seemed like he simplified the solos a bit and even made a couple of errors in them. I THINK he even played the main riff of Motorbreath wrong way around too, however that is possible. It just sounded bit wrong. But otherwise he played really really well.

And thats that. Again, sorry about the long post (and possible typos. I'll do proofreading later) but I couldnt make it any smaller. Overall, it has been one of the best times I have ever had in my life so far. Oh man, I would really like to see it all again...

*edit* Here is a good youtube clip of the Seek & Destroy right there. I was about has far as the camera man here, but at the center.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rQ9jZmDt4c

Jul 28, 2009 at 1:16 PM Post #442 of 29,685
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Glad you had a great time seeing Metallica. Perhaps they should stick to touring, and stay out of the studio permanently!
wink.gif

Not a bad idea actually.
smily_headphones1.gif
They obviously have lost their touch for new music and their last good album came around 1991 and that fame is still what carries them and will carry till the day Metallica ends, people will never get bored of those songs on live.
icon10.gif

Quote:

Awesome man! Sounds like a hell of a show. Wish I could have been there!

Yup! It was awesome! It was really close that the fest did not fail though. Every weather forecast predicted heavy rain. Luckily it was just cloudy (which is a good thing, glaring sun that burns your face isnt fun either) and cool temperature. Only at machine heads and metallicas gigs there was a very light rain that lasted for few minutes. I didnt even get wet from those. We had a great luck this time.

Jul 28, 2009 at 5:37 PM Post #443 of 29,685
Oh noooo... I'm a huge MH fan but this must be like the 5th time that Phil has collapsed
frown.gif
I haven't seen them yet and now I fear I never will.. at least not with Phil as lead guitar

Good to hear metallica plays mostly old songs... i haven't seen them yet and have decided that maybe its better that I never see them.. that way, it won't ruin the love I have for them based on their first 4 albums... maybe I will see them now .. maybe

Anyway, I've noticed that Kirk really sucks live.. I mean even in 92 when I watched him on Live ****: Binge & Purge, he was messy, not very technical, simplified hard solos, etc. And every live DVD I've seen since has been the same thing... its like he can't do what he does on the album unless he gets 20 takes on it

Jul 30, 2009 at 3:30 AM Post #444 of 29,685
Anyone like Scar Symmetry? They have announced a release date and a track list of their new album Dark Matter Dimensions.

Quote:

Dark Matter Dimensions - NEW ALBUM DETAILS
Category: Music
SCAR SYMMETRY - ANNOUNCE NEW ALBUM + COVER ARTWORK

Swedish melodic progressive death metallers SCAR SYMMETRY have set Dark Matter Dimensions as the title of their new album, due in October via Nuclear Blast Records.

TRACK LIST:
01. The Iconoclast
02. The Consciousness Eaters
03. Noumenon And Phenomenon
04. Ascension Chamber
05. Mechanical Soul Cybernetics
06. Non-Human Era
07. Dark Matter Dimensions
08. Sculptor Void
09. A Parenthesis In Eternity
10. Frequency-Shifter
11. Radiant Strain
12. Pariah

SCAR SYMMETRY parted ways with singer Christian Alvestam last year due to "business and creative differences and lack of interpersonal chemistry." The band explained at the time, "We came to a point where the band's existence was in jeopardy because of these differences, and the only way for us to continue with an inspired state of mind was to go through with this change in the lineup."

Christian has since been replaced by Roberth Karlsson (lead growl vocals and backing clean vocals) and Lars Palmqvist (lead clean vocals and backing growl vocals).

I can't wait! Scar Symmetry is my favorite band.
biggrin.gif

Jul 30, 2009 at 4:09 AM Post #445 of 29,685
Quote:

Originally Posted by plonter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The best doom-death band i heard so far is "swallow the sun" in fact i am listening to their last album called "hope" right now. beautiful.

Little late to the game on this thread, but I agree. Swallow the Sun is amazing. Have you tried their new EP Plague of the Butterflies? The first 11 minutes of the title track are some of the best music they have ever recorded.

Jul 30, 2009 at 10:33 AM Post #448 of 29,685
I like scar symmetry. Will have to check that new album.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back