Lets Talk Metal
Jan 5, 2009 at 3:37 PM Post #31 of 29,629
I'm liking the sound of extreme metal like Cryptopsy, Misery Index, and Origin on my new HD650s. Lots of balls. But I'm still waiting for the headphone amp and DAC. Should get even better.

Jan 5, 2009 at 4:25 PM Post #32 of 29,629
At the moment I am listening mainly to Melodic Death Metal like Imperanon, or Wintersun, and even some Ensiferum (I think the album Iron for being Folk Metal is quite listenable - I say that because other folk metal bands bore me)

Others not so daily are Lamb of God, Illnath, Arsis, Mastodon, etc...

I will have to try them all with my new acquired (with around 3 hours burn in) Grado sr225 (which I think sound better than the sr80, at least it is noticeable)

Also Mastodon

Jan 5, 2009 at 5:28 PM Post #33 of 29,629
^ Hey Bullseye,
What difference do you notice in SR80 to 225?

Thanks for the responses peeps...I'm going to try my SR80's with the Woo and some chugga/chug metal here in a bit. I don't have time right this sec...I'll report back.

Jan 5, 2009 at 7:37 PM Post #34 of 29,629
Quote:

Originally Posted by japc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ibuds? Kidding right?

Oh god yes.

However, some productions will never sound "good" (that's in the dynamic, can hear the notes, technical sense of good) and, as such, your choice of cans is probably irrelevant. Maybe not to the point of ibuds, but I just don't imagine there being a huge difference between most phones when listening to Transilvanian Hunger.

Jan 5, 2009 at 7:50 PM Post #35 of 29,629
LOL...I'm starting to see that production/recording standards for most metal are pretty lame. That sucks too because this music has something to offer and if it sounds terrible on a nice rig then what? I don't want to listen on just iBuds and a shuffle...LOL!!
Oh well...the GS1000 still reign but they reveal every weakness in the source. The SR80's have less bass and less high end but maybe a little more forward in the mids. This can help to cover some of the imperfections in the source CD.

Anyone but me like this CD:

Jan 5, 2009 at 8:10 PM Post #36 of 29,629
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wenglish /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh god yes.

However, some productions will never sound "good" (that's in the dynamic, can hear the notes, technical sense of good) and, as such, your choice of cans is probably irrelevant. Maybe not to the point of ibuds, but I just don't imagine there being a huge difference between most phones when listening to Transilvanian Hunger.

Actually I sort of disagree. The "low-fi" production of Transilvanian Hunger is part of its music, part what makes all those melodies and atmospheric passes more haunting. I sure as hell dont want it to be affected by bad headphones. Of course earbuds wont kill the music and good rig wont make it "something brilliant" with incredible dynamics and details, but having good music system does still sound better.

However, choosing right headphones CAN improve some blackmetal, artificially perhaps but still. Having headphones with big soundstage sounds great, with it picturing a large fuzzy tremolo filled wall of sound in front of your face. AKGs are good at that.

Jan 5, 2009 at 8:26 PM Post #37 of 29,629
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually I sort of disagree. The "low-fi" production of Transilvanian Hunger is part of its music, part what makes all those melodies and atmospheric passes more haunting. I sure as hell dont want it to be affected by bad headphones. Of course earbuds wont kill the music and good rig wont make it "something brilliant" with incredible dynamics and details, but having good music system does still sound better.

However, choosing right headphones CAN improve some blackmetal, artificially perhaps but still. Having headphones with big soundstage sounds great, with it picturing a large fuzzy tremolo filled wall of sound in front of your face. AKGs are good at that.

Oh, I completely agree (and appreciate) the low fi production of TH, without it i couldn't imagine the album. I just think that compared to most other genres the raw scene gets less benefit from better cans.

I don't have any AKGs to test with, sadly. Instead of just talking about it from memory I think I'm going to go sit down and a/b/c some black metal. I should be able to find a set of buds here to compare against my RX700s and HFI2200s. Which reminds me that it's been entirely too long since I've listened to Goat Horns.

Jan 5, 2009 at 9:38 PM Post #39 of 29,629
Quote:

Originally Posted by japc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Rule of thumb: if it's not on metal-archives it is not metal.

Well not absolutely 100% of what they don't have on Metal Archives is not metal. Some bands (don't wanna search for them now, listening to Imperanon with grado sr225 :p) don't appear yet there, and they are metal.

Edit: i am not going against you because you are portuguese
biggrin.gif

Jan 5, 2009 at 10:48 PM Post #41 of 29,629
Hell yeah Zack, Dismember is awesome! I like that Entombed "Wolverine Blues" sorta sound like on their newest album. So Hatebreed ain't metal? What is it then, just modern day AC/DC, hard rock?

Jan 5, 2009 at 11:23 PM Post #42 of 29,629
It's metalcore/hardcore , however, while i tend to agree that if something isn't on metal-archives, then it is not metal...IMO it's not true the other way around, tons of truly lame "myspace" deathcore bands are listed on MA, while having to do with heavy metal as much as Elvis Presley...I mean...they are not much less related with metal than SOAD or KORN ( which are rightfully excluded ), but are still there.... That's my personal opinion...

Jan 5, 2009 at 11:32 PM Post #44 of 29,629
Quote:

Originally Posted by Meliboeus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's metalcore/hardcore , however, while i tend to agree that if something isn't on metal-archives, then it is not metal...IMO it's not true the other way around, tons of truly lame "myspace" deathcore bands are listed on MA, while having to do with heavy metal as much as Elvis Presley...I mean...they are not much less related with metal than SOAD or KORN ( which are rightfully excluded ), but are still there.... That's my personal opinion...

Yeah. The oposite is definitely not true.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back