Lets Talk Metal
Jan 4, 2009 at 1:06 PM Post #18 of 29,651
The Fates Warning album "Awaken the Guardian" has always been a favorite of mine. I bought that one new back in '86 on cassette tape. Awesome album IMO. I found, not too long ago, a 3 disc box set of said album with the CD, Demo CD and a DVD.
I'm not a huge fan of the newer FW stuff though.
FWIW I never loved Kill em All either.

Jan 4, 2009 at 4:01 PM Post #19 of 29,651
For me, the best black metal album of all time is Arcturus: Aspera hiems symfonia.

On the more gothic/doom side of things, I like Theatre of Tragedy's first two albums (self-titled and Velvet Darkness They Fear). Then again, I haven't been listening to much else in this genre since the late 90's. =)

Jan 4, 2009 at 7:18 PM Post #21 of 29,651
Quote:

Originally Posted by Arkku /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For me, the best black metal album of all time is Arcturus: Aspera hiems symfonia.

On the more gothic/doom side of things, I like Theatre of Tragedy's first two albums (self-titled and Velvet Darkness They Fear). Then again, I haven't been listening to much else in this genre since the late 90's. =)

Was just listening to Theatre of Tragedys self titled last night. What a great cd. There was so much awesome metal coming out in the mid 90's, its crazy.

Jan 4, 2009 at 7:57 PM Post #22 of 29,651
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fido2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Fates Warning album "Awaken the Guardian" has always been a favorite of mine. I bought that one new back in '86 on cassette tape. Awesome album IMO. I found, not too long ago, a 3 disc box set of said album with the CD, Demo CD and a DVD.
I'm not a huge fan of the newer FW stuff though.
FWIW I never loved Kill em All either.

AAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!111
I love Fates Warning. My fav are Parallels and Perfect Symmetry. But the older albums are great too!

Jan 5, 2009 at 2:02 PM Post #23 of 29,651
While we're all here, will you fellow metalheads recommend your favorite headphone for metal listening. My GS1000's sound good but they are better for quieter, gentler instrumental, vocal music. My amp is a Woo WA6 maxxed. The SR80's are great on my portable rig.

Thanks

Jan 5, 2009 at 2:54 PM Post #24 of 29,651
For some raw, kvlt stuff you're gonna wanna go stock Ipod buds. Nothing else quite brings out that buzz-saw guitar, empty milk jug drum, lack of production sound.

For everything else I use my HFI 2200. They're probably not the best phones for metal out there, but they're the best I have at the moment. Aside from the highs sounding a bit bright at times I really can't complain though.

Jan 5, 2009 at 2:58 PM Post #25 of 29,651
Quote:

For some raw, kvlt stuff you're gonna wanna go stock Ipod buds. Nothing else quite brings out that buzz-saw guitar, empty milk jug drum, lack of production sound.

lol at above.
biggrin.gif

I use my SA5000 for about everything, and SR225 when I need some Grado flavor. SA5000 has enough "prat" and punch to sound exciting in metal, yet it has good soundstage and speed and detail to pick everything under the mayhem of guitars, drums and bad production. Might be bit clinical at the times but I dont care.

Jan 5, 2009 at 3:09 PM Post #27 of 29,651
Grado all the way, the beyers i have might be rather listenable for some albums ( i use them on some recordings i find harsh, like some Opeth for example ) but for anything else my sr225 provide the punch and speed i need for metal, especially in the bass region, where the dt-990s are able to turn some good death metal into a bass drum solo....even Yes and Rush sound much better through my grados
wink.gif
However, i think we should not avoid, but at least limit the amount of technical discussion in this thread, while very interesting...but we are on the Music subforums....

Jan 5, 2009 at 3:19 PM Post #29 of 29,651
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fido2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Excellent. I haven't even tried my SR80's with metal on the Woo yet. Is there a substantial difference in the SR80-->SR225 sound? If so can you help describe it?

All plastic Grados have same basic soundsignature, with little adjustments here and there and more refinement. So no, there is no night and day difference as both sound like Grados through and through. If you havent tried your SR80 on your desktop rig, do so now.

Jan 5, 2009 at 3:20 PM Post #30 of 29,651
I can compare them with the alessandro Ms1, the 225s are a bit darker, less thin sounding, have more bass punch, i don't find them much more upfront or aggressive as many generally describe the difference between grados and alessandros, they have the same sound signature with more overall detail and refinement...it's not a night and day difference however, but if you have a listening session with the 225 and switch back to the ms1...you'll feel something's missing...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back